Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Ya hes played like 8-10 games less than his OHL teammates because he was suspended for 5 games for flipping a foam puck into the crowd...

He's been fine this year, as evident by the vote of confidence from Team Canada to put him on the top line
I’m going to need an article on that. That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard :laugh:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Also IIRC the OHL (/CHL in general) season had already started when Tippett was cut from training camp, so I think he missed a couple games there.

Ya you're right Soup. I think he was suspended for 2 games for a borderline hit earlier in the season as well.

I’m going to need an article on that. That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard :laugh:

He's a badass!! I'll see what I can find on it.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Saginaw fan here I come in peace to say Tippett had a goal and an assist in his first game in Saginaw. They play Sudbury tonight and his addition to a strong team will only help in his development plus possibly some extended playoff time.

Thank for the update! Keep us informed on his progress.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Saginaw fan here I come in peace to say Tippett had a goal and an assist in his first game in Saginaw. They play Sudbury tonight and his addition to a strong team will only help in his development plus possibly some extended playoff time.
Is he getting PK minutes? One of the important things the Panthers wanted out of Tippett in the CHL this year was to work on his defensive game to make him more well rounded.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Nope. This season especially.

He did not get PK time in the first two games. Probably because he had to drive 5 hours to Saginaw and made it barley in time to dress for the game Saturday night and team didn't have a full practice before an afternoon game Sunday. The team plays tomorrow night so we will see what happens now he actually has had 2 days to practice with the team.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tippett with a goal and assist tonight in 6-3 win. He only had one shot on goal so looks like he made it count.
Has 2 goals, 5pts in 5 games for Saginaw so far. Fitting in and producing wherever he plays it seems.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Tippett with a goal and assist tonight in 6-3 win. He only had one shot on goal so looks like he made it count.
Has 2 goals, 5pts in 5 games for Saginaw so far. Fitting in wherever he plays it seems.
How’s his ice time there compared to before and
Pp time? I haven’t been able to follow since the trade

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How’s his ice time there compared to before and
Pp time? I haven’t been able to follow since the trade

Didn't get to see the game either and don't think OHL records TOI.
Saginaw has been pretty bad for a while but they loaded up at the trade deadline, picking up Tippett, McLeod (Tippett's teammate in Mississauga) and defenseman Bode Wilde.

I'd assume he's on one of the top two lines, probably a line with McLeod because there would be chemistry there and he'd be used heavily on the PP as well, his assist tonight came on one of their PP's. A deep playoff run would probably stop Tippett from heading to Springfield to help if they make the playoffs. Pretty sure once OHL season is over, Tippett can be eligible to go to AHL but not NHL.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Didn't get to see the game either and don't think OHL records TOI.
Saginaw has been pretty bad for a while but they loaded up at the trade deadline, picking up Tippett, McLeod (Tippett's teammate in Mississauga) and defenseman Bode Wilde.

I'd assume he's on one of the top two lines, probably a line with McLeod because there would be chemistry there and he'd be used heavily on the PP as well, his assist tonight came on one of their PP's. A deep playoff run would probably stop Tippett from heading to Springfield to help if they make the playoffs. Pretty sure once OHL season is over, Tippett can be eligible to go to AHL but not NHL.
Thanks for the update. Appreciated

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
You don't need to say "I come in peace" - the Panthers may be playing like a junior league team, but they are not, in fact, an opponent of Saginaw's :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad