Ovechkin milestone thread - 850 and Beyond!

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ovechkin will not become the greatest goal scorer of all time (obviously a subjective thing, anyway) the moment he reaches goal 895. If he is the greatest of all time, then he already is. Nothing a player does at Ovechkin's stage in his career is important to their 'ranking'.

What Ovi's reaching 895 would be is a nice media-hype for the NHL – a chance for it to be on the top of sports' broadcasts around the world and on the front-page of sports news worldwide. But it doesn't make Ovechkin a better hockey player.
I think formal accomplishments (most goals in the NHL history, most GWG, only player to score 900 goals - speaking of the ones surely within AO's reach) are still quite important, especially when the players from the 80s have higher single season numbers and goal-scoring longevity is a large part of Ovechkin's claim to be the best.

Capitals are in the playoff race despite correctly trading away key players for future assets. Again, the people saying all they care about is the goals race are completely incorrect.
Yeah, the Caps don't really have a lot of key players lol.

Reactions: um

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ovechkin will not become the greatest goal scorer of all time (obviously a subjective thing, anyway) the moment he reaches goal 895. If he is the greatest of all time, then he already is. Nothing a player does at Ovechkin's stage in his career is important to their 'ranking'.

What Ovi's reaching 895 would be is a nice media-hype for the NHL – a chance for it to be on the top of sports' broadcasts around the world and on the front-page of sports news worldwide. But it doesn't make Ovechkin a better hockey player.

Perhaps it’s semantics, but Ovechkin reaching 895 would make him the greatest goalscorer of all time.
That said, a debate could still be had whether he’s the best goalscorer ever.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's a valid barrier for a lot of people. Are you the greatest goal scorer of all time if you literally don't have the greatest amount of goals? Not that I particularly share the opinion, but I can certainly see the argument

Reactions: Neil Racki

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Ovechkin has been touted by many as the greatest goal scorer ever since around the time he scored his 600th. However I feel about him, passing Gretzky doesn’t make him the greatest goal scorer ever to just about anyone. Both sides of that opinion have already been formed and I suspect it is an extremely small number of people who will change their mind either way, if or when it happens.

As an example, LeBron passed Kareem in all-time points. Neither are considered the greatest scorers in NBA history, even though they’ll almost assuredly be the only two players to have owned the record for at least an 80 year period (1984 to 2023 to ? at least 2064 and beyond). This is similar to the goals record, though Gretzky owns more of a claim since he is the quickest to 300, 400, and so on, as well as owning some of top seasons as an individual. On the flip side, at least Ovechkin led the league in goals 9 times compared to my basketball example where Kareem and LeBron combined for just 3 scoring titles, 2 and 1 respectively.

I’ve never seen anything from Ovechkin that even made me pause to consider that he was a greater goal scorer than even Mario Lemieux.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Ovechkin has been touted by many as the greatest goal scorer ever since around the time he scored his 600th. However I feel about him, passing Gretzky doesn’t make him the greatest goal scorer ever to just about anyone. Both sides of that opinion have already been formed and I suspect it is an extremely small number of people who will change their mind either way, if or when it happens.

As an example, LeBron passed Kareem in all-time points. Neither are considered the greatest scorers in NBA history, even though they’ll almost assuredly be the only two players to have owned the record for at least an 80 year period (1984 to 2023 to ? at least 2064 and beyond). This is similar to the goals record, though Gretzky owns more of a claim since he is the quickest to 300, 400, and so on, as well as owning some of top seasons as an individual. On the flip side, at least Ovechkin led the league in goals 9 times compared to my basketball example where Kareem and LeBron combined for just 3 scoring titles, 2 and 1 respectively.

I’ve never seen anything from Ovechkin that even made me pause to consider that he was a greater goal scorer than even Mario Lemieux.
I agree with this post. Bobby Hull led the league in scoring 7 times then spent 7 years in the WHL. He could have 9 but he doesn't. Bossy had 573 goals in 10 years. Mario only played around 150 games after age 32 and has the highest GPG. Gretzky is still the all time leader.

I don't think the argument is as clear cut as some make it out to be. Time will tell if Ovi can even break it. He fell off massively this year in terms of scoring and I don't see him improving next year or the following.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I agree with this post. Bobby Hull led the league in scoring 7 times then spent 7 years in the WHL. He could have 9 but he doesn't. Bossy had 573 goals in 10 years. Mario only played around 150 games after age 32 and has the highest GPG. Gretzky is still the all time leader.

I don't think the argument is as clear cut as some make it out to be. Time will tell if Ovi can even break it. He fell off massively this year in terms of scoring and I don't see him improving next year or the following.
The thing is that you can compare one single attribute of goalscoring, and Ovechkin is usually up there at that top of the attribute, whereas these other guys dont.

When Ovechkin finishes his career, he'll have the following on his resume:
-> Most times leading the league in goals (a dominant lead as well on the field, especially when considering that the only person with 7 times to Ovi's 9 did it with a Canadian-only league).
-> Most times leading the league in goals/gp
-> Most adjusted goals (and likely a solid lead at that too)
-> 1st or 2nd in raw goals
-> One of the highest adjusted-goal scoring seasons of all-time

If you take all of the different ways you could assess who the greatest goal scorer of all-time is, Ovechkin is either #1 or right at the top in every conceivable metric.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad