Ovechkin vs Laine comparison.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
No-one is accusing Ovie to have the wrong playstyle. It just illustrates that they are different kinds of players, which they are. Not a handicap to either.

For sure Laine sucked inspiration from his idol's game, but he plays his own.

Why was a 19yo playoff rookie slightly underwhelming (along with his linemates) in the playoffs? Tough one. He was far from useless scoring some crucial goals.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No-one is accusing Ovie to have the wrong playstyle. It just illustrates that they are different kinds of players, which they are. Not a handicap to either.

For sure Laine sucked inspiration from his idol's game, but he plays his own.

Why was a 19yo playoff rookie slightly underwhelming (along with his linemates) in the playoffs? Tough one. He was far from useless scoring some crucial goals.

Laine looked slow and ineffective against Vegas, didn't score any crucial goals when they needed him most. Just a pathetic performance all-around by him.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Laine looked slow and ineffective against Vegas, didn't score any crucial goals when they needed him most. Just a pathetic performance all-around by him.

Laine always looks slow and ineffective. It's his thing.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

You are right, he was so useless against Vegas, unlike rest of the team that was so good at defending...

Or then he was not. But it's good that you had time to watch Laine's play after Matthews stellar playoff performance was cut short.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You are right, he was so useless against Vegas, unlike rest of the team that was so good at defending...

Or then he was not. But it's good that you had time to watch Laine's play after Matthews stellar playoff performance was cut short.

Every players gonna have youtube clips of where they're effective. Laine was a huge disappointment that series, it's a pretty common opinion. That fast-paced style that Vegas brought made Laine look very slow. Ovechkin sure didn't have any problems with it.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It'll be very interesting to see how Laine will fare without Paul Stastny as well. One could argue that Stastny was Winnipeg's 2nd best player in the Nashville series and they very likely don't get past them without him. Stastny definitely generated a lot of chances for Laine (which me may not get without him).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

i am a Jets fan, but Laine was a MAJOR disappointment in the playoffs. It is a bit alarming he started off real hot with Stastny but managed to score a whopping 5 goals in 17 games in the POs.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Are we comparing playoffs at the same age or what are we doing here? Just critizing Laine for no reason?

Ohh, that's why you don't see the classic "he lead his team to the playoffs".

And just to be clear, by no means do I mean that getting into the playoffs rests on a single player, especially when being the best one on the team. I'm just commenting on the emptiness of some arguments you see here.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Are we comparing playoffs at the same age or what are we doing here? Just critizing Laine for no reason?

Ohh, that's why you don't see the classic "he lead his team to the playoffs".

They will grasp to any straw for now.

They should compare Laine to other Jets wingers in playoffs and show me one that did better 5 on 5. Maybe a disappointment but still better than the others. And he was used as secondary.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
They will grasp to any straw for now.

They should compare Laine to other Jets wingers in playoffs and show me one that did better 5 on 5. Maybe a disappointment but still better than the others. And he was used as secondary.

Yeah I'm not sure disappointment is the correct word here.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Everyone has those one plays.. but overall he was pretty abysmal.. I as a caps fan was rooting for winnipeg.

The other guy is right, he looked really slow.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
i am a Jets fan, but Laine was a MAJOR disappointment in the playoffs. It is a bit alarming he started off real hot with Stastny but managed to score a whopping 5 goals in 17 games in the POs.

OK, that's your opinion. He scored 5+7 though, so pretty good points and no stat-padders there like empty netters. He played really solid defensive play and was pretty nicely on plus/winning side 5-on-5. He also did shoot more than usual, also unfortunately did hit most posts out of all players last playoffs. So couple of those posts in, he would have had pretty normal, close to 0.50 GPG.

For me him not scoring like 8 goals (so 3 fewer posts, 3 goals more) was a disappointment, but certainly not major, as otherwise he played well. His other winger had 0 (zero) goals, btw.

They said he had the same "upper body malaise" that Ehlers suffered missing 2 games, but Laine missed only practices, not games. Might have had some effect on ESL line play against Vegas when both wingers had had some cold/flu/stomach problems whatever that "upper body malaise" was.

After Scheifele, Stastny and Wheeler (in this order) I don't think anyone on their right mind claimed other Jets wingers or centers were better than Laine of playoffs. If so, I agree to disagree, but would like to see the statistical proof for that, as our opinions are cheap.

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
Every players gonna have youtube clips of where they're effective. Laine was a huge disappointment that series, it's a pretty common opinion. That fast-paced style that Vegas brought made Laine look very slow. Ovechkin sure didn't have any problems with it.

f***ing hell do you understand anything of hockey? There are very few who are even able to break into nhl roster as 19 years old. More than 95 precent most likely play in minor leagues. And more impressive that you even get the ice time when its tough point at game, especially in nhl playoffs. Then you go and compare 32 years old full grown man and 19 years old kid. Way to go haha.

And as 19 years old Ovechkin was flipping puck in russian league (not KHL which didn't exist back then) with pretty shitty stats. Next year was awesome for him as NHL rookie, no doubt.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine looks slow because of his tall frame and long stride. Has nothing to do with speed. Has something to do with explosiveness, but he's working on it.

Exactly. Laine looks slow, period. Laine isn't slow (13.420 around the rink), but explosiveness is needed in stop and go game and he will develop in that naturally. And as we know, reports say that has been a focus this off season. I expect to see results.

Lemieux skated like Laine too..long strides but effective.

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
Everyone has those one plays.. but overall he was pretty abysmal.. I as a caps fan was rooting for winnipeg.

The other guy is right, he looked really slow.
Maybe it depends where you set your expectations.

The 12 points were afterall the ninth best playoff performance _ever_. At the 19-year old season. So. Maybe not great. As in hundred years there has afterall been eight players putting better numbers at his age in the playoffs...

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That’s why he said sheltered BEHIND far superior players in wheeler and Scheifele

Taking second pairing defenders and non-shut down forwards for almost 82 games was great for Laine
Sheltering has different meaning

When you hide certain players against tough match up.

When you got arguably a top 3 winger in the league slotting at 1RW and he is your captain.
It doesnt mean your teenager goal scoring machine is being sheltered.

I can say, all the Jets players that played with Laine on that #1 pp line benefited from Laine being on ice.

Back to the topic.
Ovie is my favorite non Jet player.
Different player than Laine, both have different attack.
Laine have a lot to do to, next 5 years 50 goals at least , with 1 being a 60 goal season. To get to Ovie's level.
But with Laine he is ahead of that curve good chance of doing it.

But with some saying he is getting his goals because he is sheltered is also have a negative side. Since the team have vets that they can rely on, Laine doesnt need to shoulder heavy minutes unlike Ovie before. Lower minutes , lower production.

But i expect starting this year, the torch will be pass from Wheeler to Laine.

Laine and Ovie are 2 of my favorite players.
Along with Schiefele, Ehlers, McDavid, Matthews and Crosby.
Im glad a potential generational goal scorer is now playing for my favorite team.

Reactions: Alf the dwarf

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Exactly. Laine looks slow, period. Laine isn't slow (13.420 around the rink), but explosiveness is needed in stop and go game and he will develop in that naturally. And as we know, reports say that has been a focus this off season. I expect to see results.

Lemieux skated like Laine too..long strides but effective.

So, should we expect Mike Modano like skating in the near future?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
****ing hell do you understand anything of hockey? There are very few who are even able to break into nhl roster as 19 years old. More than 95 precent most likely play in minor leagues. And more impressive that you even get the ice time when its tough point at game, especially in nhl playoffs. Then you go and compare 32 years old full grown man and 19 years old kid. Way to go haha.

And as 19 years old Ovechkin was flipping puck in russian league (not KHL which didn't exist back then) with pretty ****ty stats. Next year was awesome for him as NHL rookie, no doubt.

Try not to get angry. The fellow you are quoting is among the finest of trolls I have encountered. Respect given where it's deserved.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Is Laine going to hold up an 18% shooting percentage? I love how people bring up how “accurate” he is, not realizing the league will start figuring him out as he gets better. OV was “limited” from a 55 goal scorer to a 35 goal scorer for 2 years, and we’re over here saying Laine is going to be super accurate for the rest of his career? Gtfo here.

As for league wide point totals/goal totals, I understand Laine wouldn’t hit 100 points in his rookie season and what have you, but why wasn’t he at the very least producing up to league average? Why couldn’t he hit at least 80 points? Why not at least 40 goals? He doesn’t have to hit 100/50 like OV, but since people are such haters, why couldn’t Laine stack up in his rookie year? Why couldn’t he be top 10 in points at the very least? Why not at least top 5 in goals?

Hell, why not in his second year? Do I really have to bring up the fact that he does not play against the best defence? WHY DOESNT ANYONE UNDERSTAND THIS? DO MATCHUPS NOT MATTER?

Put that boy in the first line and I ASSURE YOU, his shooting% and overall goal total would drop significantly

Hell, could you imagine young OV on the second line? Lord have mercy

Last edited:

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
Is Laine going to hold up an 18% shooting percentage? I love how people bring up how “accurate” he is, not realizing the league will start figuring him out as he gets better. OV was “limited” from a 55 goal scorer to a 35 goal scorer for 2 years, and we’re over here saying Laine is going to be super accurate for the rest of his career? Gtfo here.

As for league wide point totals/goal totals, I understand Laine wouldn’t hit 100 points in his rookie season and what have you, but why wasn’t he at the very least producing up to league average? Why couldn’t he hit at least 80 points? Why not at least 40 goals? He doesn’t have to hit 100/50 like OV, but since people are such haters, why couldn’t Laine stack up in his rookie year? Why couldn’t he be top 10 in points at the very least? Why not at least top 5 in goals?

Hell, why not in his second year? Do I really have to bring up the fact that he does not play against the best defence? WHY DOESNT ANYONE UNDERSTAND THIS? DO MATCHUPS NOT MATTER?

Put that boy in the first line and I ASSURE YOU, his shooting% and overall goal total would drop significantly

Hell, could you imagine young OV on the second line? Lord have mercy

They don't always play against same lines. Like first line vs first line and so on. Match-ups change. It's part of tactics. And some lines are focused and better defensively and keeping it zero-zero (shut-down lines) and others offensively better. Some lines between can defend and sometimes make goal aswell.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN

Pretty sure that like with Matthews, he was playing injured, but won't admit to it. To an unbiased viewer, both were complete ghosts, but I'm sure they're going to be great in the playoffs going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad