Ovechkin watching the zamboni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Unlike your darling Crosby golden boy who is the very picture of perfection is every respect. Crosby the perfect and Untouchable. Crosby the darling. The Dear Boy never does a thing wrong.....ickle Crosbykins the sweetums...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Unlike your darling Crosby golden boy who is the very picture of perfection is every respect. Crosby the perfect and Untouchable. Crosby the darling. The Dear Boy never does a thing wrong.....ickle Crosbykins the sweetums...

I'm sure he has his own quirks/habits/whatever. I don't see that it's a big deal.

chicpea*

Foppa_Rules said:

What a joke. :shakehead Do you even play team sports? Ovechkin can have all the idiosyncracies he likes but in the middle of a game while the team which he *captains* sits in the room he shouldn't be chatting with autograph-seekers and flashing his "C." It's disrespectful to your team. I know he's young and that's why it doesn't really bother me, but sooner or later he's gonna have a coach who simply won't tolerate such behaviour.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
And chicpea, you have no idea why he did that or even if he was flashing his "C" and not his team logo/ You have no idea whether or not he was posing for a fan or any of the circumstances surrounding it so it would be foolish for you to judge him based on incomplete and uncertain information. I suggest you drop it.

As for sitting on the bench, I have already posted his comments on it. He said it's a place where he can cool down, get a drink, and think about the game for a few minutes. He also answered a direct question and said it is perfectly fine with his coaches. I really don't think Ovechkin cares what you think and he shouldn't.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Well whoever picked Ovechkin as captain, whether it's the players or the coach, obviously doesn't have a problem with him as a leader and him spending a little time on the bench like that.

Doesn't seem like it's hindering Ovechkin's play neither. 4 points in 2 games.

The only ones bothered by this are this forum and the TSN..

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
On ESPN they showed Ovechkin doing this during the USA/Russia game. After the period ended he sat on the bench. He didn't talk to anyone or move around at all, he just sat there collecting his thoughts then got up and went to the dressing room. I don't see anything wrong with this.

I think he would be a much better player if he switched to a normal visor though. How can he see through that thing? :dunno:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
MOGiLNY said:
Well whoever picked Ovechkin as captain, whether it's the players or the coach, obviously doesn't have a problem with him as a leader and him spending a little time on the bench like that.

Doesn't seem like it's hindering Ovechkin's play neither. 4 points in 2 games.

The only ones bothered by this are this forum and the TSN..

3 points (but I agree with your point)

chicpea*

Foppa_Rules said:
And chicpea, you have no idea why he did that or even if he was flashing his "C" and not his team logo

After seeing the tape how do you come to this conclusion? :dunno:

And he has 3pts, not 4pts, not that it matters.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I wouldn't quite call it cockiness because he has something to back it up. More like confidence. He doen't think too much of himself. A little on-ice stuff like that is fine and it usually gets into the other team's head. I would think that you guys would all know Ovechkin by now. How many people who have met him and his family and have watched him for years say he's Kovalchuk + work ethic and team play, that he's steady and mature, that he has a great attitude, "very mature, very bright-minded", ect. Yet some of you are perfectly willing to throw all these years of evidence out the window and listen to one comment from one moment of one game in one tournament by a crackpot pundit.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I was watching ESPN and I didn't see him flashing anything.

By the way, the coaches named him captain but Ovechkin said shortly after in an interview that he thought the players should get to choose the captain instead of the coaches.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Im sure he's a fantastic guy and all but more importantly, despite the fact he's been good so far, i though he was going to be better...I suppose you end up expecting so much because of all the hype that it becomes impossible to satisfy people.

I'm sure he will be great etcetcetc, but i haven't yet seen nearly as much as i was expecting.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
And what were you expecting? 50 points? 100 points? It's not my fault if you expect unrealistic things from a 19-year old. Of course I wouldn't expect you to take into account that you have seen only 1 or 2 games from 1 tournament, and that it would be rather foolish to judge him based on a single tournament, let alone a single game, rather than his consistent performance throughout his career.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
This Kid is a flat out stud !!! NHL superstar in the making......GO USA !

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
I was watching ESPN and I didn't see him flashing anything.

By the way, the coaches named him captain but Ovechkin said shortly after in an interview that he thought the players should get to choose the captain instead of the coaches.

I was watching TSN, and he did flash the 'C'... I just don't want to judge him on that because we don't know what the fans said to him.. they could've easily asked him to flash it for the camera..

And that quote from Ovechkin is a much better indicator of his character I think than him sitting on the bench for a few minutes during every intermission. If sitting there is his routine and the team doesn't mind it, then let him do it..

Judging by his play, I wouldn't say that Ovechkin is not a team player. I think he shares the puck enough to show that he's not selfish..

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Also he is a winger, not a center. It's his job to shoot the puck. In contrast to Malkin, whose job it is to set people up and pass. Ovechkin passes and passes very well--in the game against USA better than Malkin--but his job is to shoot the puck and he does it when he has a shot. If he doesn't have a shot, he passes. Ovechkin's passes are almost always right on the tape. And he DOES backcheck--if any of you don't believe it watch USA's 5'th goal again. He skated back as hard as he could and dived on the ice after the guy but he just missed him. Ovechkin then got up off his stomach and leapt like a cat over his goalie just as they were about to collide. Ovechkin ISN'T lazy, and he ISN'T selfish.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
We're talking about a Hockey player here. Maybe he's superstitious. Plus what happens in the dressing room in the first five or so minuets between periods anyway, my guess not much. I would imagine coaches save the speeches for just before they return to the ice.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
You don't have to look at the US' 5th goal as evidence to his backchecking. Ovechkin spent a lot of his ice time in Russia's zone defending, which was extremely impressive to me.

He was a force at both ends of the ice which confirmed all the scoutin g reports I read on him..

If I were him though, I would start getting away from the habit of sitting on the bench during the intermission. It may be ok now, but if he makes the NHL, I'm sure the Caps won't tolerate that, and he'd have a harder time adjusting.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
The part of Ovechkin flashing is team logo / his C (I personally think he was flashing his team logo to a Russian fan who was cheering for him.. it actually made him laugh, looked happy) was probably before the game started, because the clips they showed from the intermissions, he didn't move at all and stared at the ice.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
rahan said:
The part of Ovechkin flashing is team logo / his C (I personally think he was flashing his team logo to a Russian fan who was cheering for him.. it actually made him laugh, looked happy) was probably before the game started, because the clips they showed from the intermissions, he didn't move at all and stared at the ice.

heh, I thought he was flashing the team logo as well, but the majority here thought it was the 'C' so I kinda went with the flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad