Ovechkin with 8 in 8 at 33

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Could've been 9 in 8 but he stupidly gave Oshie the empty netter. Could come back to bite him if he's 1 goal off 50/rocket richard/895.

At this point he should just go for the all time goal record, he could win the next 5 cups and 895 would still be more impressive.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Someone should cover him on the left faceoff dot during the powerplay. Lol

And then you’ve got Kuznetsov leading the league in PPG on the other side and Carlson leading the league in Defensemen goals at the point. Caps scored a PPG goal against the Pens in the playoffs last year where Hagelin let Carlson drift all the way down between the circles unimpeded for a layup because he was so worried about Ovi.

Not like people aren’t trying.

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
I just dont get how.....

Everyone. And I mean EVERYONE knows what hes going to do. But he is still some how able to pull it off.

How.....

It's like Arjen Robben going from right, cutting it in and scoring screamer from his left leg in soccer. Everyone knows Robben will do it, he still scores. Mad respect to Ovechkin for his grit and quality he showed in SC Playoffs. I hope he will age well and play at 2022 Olympics if NHL is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecemleafs

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Someday, somebody will actually try covering him in the left circle.
They've been trying that this season, but Kuznetsov/Carlson/Backstrom have been dominating the resulting 4-on-3 power play when you shadow Ovechkin.

Kuznetsov leads the league with 5 power play goals
Backstrom and Carlson lead the league with 8 power play points each
Washington leads the league in power play percentage at 38.7%

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I hope that he hits 50 this season. This will be just enough to pass Brendan Shanahan to become the 13th on the all time goals list.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm just busting his chops, Ovi is the GOAT.

But because of that I would never let him beat me. If somebody else scores, then whatever.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I just dont get how.....

Everyone. And I mean EVERYONE knows what hes going to do. But he is still some how able to pull it off.

How.....
Because they have two of the best playmakers in the NHL on the right side on the PP, a RH shot option in the slot and a good shooter and passer at the point?

What are they supposed to do? Give Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie and Carlson a 4 on 3 PP instead by covering Ovechkin?
Its almost impossible to defend against when they have three great RH shots and two elite LH playmakers on the right side.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
They've been trying that this season, but Kuznetsov/Carlson/Backstrom have been dominating the resulting 4-on-3 power play when you shadow Ovechkin.

Kuznetsov leads the league with 5 power play goals
Backstrom and Carlson lead the league with 8 power play points each
Washington leads the league in power play percentage at 38.7%

Carlson deal is looking like a bargain at this point!

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Could've been 9 in 8 but he stupidly gave Oshie the empty netter. Could come back to bite him if he's 1 goal off 50/rocket richard/895.

At this point he should just go for the all time goal record, he could win the next 5 cups and 895 would still be more impressive.
Yeah, that was a really stupid play and I think it's like the 3rd time I've seen him do it on an empty netter. Such a waste of a goal. A guy like Oshie will be lucky if he can surpass 250 career goals...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad