Ovechkin milestone thread - 850 and Beyond!

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Never forget how good Ovi was for over a decade. Seems people forget so easily. This guy would throw big hits, score insane goals, make great passes and was an overall killer.

Mathews may very well become a better goal scorer but he will never become a better overall player.

Ovie will finish his career as a top 10 player to ever play in the NHL. Likely somewhere around 7th-10th. Mathews will need a lot of 60 goal seasons to be in the top 10 conversation.

Im personally just happy the NHL has a player like Mathews to watch for the next decade now that ovie and Crosby are on their way out.

Yes there is McDavid but im just not a fan of his. I like players who dont virtue signal and act like a douche. He is probably my least favorite player in the league no matter how good he is. Even if he got 200 points a season I would dislike him.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
IMG_3436.jpeg

From back in December 2021.. crazy stat

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
You have to wonder how Ovechkin will approach next season. Knowing how many times he's scored 40-45 in the past, can he make that push one last time to set the record next year?

It's very unlikely, but I've learned never to bet against this dude.

In all honesty, I think he'll play it next season just like this one. The record is clearly on everyone's mind. But he's still just playing hockey, and wants to win games. I don't think he'd hurt the team to try for easy goals next season.

That said. He could hit 45 next year without changing his game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You have to wonder how Ovechkin will approach next season. Knowing how many times he's scored 40-45 in the past, can he make that push one last time to set the record next year?

It's very unlikely, but I've learned never to bet against this dude.

He can try to push for it, and even if he only pots 30 again, now the record is only 15 goals away in the final year of his contract.

When he signed his 5 year contract, he needed to average 33 goals per season to get there. He scored 50 and 42, and now 27 so far this year. He’s 20 goals ahead of where that yearly quota required him to be, so he has a bit of buffer.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
In all honesty, I think he'll play it next season just like this one. The record is clearly on everyone's mind. But he's still just playing hockey, and wants to win games. I don't think he'd hurt the team to try for easy goals next season.

That said. He could hit 45 next year without changing his game.
One of the many things I love about Ovechkin is his unabashed love for the game. A few years ago, there was a game against my Habs that was tied late in the 3rd. With seconds remaining, Ovi snaps a one-timer that was headed for the back of the net, except Price stabs out his blocker and somehow saves it. Ovi reacts by smiling and tapping Price's pads. Not only a classy move, but an example of how much he simply loves playing hockey. So yeah, absolutely, if Ovechkin breaks the record, it'll be a testament to his great attitude as much as his talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad