Speculation: Moving up in the 2024 draft

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I would consider Guhle for Zegras. Not desperate to do this but it's making me think. Zegras and Iggy in, Guhle out. Try to package the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd, Harris/Ylonen to move up to 14-18 range and draft a center/winger with size.

Our D without Guhle (next season):
Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux
Struble, Barron, Kova (Harris traded)

Our D without Guhle (Future):
Hutson / Reinbacher
Xhekaj / Mailloux
Struble / Barron
Engstrom
Our D without Guhle looks gross and even more gross in the future. Lane, Reinbacher and Maillioux should not be in the NHL next season. That D group gets up top 10 picks in the next two years guaranteed. Not a good thing

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Big no from Chicago. While the drop in talent from 2 to 5 may very well be more than offset by the Winnipeg first and a young d, optically it is bad for the Hawks. They'll take whoever they consider to be BPA at #2 and it will be interesting to see who that is - forward or defence.

Reactions: Benstheman

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If the price is right, I'd contemplate taking the Winnipeg jets 1st + another good asset like an early 2nd rounder to move down. I bet the asking price by the non-aggressor (the hawks) will be a little more than this, but I like the proposal. The Hawks are pretty loaded with left-handed defensemen at the moment so I doubt that's what they'd want.

Thinking about this a little more, I think since the Hawks have so many 2nd-3rd round picks, we could request a 3rd 1st rounder and add onto the 2nd oa with 1 or 2 of those picks, but the Hawks likely stay put

Reactions: Rozz

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If we're moving up, it's because of Demidov, and Anaheim is the most likely target. If Levshunov is gone to Chicago, Anaheim will likely go for one of Buium or Yakemchuk but they know both will probably be available at 5, and will look to pick up some extra assets.
Exactly this. Chicago will draft the player they want at 2. Anaheim should be the target to trade up and draft Demidov at 3 if he is still there. The other incentive is leapfrog Columbus who might want to draft the same player than Habs, aka Lindstrom.

IMO, you trade up to 3 if you absolutely want Demidov or Lindstrom. Winipeg's pick should be enough or close to it. If no deal comes out of that, you pray one of them slides to 5OA.

If top 4 is Celebrini, Levshunov, Demidov and Lindstrom, BPA available automatically become LHD imo. Dickinson, Buium, Silayev. If Ottawa or Calgary are interested in one of them, they might be willing to trade picks with us, throwing in the late first they also got.

That push us down to 7OA or 9OA, where we're good for 1 of Iginla, Helenius, Catton, Sennecke.

Ill take Lindstrom plus winnipegs first and beck / roy any day over Demidov
Me too.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I would consider Guhle for Zegras. Not desperate to do this but it's making me think. Zegras and Iggy in, Guhle out. Try to package the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd, Harris/Ylonen to move up to 14-18 range and draft a center/winger with size.

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Hutson / Reinbacher
Xhekaj / Mailloux
Struble / Barron
Engstrom

Our F (next season):
Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Evans / Anderson
Armia / Dvorak / Gallagher
RHP, Pezzetta

Our F (Future):
Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Iggy / Beck or Kapanen / Newhook
4th line unpredictable
Horrible left side D without Guhle.

Reactions: Deebs

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
If you move Guhle for anything not an LD, you better draft an LD with that first pick since they might be the actual BPAs at 5

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not sure I see the benefit to moving up unless its part of an unprecedented roster shuffle or the front office is incredibly high on someone (which may not be the best idea). It feels like there's a stronger consensus among fans on HFBoards on the draft order than literally anywhere else (online, 3rd party scouts, reports from front offices).

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
For me it wouldn't be moving up but more try to trade for a 2nd top 10-15 pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our D without Guhle looks gross and even more gross in the future. Lane, Reinbacher and Maillioux should not be in the NHL next season. That D group gets up top 10 picks in the next two years guaranteed. Not a good thing

I don't like the horrible or gross narrative. It's in insult to Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Engstrom on the left side.

Where Huston, Reinbacher, Mailloux "should" be is not determined. Ideally, we bring them along slowly yes but I think it's doable if that's what we have to do next year. Yeah, we stand to improve in the standings but we all know we are not ready yet. It's another transition year but better than last season. Another step forward.

I like Guhle a lot but I also liked Romanov a lot too. Guhle is not one I really want to trade but I also do want an improved forward group. I think we would be fine if most of our D develops into what we think they can be. Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, and Matheson (if he stays) carry the office and the rest provide sound D.

Sorry, I don't agree with "this is the worse" in a debate. It's exaggeration to prove a point which makes it weak. Yes, ideally, we prefer to keep Guhle and try to get Zegras another way but not so sure it's doable. It might take years to add a offensive skill like Zegras. We went years without adding centers when we had Price. Sometimes, you got to make a bold move earlier vs later. Romanov/Dach was one of them and Guhle/Zegras may be another.

If you had to pick (forced to)... who would you trade. Guhle or Reinbacher for Zegras?

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
As much as I would like to get Demidov, I prefer we use our asset to get an extra top 6 player.

I prefer to start the season with [Lindstrom/Iginal/Catton] + [Mercer/Necas/etc] then just Demidov.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Hutson / Reinbacher
Xhekaj / Mailloux
Struble / Barron
Engstrom

Our F (next season):
Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Evans / Anderson
Armia / Dvorak / Gallagher
RHP, Pezzetta

Our F (Future):
Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Iggy / Beck or Kapanen / Newhook
4th line unpredictable
Very possible.........................although I really like Guhlie, and think we are about to see him take big steps this season.............it sure has merit to deal him for an offensive top 6 guy.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I don't think we'll need to move up to select Demidov. If anything, maybe we'll have to move up to 4 to ensure no one else does.

The Blackhawks don't have a single top 4 RHD prospect and they'll have the chance to draft one who can partner Korchinski.

The Ducks added Gauthier to an already very good young group of forwards, trading away Drysdale in the process - I'd be very surprised if they don't pick a Dman.

Columbus have been picking at or near the top of the draft for the past few seasons and have consistently selected talented forwards. They very well may pick another forward, but it's just difficult for me to see that happen with who they have in the system already.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Not sure I agree with the horrible narrative, but it will depend on how good Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Engstrom are.
It's just because you lack a solid 1st pair lhd. I think Hutson will be ok defensively but not enough to be an effective top pair. Don't think he will be good enough to be the go to guy with Reinbacher when we will need to protect a 1 goal lead in the last minute of play. I realize at some point, everyone may have a different vision of what a top pair D should look like. For me, a top pair D needs to be pretty good to elite in every aspect.

As for the others, although i didn't see much of Engstrom, i don't see them as second pair D on a contender team. Not out of the question but it would be a big surprise if it were to be the case.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's just because you lack a solid 1st pair lhd. I think Hutson will be ok defensively but not enough to be an effective top pair. Don't think he will be good enough to be the go to guy with Reinbacher when we will need to protect a 1 goal lead in the last minute of play. I realize at some point, everyone may have a different vision of what a top pair D should look like. For me, a top pair D needs to be pretty good to elite in every aspect.

As for the others, although i didn't see much of Engstrom, i don't see them as second pair D on a contender team. Not out of the question but it would be a big surprise if it were to be the case.
Yup, I understand the risks. I'm just not as high on Guhle as some are. Very good top 4D yes but I don't consider him a top pairing stud. Plays good D and is physical.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I posted on their forum offering the following, and it seems to be a deal made. Hear me out.

5th + Roy/Beck + Jets 1st.

Steep I know. But, if it gets us Demidov, who projects as a top line winger it is worth it IMO.

Roy is good, I like him. In this scenario he has no room on either of our top 2 lines. He is a third liner. At best, he is a Tyler Toffoli, at worst, an AHLer. He is somewhere in between for me. If it is Beck they wanted, it is a tougher pill to swallow, as he is a prospect at a needed position, centre. But with Dach and Suzuki, Beck will never ascend past a 3rd line centre. I doubt he reaches higher anywhere. We can fill that hole through FA, or we just hang on to Dvorak, who is probably the ceiling for Beck anyways. The Jets pick at best is 24. One needs only to look at the list of 24 overall picks to realize, they are not going to be a massive breakout star.

So.....if we want Demidov, and are certain on his top line potential. I would pull this deal. The Chicago board seems to like it too.

Roy is 10x the pill vs. Beck. Roy is a much better player than Beck.

Reactions: stanley25 and Leto

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yup, I understand the risks. I'm just not as high on Guhle as some are. Very good top 4D yes but I don't consider him a top pairing stud. Plays good D and is physical.
I think where people differ of opinions on Guhle is his offense. i'm pretty sure it will eventually come. Great skating, great hockey sense and a really solid shot. i think he will easily be a 40 pts guy without PP time. Maybe even 50 pts.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I personally would rather trade NHL bodies than pay to move up. There is a logjam on D, especially at LD. I would probably keep Guhle (unless the contract demands don't align next season), but could see moving some of the other guys including some of the younger guys and Matheson, Savard, Kovacevic. I'm not saying trade all of them, but decisions have to be made. Either KH trades some, or else he is going to start losing them to waivers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think where people differ of opinions on Guhle is his offense. i'm pretty sure it will eventually come. Great skating, great hockey sense and a really solid shot. i think he will easily be a 40 pts guy without PP time. Maybe even 50 pts.

Depends if he can show better ability to play the PP. If he doesn't, it will be hard for him to get to 40-50 pts. Honestly, I don't think we use him on the PP and more on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad