Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
i don't mind giving him the 9-game tryout but i doubt he makes it, rather let him develop a little more than rush him. is it possible to go to the ahl after his draft + 1 year? play in the ohl for another season then to the ahl, or do you have to do two years post draft before the ahl?

He’ll have to play 4 years in the OHL or make the NHL team. Won’t turn 20 till February of his 4th season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Tippett wont be playing with Huby-Barkov. That's going to be Jagr or another UFA

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
goal scoring tops out as a kessel, more realistically someone like palmieri or silfverberg range. should make a solid goal scoring top-6 rw. if he's playing with barkov and huberdeau in a couple years, and gets top pp time, i expect 25+g and 50+ pts, definitely has the ability to break 30 with his tools. at least we drafted a forward. only barkov and huberdeau to show for our top-6 in the last 8 drafts (we'll see with borgstrom and tippett of course), we were lucky to get trocheck in the 3rd i believe, but while other teams like toronto actually got top forward talent in the 1st round we've picked barkov and huberdeau, then ekblad, gudbranson, matheson on d, crouse was wasted, borgstrom and tippett we'll see, but hey at least they went with a natural winger and not another center hoping they can transition to wing.
weird some people complain about his iq and assists totals but are quick to protect bjugstad....

Who are you talking about? I haven't seen anyone complain about this pic yet. He has his weaknesses and is not a perfect player, but he should be productive next to Barkov in a few years.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Who are you talking about? I haven't seen anyone complain about this pic yet. He has his weaknesses and is not a perfect player, but he should be productive next to Barkov in a few years.

There were some initial complaints since Vilardi fell to us and we didn't pick him (see pages 7-8 in our NHL Draft thread).
Anyway I think most of us are happy or at least okay with Tippett.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

Check out the earlier threads when he first got drafted, there's a handful.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
There are concerns about Tippett's game, no doubt about it, however, nobody will deny what he is good at -taking the puck from anywhere on the ice, bringing it into the offensive zone with elite speed and ripping off an elite shot and scoring a goal. That can change games and I'm not sure why anybody would be upset about adding that dynamic to the team. Something we have sorely lacked.

He could probably do those things this season in the NHL now, though I'd like to see him work on the other areas and improve in decision-making and helping him be a better all around player.

Give him NHL coaching for 9 games then send him back to the OHL to dominate and work on the other parts of his game. Hope they don't rush but with our need at wing and the skills he does have, I can see him being in our lineup right away and being a productive (he will match Smith's totals at the least) player.

Watch the shift by shift of him in a playoff game, the skill is obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ddSb4anWo

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
There are concerns about Tippett's game, no doubt about it, however, nobody will deny what he is good at -taking the puck from anywhere on the ice, bringing it into the offensive zone with elite speed and ripping off an elite shot and scoring a goal. That can change games and I'm not sure why anybody would be upset about adding that dynamic to the team. Something we have sorely lacked.

He could probably do those things this season in the NHL now, though I'd like to see him work on the other areas and improve in decision-making and helping him be a better all around player.

Give him NHL coaching for 9 games then send him back to the OHL to dominate and work on the other parts of his game. Hope they don't rush but with our need at wing and the skills he does have, I can see him being in our lineup right away and being a productive (he will match Smith's totals at the least) player.

Watch the shift by shift of him in a playoff game, the skill is obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ddSb4anWo
Here you go.

Actually he kind of reminds me of Sean Bergenheim.

Thewselius

Jul 24, 2003
It's been a long time since we've drafted a straight up shooter in the first round. Horton is the only one that really comes to mind. I've missed that caliber of shot.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It's been a long time since we've drafted a straight up shooter in the first round. Horton is the only one that really comes to mind. I've missed that caliber of shot.

Horton had a better rookie year in the OHL, but Tippett made a bigger jump from rookie to sophomore. Horton tallied 64 in 118. Tippett scored 59 in 108.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
He won't be on the team next year. Mississauga is loaded up for a Memorial Cup run in Regina. Should be great experience for him to make a run at the Mem Cup run again.

Last edited:

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Here you go.

Actually he kind of reminds me of Sean Bergenheim.

Needs to work on his fore-check and I can't tell you how many times he left the slot open. Reminds me of Bure's time here.

But you can tell that the kid has all of the offensive instincts. Hopefully playing with NHlers, some of those passes will connect and turn on the red light.

Last edited:

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
If he has a great camp, I wouldn't be opposed giving him the 9 game tryout and seeing if he can stick with the team. 30-40 points probably wouldn't be out of the question.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
If he has a great camp, I wouldn't be opposed giving him the 9 game tryout and seeing if he can stick with the team. 30-40 points probably wouldn't be out of the question.

My favorite Tallon quote thus far is, "We haven't had this for a while." Referring to Tippett's ability to snipe. Who's he kidding? When did we ever have that? Marchessault? Horton?

Honestly, part of me is praying for him to have a good camp. I don't care about rushing him if has abilities that we desperately need.

Insert Tippett in the lineup tomorrow. He's without a doubt the best shooter on the team. That's not even an exaggeration. That's a reality check on how lackluster our goalscoring ability is.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
My favorite Tallon quote thus far is, "We haven't had this for a while." Referring to Tippett's ability to snipe. Who's he kidding? When did we ever have that? Marchessault? Horton?

Honestly, part of me is praying for him to have a good camp. I don't care about rushing him if has abilities that we desperately need.

Insert Tippett in the lineup tomorrow. He's without a doubt the best shooter on the team. That's not even an exaggeration. That's a reality check on how lackluster our goalscoring ability is.

I can see him being money on the powerplay with Huberdeau

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
He has that look while he's skating where he just looks like a dangerous player...not sure how to describe it but you probably get what I mean.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
He has that look while he's skating where he just looks like a dangerous player...not sure how to describe it but you probably get what I mean.

Smith gave me that look approximately 80% of the time 2 years ago and 48% of the time last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad