Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Thanks. definitely like the sound of Gabe Vilardi more! oh well.

For those saying he'll fit in well with Barkov and Huberdeau, this part doesn't bode well!

"I think the real area of concern is his hockey sense and ability to utilize his teammates."

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

For those saying he'll fit in well with Barkov and Huberdeau, this part doesn't bode well!

"I think the real area of concern is his hockey sense and ability to utilize his teammates."

Yeah he's gonna need to learn the cycle game. He has the size and ability.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Fine with me. Barkov and Huberdeau are the ones that should be utilizing their teammates. Tippett is the goal scorer, so let other players utilize him.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Calling it now...Tippett will get his 9-game tryout and probably has a shot at playing his way onto team. I don't think it's the best thing for him or for our playoff chances next season but it is what it is. Nothing available in free agency that will fill holes left by Smith and March. Tallon keeps saying they aren't afraid to play the kids. I'd argue they are putting themselves in a situation where they have to and that rarely benefits anyone.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Fine with me. Barkov and Huberdeau are the ones that should be utilizing their teammates. Tippett is the goal scorer, so let other players utilize him.

Ha exactly... barky and huby are smart and good enough to play with anyone... they don't need another playmaker...

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Vilardis skating is a concern to me and I'm glad they didn't go with him...I'm fine with this pick... brings something we lack big time... fast enough to get in on forecheck... can probably play anywhere in the lineup and be effective..

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Yeah he's gonna need to learn the cycle game. He has the size and ability.

He doesn't. Marchy didn't cycle the puck well and worked really well with Barkov. Huberdeau and Barkov are good enough to adapt their game to their linemates. They cycle the puck because that's how Jagr can be productive. When Huberdeau played with Trocheck last season he was not cycling and was productive.
They are not one trick ponies.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Vilardis skating is a concern to me and I'm glad they didn't go with him...I'm fine with this pick... brings something we lack big time... fast enough to get in on forecheck... can probably play anywhere in the lineup and be effective..

They said the same thing for Draisaitl, and he isn't doing too bad. Of course, who knows how Vilardis pans out.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He trained with Matt Nichol which is really good to hear.

Was the guy I originally wanted, we know he has to work on the defensive side but he brings two things we need, speed and goals. Very happy with this pick.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Calling it now...Tippett will get his 9-game tryout and probably has a shot at playing his way onto team. I don't think it's the best thing for him or for our playoff chances next season but it is what it is. Nothing available in free agency that will fill holes left by Smith and March. Tallon keeps saying they aren't afraid to play the kids. I'd argue they are putting themselves in a situation where they have to and that rarely benefits anyone.

I think that is a prediction that is very likely to come true.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Pirri couldn't skate and work ethic was non existent.

But Barkov and Huberdeau are so good they can utilise anyone.....

I mean many people are questioning Bjugstad on that top line with them.

Just pointing out it is not that simple. Fingers crossed they do click with Tippett down the line.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
He doesn't. Marchy didn't cycle the puck well and worked really well with Barkov. Huberdeau and Barkov are good enough to adapt their game to their linemates. They cycle the puck because that's how Jagr can be productive. When Huberdeau played with Trocheck last season he was not cycling and was productive.
They are not one trick ponies.

I mean cycling isn't exclusive to Barkov and Huberdeau. Every NHL player should have it in their skill set. That being said, Marchessault wasn't great for Barkov when they were together. We've seen Barkov have much better fits style wise with players that can cycle rather than shoot.

Barkov and Huberdeau will be productive no matter the environment. We need to get the most out of them though.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
goal scoring tops out as a kessel, more realistically someone like palmieri or silfverberg range. should make a solid goal scoring top-6 rw. if he's playing with barkov and huberdeau in a couple years, and gets top pp time, i expect 25+g and 50+ pts, definitely has the ability to break 30 with his tools. at least we drafted a forward. only barkov and huberdeau to show for our top-6 in the last 8 drafts (we'll see with borgstrom and tippett of course), we were lucky to get trocheck in the 3rd i believe, but while other teams like toronto actually got top forward talent in the 1st round we've picked barkov and huberdeau, then ekblad, gudbranson, matheson on d, crouse was wasted, borgstrom and tippett we'll see, but hey at least they went with a natural winger and not another center hoping they can transition to wing.
weird some people complain about his iq and assists totals but are quick to protect bjugstad....

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
goal scoring tops out as a kessel, more realistically someone like palmieri or silfverberg range. should make a solid goal scoring top-6 rw. if he's playing with barkov and huberdeau in a couple years, and gets top pp time, i expect 25+g and 50+ pts, definitely has the ability to break 30 with his tools. at least we drafted a forward. only barkov and huberdeau to show for our top-6 in the last 8 drafts (we'll see with borgstrom and tippett of course), we were lucky to get trocheck in the 3rd i believe, but while other teams like toronto actually got top forward talent in the 1st round we've picked barkov and huberdeau, then ekblad, gudbranson, matheson on d, crouse was wasted, borgstrom and tippett we'll see, but hey at least they went with a natural winger and not another center hoping they can transition to wing.
weird some people complain about his iq and assists totals but are quick to protect bjugstad....

Who would that be? I think everyone was in shock that Bjugstad was not exposed. The only poster I recall who wasn't was vendetta. And he's good with Bjugstad and Tippett. So who exactly are you talking about?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Who would that be? I think everyone was in shock that Bjugstad was not exposed. The only poster I recall who wasn't was vendetta. And he's good with Bjugstad and Tippett. So who exactly are you talking about?

not really here but on Facebook theres been a surprising amount of people on the panther pages. just said some people, not calling out any specific individuals.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I thought Mascherin looked good sniping, this kid looks like a killer. And I love his speed. Look forward to seeing development camp/rookie tourney.

-ghoste

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I could see him making our lineup this year. Currently it's really not that hard

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i don't mind giving him the 9-game tryout but i doubt he makes it, rather let him develop a little more than rush him. is it possible to go to the ahl after his draft + 1 year? play in the ohl for another season then to the ahl, or do you have to do two years post draft before the ahl?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad