Player Discussion Owen Power, D (1st overall, 2021) Calder Finalist

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Sabres play regular season until April 29th. I'm sure there will be NHL games he can play after his season.

You don't dick around a 1OA draft pick. You let them burn a year if they're ready to leave college.

My hope is he gets some NHL games in and Amerks go deep in the playoffs and he can play there. I think AHL rules allow that for newly signed, even if they are not on the end of season roster.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Sabres play regular season until April 29th. I'm sure there will be NHL games he can play after his season.

You don't dick around a 1OA draft pick. You let them burn a year if they're ready to leave college.

My hope is he gets some NHL games in and Amerks go deep in the playoffs and he can play there. I think AHL rules allow that for newly signed, even if they are not on the end of season roster.
idk where power truly is in his development, whether he’s ‘ready’ or not, but i will say that i feel a lot more confident in our current coaching staff to ease any bumps in the road if he’s with the big club and ‘not ready’. on the flip side, i also don’t see how another year in college would hurt. we got time

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
idk where power truly is in his development, whether he’s ‘ready’ or not, but i will say that i feel a lot more confident in our current coaching staff to ease any bumps in the road if he’s with the big club and ‘not ready’. on the flip side, i also don’t see how another year in college would hurt. we got time
I wanted him in Buffalo at the start, until I saw what our team plan was. I think KA will do a rebuild/youth development this year and try to be more competitve next year.

I'm now glad he is going back.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I mean he’s probably ready to work into an nhl team and if the Sabres had planned to ice one I’d probably care about what he decides to do

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Why, if you're going to totally suck? Why get him one year closer to UFA?
Sure, it's in the team's self interest to get the player signed and not burn the 1st year if they don't need to.

It's usually in the players self interest to burn that first year.

So the question is; who compromises? And is either side willing to use their leverage to get their way?

It's a mixed bag:
Makar and McAvoy both signed after their 2nd college season and burned the first year. But they also contributed in the playoffs.

Werenski signed and played in the AHL after his college season.

Quinn Hughes signed after his college season and burned the 1st year (no playoffs).

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He's made it extremely clear he has no problem with another year at Michigan. That is the decision. Easy as they come.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Signing after their NCAA season only burns a year from their ELC but doesn't accrue towards the 7yrs service
Well ya of course you sign him right AFTER the season. I'm talking about the decision of whether or not to sign him now is easy.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Really happy with the choice to go back! I had a strong gut feeling this team was going to push hard for him to sign his ELC now.

Glad to be wrong

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Good. Let him go back, get a college year in, try to get a gold at the WJC, win a college championship, then either sign him (if he wants) or let him play at the Worlds again.

I think if they had won last year, he’d be more inclined to sign.
I don't really think it was an issue of him being disinclined to sign. If the Sabres said signing was what's best for his development I reckon he would have.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Absolute best decision. Kid has a lot of upside but a lot of development ahead of him. Has aspects of his game he needs to improve and needs to add some more man muscle to his frame.

Let him play in a winning environment on a powerhouse at Michigan with future Sabre Portillo, let him play in the WJCs and the Frozen Four.

Great decision for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad