Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I'd actually have to watch him play, but I'm glad to see he isn't just focusing on putting up points. Obviously, by all accounts, the reason he isn't lighting up the scoreboard is that he's making a conscious effort to play well defensively and away from the puck. I did watch him at the WJC and this was evident. This will probably serve his development better long term. Hopefully he's ready to make the jump next year. Also, hoping he gets some more NHL/AHL games in towards the end of this season.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Pronman's Mid-Season prospect grades are out, and Tippett is one of the 3 players listed under "Elite"

Athletic snipit:

HGUeIqn.png

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
Is Tippet eligible to play in the AHL next year?
Also wondering if he is eligible to play another year for Canada’s junior team?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
As a 20 y/o with that kind of talent in the OHL it's kind of underwhelming to have 30g/44gp. Does anyone expect a little more. Like 41g/44gp.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@Android 16 and @Kellyr

Tippett had another decent night, 2 assists in a 5-4 OT win vs Noel and his Generals.

I thought everyone was ripping Tippett for being one dimensional and now that he's actually started to pass more/set up plays and worked on his defensive game, he's getting ripped for not scoring enough?

He's not used as much as a PP threat in Saginaw as he was in Mississauga.

19 goals in 23 games for Mississauga
11 goals in 22 games for Saginaw

Most of his goals come 5 on 5, 24 of the 30 to be exact. Don't we need more of those around here? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
@Android 16 and @Kellyr

Tippett had another decent night, 2 assists in a 5-4 OT win vs Noel and his Generals.

I thought everyone was ripping Tippett for being one dimensional and now that he's actually started to pass more/set up plays and worked on his defensive game, he's getting ripped for not scoring enough?

He's not used as much as a PP threat in Saginaw as he was in Mississauga.

19 goals in 23 games for Mississauga
11 goals in 22 games for Saginaw

Most of his goals come 5 on 5, 24 of the 30 to be exact. Don't we need more of those around here? :sarcasm:

Like I said his production at junior level doesn't matter at this point anymore when he has shown he can do it two years ago.

We need to see if he can light up the ahl. And he needs to light it up next year to impress. Anything else and he looks like a long project.

But I salute your faith in the guy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad