Management Ownership: Jeremy Jacobs & Family

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
We’ll use this thread to discuss all things ownership.

1658954722301.jpeg

Reactions: CrownofThornton

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
JerseyBruin said:

Right but if your an owner why would you be satisfied with mediocre results when winning the cup brings much more money. People say all Jacobs cares about is to get his 1st round playoff money - as a businessman that's just a flawed thought process.

The building sells out. Every night.

He owns the team. He owns the Garden. He owns the land adjacent to the Garden. He owns the concessions. He owns the parking. He owns an interest in NESN.

The Bruins are worth at least $1.3 billion. Burns himself is worth at least $2.9 billion.

Let me make this plain for you. As long as those things are true, JEREMY JACOBS DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING f*** ABOUT BOSTON, THE BRUINS, OR YOU.

Clear?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
JerseyBruin said:

Right but if your an owner why would you be satisfied with mediocre results when winning the cup brings much more money. People say all Jacobs cares about is to get his 1st round playoff money - as a businessman that's just a flawed thought process.

He owns the team. He owns the Garden. He owns the land adjacent to the Garden. He owns the concessions. He owns the parking. He owns an interest in NESN.

The Bruins are worth at least $1.3 billion. Burns himself is worth at least $2.9 billion.

Let me make this plain for you. As long as those things are true, JEREMY JACOBS DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING f*** ABOUT BOSTON, THE BRUINS, OR YOU.

Clear?
Thanks for writing what I would have. Currently battling Covid and don't have the energy to rip Monty Burns for his years of terrible ownership.

Back to bed but never forget the ONLY thing Monty cares about is money not winning.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Storer Broadcasting decided to sell the team instead of giving Orr a new contract.

Jacobs paid $10 million for the team and the Garden but only $2 million of that was in cash. Storer was given a 10-year extension on the TV rights worth $8 million on paper.

clip_106433145.jpg

clip_106433567.jpg

But the contract never happened

clip_106434082.jpg

Orr over the next 4 seasons only was able to play 36 more games, 10 with Boston and 26 with Chicago.

At the time it was reported the Bruins were unable to get any insurance on Orr because of the knee but years later we learned the truth - Eagleson had made a secret deal with Bill Wirtz.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
JerseyBruin said:

Clear?
I have saying this for years .................nice post

Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have saying this for years .................nice post

Keeping the team just good enough to get in the playoffs is a lot less risky and a lot easier than making the team good enough to win the whole thing. In the modern NHL teams for the most part have had to suffer through some lean years in order to become good enough to win. Jacobs is not willing to do that although you'd think he would be after seeing how much $$$ the team generated from winning the Cup.

Jacobs wants a steady stream of cash flowing into his bank account. He doesn't want a boom/bust cycle.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I hate to be the guy to defend him every time, but here I am again. Jeremy Jacobs is a good owner, and dare I say he may be the best owner in professional hockey.

The owner's job isn't to win cups. It's to maintain an efficient business and lead an organization that is profitable with a sustainable balance sheet. He provides the budget to the hockey operations department and it's hockey operations' job to use those resources to put the team on the ice with the goal of winning. And Hockey Ops is accountable to ownership because winning/losing affects the balance sheet, etc. And in the cap world, you can't blame ownership for being cheap anymore.

The characterization of Jacobs as just money grubbing and leeching off the Bruins isn't even true. There have been some NHL owners who were rapacious grifters looking to line their own pockets - Bruce McNall, the Atlanta group, etc. Jacobs by contrast has set up a very healthy organization with a long-term scope. Per Forbes the Bruins are the 5th most valuable franchise in the league, but they're actually in healthier shape than the organizations ahead of them: the Rangers (1) and Leafs' (2) ownership groups are really leveraged. Like, majorly. The Habs (3) are always at the mercy of politics and local economics, and since the last Forbes list came out the Blackhawks (4) have taken massive hits to their value for on and off ice reasons. The Bruins are not leveraged very much at all compared to the rest of the league, they own their own television and arena, just opened a new practice rink and other facilities in the last few years, etc.

In a 32 team league it's hard to win a cup. But the Bruins have consistently been in the hunt for the last 13 years and made it to three finals and got one cup over that span. The idea of an owner going all in with resources or meddling in operations because they treat the franchise like a toy and winning becomes a higher goal than stability like a Jerry Jones type usually causes more trouble than success (look at Jerry Jones' Cowboys). The Rangers, Leafs, and Habs haven't won anything in a long time. But there's some perception that Dolan cares more because he can be a spendthrift, but they usually have a small window where they're competitive for 3 years then out of the playoffs for 5 years, etc. Snyder in Philly was the same, chasing cups and failing for 30 years causing rebuilds every 4 years. At least the Bruins have sustained something.

People mainly hate that JJ didn't open the wallet to spend a lot on free agents back in the 90s when the Red Wings and Rangers were going crazy, etc. and they also blame him for Harry Sinden being too much of a hardass in negotiations. And the things that the Wings, Rangers, Blues, Stars, etc. were doing in the 90s led to a massive work stoppage and threatened the viability of the league.

Not trying to praise the guy and say he's perfect, but he's far too hated now and doesn't get credit for the good organization that he's built here. The Bruins might be the healthiest organization in the league financially right now and that will give hockey operations the resources to be competitive. It's on Neely/Sweeney to turn that into cups.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Keeping the team just good enough to get in the playoffs is a lot less risky and a lot easier than making the team good enough to win the whole thing. In the modern NHL teams for the most part have had to suffer through some lean years in order to become good enough to win. Jacobs is not willing to do that although you'd think he would be after seeing how much $$$ the team generated from winning the Cup.

Jacobs wants a steady stream of cash flowing into his bank account. He doesn't want a boom/bust cycle.
It was even more disgusting , when there was no salary cap and Harry was running the show...........

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Thanks for writing what I would have. Currently battling Covid and don't have the energy to rip Monty Burns for his years of terrible ownership.

Back to bed but never forget the ONLY thing Monty cares about is money not winning.
I hope you get over Covid quickly and feel better.

As for the Jacobs family, they care about three things: Money, the most expedient way to make guaranteed money, and sometimes PR. All other considerations are secondary, especially in times like now, when the team is not a contender.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It was even more disgusting , when there was no salary cap and Harry was running the show...........

Oh believe me I know, I was a fan back then. The final straw was when Ray Bourque was traded because it was the only way he'd ever get a real honest to goodness chance to win a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Thank you, BMC.

And this, dear reader, is the nail on the head.

Go back to it. Check it one more time. Learn it by heart.

This is true. As true as it gets.

To all those who don't understand why Jacobs is happy with a playoff gate or two, rather than a Cup, this is your answer.

1658964964672.png

1658964990337.png

1658965008547.png

1658965222990.png

1658965358069.png

1658965457057.png

Who owns this?

Attachments

• 1658965134850.png
    1658965134850.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1658965286997.png
    1658965286997.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Babajingo

Thank you, BMC.

And this, dear reader, is the nail on the head.

Go back to it. Check it one more time. Learn it by heart.

This is true. As true as it gets.

To all those who don't understand why Jacobs is happy with a playoff gate or two, rather than a Cup, this is your answer.

View attachment 573046

View attachment 573047

View attachment 573048

View attachment 573049

Who owns this?
And they use the "The fans don't want a rebuild" excuse and people buy it. I've been a fan for 50 yrs. Through good and bad times. I know that I can handle a rebuild of a couple of years and then start showing improvements. Most B's fans I know feel the same way. The problem is that we know that this FO couldn't rebuild a Duplo Kitty
1658965461199.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad