Ovechkin vs Laine comparison.

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
Hey!

I was just wondering why so many people say that we can really compare Laine and Ovechkin next season. In my opinion Laines production have been so far much better than Ovechkins and hes been so far much better than same aged Ovechkin while playing as a pro, if we follow their statistics.

And also he has been statistically much better in international games aswell.

Edit: Im talking about same aged Ovechkin and laine. Ovechkin started as a pro in russian league. He played there while Laine was already NHL'er.

And edit again: Im talking about Ovechkin and Laine as 18-20 years old. Not comparing 19 years old Laine to Ovechkin at his best.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Laine is not really even close to Ovechkin at a similar age. More comparable to Steve Stamkos.

Alex was exponentially more dynamic and complete a player. Didn't play on loaded teams like Stamkos and Laine so he really had to drive all the offense he got.

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
Laine is not really even close to Ovechkin at a similar age. More comparable to Steve Stamkos.

Alex was exponentially more dynamic and complete a player. Didn't play on loaded teams like Stamkos and Laine so he really drove all the offense he got.

Yes, he played in russian league. Laine in NHL.

And i mean exact years. You can't compare 19 and 21-22 years old, the production takes physically so crazy leap during those years to many players.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Ovechkin carried his team on his back, scoring by himself. Laine doesn't have that kind of talent, you can't put him with 4th liners and expect him to dominate.

It's ridiculous you're even arguing this, because you're also saying that Laine is on McDavids level...

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Laine has insane shot, okay passing game and thats about it. I really like him but he's not close. Ovechkins had a period in his career when he had been the best player in the world. With all due respect, I just dont see Laine as even top-5 player in the world at any point going forward.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Last season Laine was about 7 months younger than Ovechkin was during his rookie season.

Last season Laine scored 44 goals and had 70 points on a team that scored 273 goals
In 05-06 Ovechkin scored 52 goals and had 106 points on a team that scored 230 goals

But yea, Laine has totally been "much better" than Ovechkin so far.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I must have missed the replays of Laine trucking Dmen. Laine is a fantastic young offensive player, no question about that. He's never been the offense for his team and likely will never have to be. Comparing Laine's NHL time with Ovechkin's KHL time isn't a legitimate comparison as the KHL is a vastly different and lower scoring league as a whole. Also, Ovcheckin was playing in the KHL at 16. It's fun to watch Laine play but he's very unlikely going to reach Ovechkins beast mode.

Reactions: thunder16

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Young ovie was an absolute beast. The guy scored in so many different manners and was an absolute truck. Look at his goals and point totals compared to the runner up on those cap teams. He was putting up huge numbers with Jeff Halpern and danius zubrus

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Laine won't be as good of a player that Ovechkin is. That I can say to some certainty. He might become a great goalscorer though, and even if he would catch Ovie (I doubt very much), he had an earlier start.

I think Ovie provide more to the attack in his first years than Laine has so far, even though there is the age gap. Ovie could grind, hit, and rush. Laine, tbh, so far has only the great shot. He needs to put his feet moving this year. If he does that, he might become Ovechkin peak scorer, but I doubt he will become Ovechkin like player. Ovechkin is much more than just his shot.

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
Last season Laine was about 7 months younger than Ovechkin was during his rookie season.

Last season Laine scored 44 goals and had 70 points on a team that scored 273 goals
In 05-06 Ovechkin scored 52 goals and had 106 points on a team that scored 230 goals

But yea, Laine has totally been "much better" than Ovechkin so far.

Well I think you forgot to add that Laine has scored 3rd most goals as a teen in whole NHL history. And back in time it was not big news to score over 100 pts. And I think that is impressive.

And to add. Ovechkin was still 20 years old when he played his first nhl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
I must have missed the replays of Laine trucking Dmen. Laine is a fantastic young offensive player, no question about that. He's never been the offense for his team and likely will never have to be. Comparing Laine's NHL time with Ovechkin's KHL time isn't a legitimate comparison as the KHL is a vastly different and lower scoring league as a whole. Also, Ovcheckin was playing in the KHL at 16. It's fun to watch Laine play but he's very unlikely going to reach Ovechkins beast mode.

It wasn't KHL back then, it was Russian league. Maybe hardly third best league back then in Europe. Now KHL is best.

Laine also scored most goals in playoffs while playing in Liiga, finnish pro league as 17 years old (10 goals). And was also selected mvp of playoffs that year when his team won the league. And he shared top scorer position with other player. He was the youngest player in Liigas history to become mvp of playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
3rd best league in Europe...what? Russian Superleague was still considered the 2nd best league in the world at the time. I followed it back then since Malkin played there.

At the beginning of 2000's it was said to be behind swedish and finnish leagues. But anyways kinda same level. Now KHL is much ahead of any other league in europe for sure.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Ovie
- Amazing shot
- Durable
- Was an explosive skater but has slowed down
- Not afraid to get dirty
- Could throw some monster hits

Laine
-Amazing shot
- Young

Reactions: nobody

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
At the beginning of 2000's it was said to be behind swedish and finnish leagues. But anyways kinda same level. Now KHL is much ahead of any other league in europe for sure.

And to add. Last season Eeli Tolvanen broke 18 years old players goal and score record which was Kuznetsovs earlier. This was off-topic information for sure.

Alf the dwarf

Jul 20, 2018
Aside from having that big one timer they aren't very similar. Laine is all finesse and ovechkin is a truck on skates.

80 goals for Laine before Ovechkin scored 1 goal in the NHL.

Well this was what I was trying to point out. And yes they are pretty different but both have monsterous shooting ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->