Owners cave again??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Trottier said:
Reading is fundamental, you know?

Instead of creating differences where none exist, why not stand on your own Braveheart? Do you think that the needs of 0-15 (depending on who's "facts" one wishes to rely on) financially periled franchises should be the sole/major focus of the CBA, from the owner's perspective?

Try taking a stand, instead of playing the role of guttersnipe contrarian to perfection.

I'm flattered that you choose to misconstrue my posts with frequency, but for the sake of the board, the "Ignore" button appears to be in order.

Sadly, some folks are not happy unless they are disagreeable, one guesses.

Oh, one last one for you: today is Thursday, January 27th. Care to debate that one? ;)

I've taken numerous stands, Deputy Fife, mostly stating that the best solution would be an NBA-type system. I've laid out my proposal (and how it would benefit all parties) in various other threads and don't feel the need the rehash it.
Again, if my facts are so skewed, biased, unobjective, whatever .. refute them.

"Oh, one last one for you: today is Thursday, January 27th. Care to debate that one?"
Sure. In several parts of the world it is Friday, January 28th.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Trottier said:
Exactly!

But alas, your reasoning addresses the very real economic concerns of these franchises.

It does not address the real motivation of some fans: denying even moderate economic freedoms moving forward to more affluent franchises. ;)

As is, a softcap + luxury tax will discourage many teams from spending lavishly. Just look at MLB. Three teams(!) have chosen to exceed that league's luxury threshold. Three! The softcap will serve as a de facto hardcap for many teams, I suspect. (a.k.a. a legal excuse not to increase their payrolls).
not being an MLB expert, im sure one could argue the threshold is only exceeded by 3 teams because its so high.

would the same thing not be said right now if the NHL had a 60m LT threshold all these years ? its an almost meaningless marker since only a few NHL teams would even consider spending 60m on payroll no matter what system was used.

not to be mistaken with a supporter of the garbage the NHL has been promoting, but thought this point was interesting.

it bother me none that TOR and NYR can outspend the teams i chear for. big deal.

dr

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
PitkanenPower said:
Canadians here are telling me that their teams can't afford to be in the league. So if Edmonton moves to a market that can afford them, or if they fold, and you, in Edmonton, stop watching the NHL... which no longer would exist there... how does that hurt me?

For the record, I see nothing magical about 30 teams.

Well if Edmonton goes, because a garbage CBA deal is signed, then very likely Calgary, Montreal, and Ottawa can go as well. Followed not too far behind the by the Canucks. You lose out on the money you get from the Canadian tv deal. Not too mention the loss in popularity in the league. If you're so confident that Canadians will still support the NHL with one NHL franchise or none at all. Take them away and see what happens.

Thats right, alot of the Canadian teams cannot afford to be in the league right now. Neither can about 10 teams in the states. You want a ridiculous CBA to be signed to allow your Flyers to be able to keep their high end talent, while other teams fold. Have fun trying to make a 10 team league float consisting of 9 American teams. Canada's importance to the league runs far beyond just having 6 teams up there, and that you will never truly understand.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
DR said:
would the same thing not be said right now if the NHL had a 60m LT threshold all these years ? its an almost meaningless marker since only a few NHL teams would even consider spending 60m on payroll no matter what system was used.
7 teams were over 60M in salary last year.

NorthOiler

Jan 26, 2005
NWT
PitkanenPower said:
Canadians here are telling me that their teams can't afford to be in the league. So if Edmonton moves to a market that can afford them, or if they fold, and you, in Edmonton, stop watching the NHL... which no longer would exist there... how does that hurt me?

Its a good thing for the small market canadian cites that there are many small market american cities in the same boat. If Edmonton leaves or folds, so do many "prized" american teams. Look in your own backyard.

This aint a Canadian problem ... this is a NHL problem.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
PitkanenPower said:

Well if Edmonton goes, because a garbage CBA deal is signed, then very likely Calgary, Montreal, and Ottawa can go as well. Followed not too far behind the by the Canucks. You lose out on the money you get from the Canadian tv deal. Not too mention the loss in popularity in the league. If you're so confident that Canadians will still support the NHL with one NHL franchise or none at all. Take them away and see what happens.

Thats right, alot of the Canadian teams cannot afford to be in the league right now. Neither can about 10 teams in the states. You want a ridiculous CBA to be signed to allow your Flyers to be able to keep their high end talent, while other teams fold. Have fun trying to make a 10 team league float consisting of 9 American teams. Canada's importance to the league runs far beyond just having 6 teams up here, and that you will never truly understand.

You can't even get one column on PTI for christ's sake. I've watched almost everyday over the whole lockout and its been brought up maybe twice at the end of the show. The NHL will never ever survive without Canada.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
DR said:
not being an MLB expert, im sure one could argue the threshold is only exceeded by 3 teams because its so high.

Meaningless indeed...if it did not have a residual effect of stabilizing payrolls. As in flattening out salaries. Through the 2004 season, it has done just that, as the median MLB salary decreased, albeit very modestly, in recent time. That point will clearly not be enough for those seeking draconian measures, but so it goes.

Also, consider that the NHL rumored system would also importantly, include the lower softcap+luxury tax threshold. Further incentive to keep payrolls down.

If a couple of teams wish to exceed it, so be it. They "could" conceivably buy their way (a specious argument) to a Cup. Or, they could be NYR. St.Louis, etc. (read: big spendors with nothing to show for it). Point is, the overall payrolls of teams leaguewide will stabilize/decrease, relatively speaking (without being "frozen in time", as some misguidedly pine for). Which is what this whole thing is about, no? Cost certainty.

Last edited:

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
kerrly said:

Thats right, alot of the Canadian teams cannot afford to be in the league right now. Neither can about 10 teams in the states. You want a ridiculous CBA to be signed to allow your Flyers to be able to keep their high end talent, while other teams fold. Have fun trying to make a 10 team league float consisting of 9 American teams. Canada's importance to the league runs far beyond just having 6 teams up here, and that you will never truly understand.

You can't even get one column on PTI for christ's sake. I've watched almost everyday over the whole lockout and its been brought up maybe twice at the end of the show. The NHL will never ever survive without Canada.

First of all, I think you've gotten the mistaken impression that I've been pro-PA throughout all this. I've always favored a cap. I've just never favored a cap under $40M. If we're going to be fair, we need to be fair to all 30 teams.

Secondly, you can't have people telling me the Canadian dollar is the problem and then other people telling me hockey can't survive without Canada. You should get together with your Edmonton breatheren and figure out where you stand.

Thirdly, I'll state yet one more time since it's been largely ignored - I am not in favor of losing Canadian teams. I am in favor of losing warm weather teams.

Finally, don't tell me what I do and don't udnerstand about Canadians and about hockey. I have close friends from Toronto. I've been following hockey for almost 25 years. I spent Friday nights in college listening to internet broadcasts of hockey games instead of going to parties. I used to watch Hockey Night in Canada all the time (we got the CBC in the dorms). I even own a copy of the movie Hockey Night - you know, the one with the girl goalie.

PS, why would you want Kornheiser and Wilbon to talk about hockey?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
kerrly said:
. Canada's importance to the league runs far beyond just having 6 teams up there, and that you will never truly understand.
i am Canadian, live in Calgary and cheer for the Canucks. I get the importance of Canada to the league.

I think you are full of it. Talk about exageration. I have yet to see any proposal that would kill any team, including status quo.

If Cal Nichols doesnt like it, he can lump it or leave it. If he cant make an NHL team work with over 80m in revenue, than he isnt the man for the job.

DR

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
kerrly said:

This is the best post I've read here. American's don't understand the popularity of NHL hockey up here. It's bigger than anything, and I mean anything. We buy so much merchandise, go to so many games, and basically live an breathe hockey. As much as I want to see hockey this year, I see this proposal as a temporary solution. I could see it working, but I'd like to see a few more parts of it before I was to make up my mind. It definately has potential, outside of the franchise player idea, and it could work if implemented correctly. I just want to see hockey so bad, I feel like I'll cling to any shred of good news. :(

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
kerrly said:
Well if Edmonton goes, because a garbage CBA deal is signed, then very likely Calgary, Montreal, and Ottawa can go as well. Followed not too far behind the by the Canucks.

Why, because misery likes company?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DR said:
another cliche .. ... so which team bought their cup ?

dr

I can think of some that meet the criteria of winning a SC through financial might. Still there is more to success than just the cup, continuous contending is also a good definition. Which teams have increased their chances through excessing payroll spending?

Brent Burns Beard