Ovechkin with 8 in 8 at 33

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the posters saying why doesn't someone cover Ovechkin on the powerplay are joking, unless they actually believe he just stands in the same spot the whole time and no one pays attention to him which I somehow doubt, lol.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A quick look at the Caps 2 ppg's last night shows that the middle and right wings were open because of shading Ovechkin. In the second there was a Canuck standing right in Ov's shooting lane and Ovechkin just shot it right thru him.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
4 PPG's to go to reach top-6 all-time. 14 more and he reaches top-4 all-time.

32 behind Brett Hull and 41 behind Dave Andreychuk who are #2 and #1.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I've been to many games and unless he has a separate water bottle beyond the one he drinks actual water from I call bullshit on the "four Cokes" thing.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I've been to many games and unless he has a separate water bottle beyond the one he drinks actual water from I call bull**** on the "four Cokes" thing.

yeah a guy Ovechkin's size isn't going to stay in shape by drinking 4 cokes a day let alone during a game.

He's going to be fat after retirement. Dude really is big boned.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the posters saying why doesn't someone cover Ovechkin on the powerplay are joking, unless they actually believe he just stands in the same spot the whole time and no one pays attention to him which I somehow doubt, lol.

I don't think a lot of them are joking. The game media regularly comments about how open Ov seems to get where everyone knows he will be. I am sure for those that don't watch him every game that its the case. That teams don't game plan him on the pp. Its understandable.

The reality is that teams have shadowed him on the pp. Ovechkin then takes himself and his shadow out of the play and the Caps go 4 on 3 which is easier. Last season teams made a concerted effort if not to shadow him, to stand a pk player in his shooting lane at all times. That was the case last night when he scored. There was a guy right there. The shot didn't hit him and created a screen.

Facts are that teams do the best they can to stop the Caps pp. Its hard. There is a reason Ovechkin may be the greatest goal scorer of all time. There is a reason that Backstrom may challenge for the best passer of all time. They are good. Then there is Carlson who most here wont even put in their top 20 defensemen. He is good.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
4 PPG's to go to reach top-6 all-time. 14 more and he reaches top-4 all-time.

32 behind Brett Hull and 41 behind Dave Andreychuk who are #2 and #1.
He also got the game-winning goal last night, and is now 1 GWG behind Marleau for most among active players.

Currently 8th all time in GWG
7 GWG away from 4th all time

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Facts are that teams do the best they can to stop the Caps pp. Its hard. There is a reason Ovechkin may be the greatest goal scorer of all time. There is a reason that Backstrom may challenge for the best passer of all time. They are good. Then there is Carlson who most here wont even put in their top 20 defensemen. He is good.
Just wanted to add. Sometimes teams want stop specifically Ovy from scoring. Like last season Devils, they didn't care about anyone else from Caps to score, only wanted to deprive 50 goal for Ovy.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
have Kuznetsov Carlson Oshie and Backstrom as threats on the powerplay

not that hard. Teams can choose to play 4 on 3 if they fear Ovi
They do try, but that doesn't matter.

In regards to Ovi's office goals: People like to joke as if that's the only place he scores from and while they do account for a lot, it's not as many as you think. Less than 30% of Ovechkin's goal are off one timers from the left circle. You don't score 600+ goals by doing just one thing.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Just wanted to add. Sometimes teams want stop specifically Ovy from scoring. Like last season Devils, they didn't care about anyone else from Caps to score, only wanted to deprive 50 goal for Ovy.
They tried in the playoffs as well and that just opens up the seams for Oshie in the slot, Kuzy short side and Carlson clappers. The gravity well that Ovechkin has might by the most underrated part of his game.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I've been to many games and unless he has a separate water bottle beyond the one he drinks actual water from I call bull**** on the "four Cokes" thing.
Well it came out of the mouth of #44 so I'm not sure why you think it'd be bullshit. Obviously he has them in a special water bottle not cans on the bench.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well it came out of the mouth of #44 so I'm not sure why you think it'd be bull****. Obviously he has them in a special water bottle not cans on the bench.

Do you think he means in between periods because I have sat pretty close to the bench, Ovechkin always sits on the end, and I have never seen it. Not a big deal, just seems weird that no one has ever caught it before.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Do you think he means in between periods because I have sat pretty close to the bench, Ovechkin always sits on the end, and I have never seen it. Not a big deal, just seems weird that no one has ever caught it before.
There's been mention made of this maybe even back to his rookie year.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
yeah a guy Ovechkin's size isn't going to stay in shape by drinking 4 cokes a day let alone during a game.

He's going to be fat after retirement. Dude really is big boned.

Nutrition is over rated. Get your protein in, then eat/drink whatever you want while maintaining proper caloric intake vs expenditure. The problem only starts if you've been dieting one way than add 3-4 cokes to your diet. If it's always been a part of it, it's a non issue.

I personally get light headed if I'm expending energy quickly, sugary drinks help me a lot with that, coke and ice tea are my go to.

DeluzioN

Jan 9, 2009
It's pretty well known Ovechkin has a seperate gatorade bottle filled with Coke. He was warned by NHL the first time not to drink Coke out of a can/bottle on the bench. Zdeno Chara received the same warnings.

NHL has a partnership going back many years with PepsiCo, which was renewed earlier this year. So players caught drinking Coke from a bottle/can on the bench are warned not to do it again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad