Ovechkin just won his 9th Rocket. Does this change how you view him?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think the most interesting thing to consider here is that defensemen age better, at least going off the awards they tend to get in their post-30 years. Maybe part of that is that Norris and defensemen All-star votes are based on reputation more than hard numbers; it is also true that the skill set defensemen need is not that age-dependent. But in any case it seems that in this sort of "All-star" comparison forwards are shortchanged just because they are forwards.

Take Jagr and Lidstrom as an example: Lidstrom has 10x 1st All-star team, 2x 2nd All-star team; Jagr, as a winger, has 7x 1st All-star team, 1x 2nd All-star team, and I do not think he ever came 3rd or 4th in voting, so it is likely that if we scramble for additional seasons when Jagr was better than 4th-best defenseman, we will come back with nothing. When would that be - 1993/94? 2001/02? 2006/07?

I think you said on the previous page that you think Sakic was better than Lidstrom - can you find 10 seasons when Sakic was better than the best defenseman in the league? Even if we dig deep and take all the years when Sakic finished top4 in All-star voting as a C, we have 9 such seasons (and no, it is not about Sakic losing to Lemieux and Gretzky: he finished behind Zhamnov, Modano, Oates, Francis in different years).

And then Chelios sticks around forever and gets on 1st All-star team as a 40-year-old (and as a 33-year-old, and as a 34-year-old).

So it seems like counting All-star team appearances overvalues defensemen as compared to forwards, and probably by a lot.

There are smaller points to make as well: for example, "9 1st All-star teams outside of the peak years" sounds like overselling Bourque, because in two years early on Norris voters dissented and once did not even nominate him. Also, Ovechkin's off-peak 2014/15 and probably 2012/13 can well be better than any of those off-peak all-star team finishes by Bourque.

Agree about the reputation voting that goes on for veteran defenseman. In some cases it makes up for a guy getting jobbed early in his career, though in Bourque's case he managed to be on the radar from day one. It seems less prevalent among forwards.

One problem with forward AST selections though is that the threshold to get one of the spots can swing wildly. There are years where the third or fourth best forward in the league won't make it, years where the 12th or 14th best forward might. The fact that they have not differentiated between LD and RD since long ago gets rid of this problem for defensemen.

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Agree about the reputation voting that goes on for veteran defenseman. In some cases it makes up for a guy getting jobbed early in his career, though in Bourque's case he managed to be on the radar from day one. It seems less prevalent among forwards.

One problem with forward AST selections though is that the threshold to get one of the spots can swing wildly. There are years where the third or fourth best forward in the league won't make it, years where the 12th or 14th best forward might. The fact that they have not differentiated between LD and RD since long ago gets rid of this problem for defensemen.

It's really tricky comparing AST across positions and eras, because so much context needs to be applied each time I agree. In some cases the fluctuation between 2 player's AST conditions is so wild that this comparison is completely useless and tells us nothing. It's almost better in cases like this to completely ignore AST, and instead come up with your subjective tier-based analysis of seasons being compared and slot them accordingly.

To a lesser extent - top hart placement or top 5-10 scoring finishes - exact same idea.

To take the most famous example of all - Gordie Howe with 20 straight top 5 scoring finishes. If he had been playing in today's league of 30 teams - he wouldn't have 20 straight top 5 scoring finishes. More talent - and in many years his 5th place might translate to an 8th or 9th place, etc. I'm not saying this to diminish Howe - but when we compare him to someone like Ovechkin (not sure why anyone would of course) counting top 5 finishes would need some context. Which not everybody always considers.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
To take the most famous example of all - Gordie Howe with 20 straight top 5 scoring finishes. If he had been playing in today's league of 30 teams - he wouldn't have 20 straight top 5 scoring finishes. More talent - and in many years his 5th place might translate to an 8th or 9th place, etc. I'm not saying this to diminish Howe - but when we compare him to someone like Ovechkin (not sure why anyone would of course) counting top 5 finishes would need some context. Which not everybody always considers.
What makes you so sure? Jagr was not too far (what was he, 12?).

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I kind of agree with you as voters are prone to having recency bias but with the break in play alot of voters are going to rely on the stats.

It's also ironic how you view Carlson and Ovechkin in much different light this year.
It's a tale of 2 seasons with John Carlson. While he was off the charts stellar offensively and well above average defensively for the first few months, which un-ironically coincided with the Capitals being right on pace with Tampa of the previous year, half through December John's play fell off a cliff. In addition he is the key reason as to why the Washington Capitals powerplay is at an an unacceptable percentage. Not only was he not a threat to score on the PP as he had been previously, his passing and decision making were horrid. As a result the Capitals were a .500 team over the past 2 months of the season, something that people who shout "first in the Metro!" fail to understand as they had built up that big of a cushion to start the year.

As for Ovechkin I understand the qualms in point production and by correlation, assists but to me that's far more to do with the dramatic drop off on the powerplay than anything. He's also contended with a revolving door on the top line with Kuznetsov injuries and drop in play coinciding with a no longer prime, but still good Backstrom having to step into a role the team thought they had filled for the next 4-5 years. My point is that even during that prolonged slump, which is exactly what it was, Ovechkin was still seemingly pulling wins out of the jaws of defeat by himself. I can point to at least 5 games within those 2 months that the Capitals had zero business winning where Ovi just willed them to victory.

It's CLEAR Ovechkin is not the player he was. He's not as fast as he used to be, his ability to carry the puck has diminished and he does play upright more as well but what I've also seen over the past 2 years is that when the games matter he still has it and he's still the Capitals best player by far. a few less assists don't change that at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: filinski77

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
What makes you so sure? Jagr was not too far (what was he, 12?).

12 is pretty far from 20 :)

1955 is an easy example. He finished 5th in scoring. But - that's only because it's a 6 team league. If instead of 1955 it had been 2014 (made the example earlier in the thread) - you have star players from ~30 teams capable of scoring more than him. 1955 wasn't a great year points-wise for him - so in a 30 team league with players like Giroux, Neal, Seguin etc - odds are a few of those surpass such a year and bump him down to below top 5 (maybe even below top 10).

If you want a more recent example look at Crosby in 2018. He finished 10th i believe with 89 points. I think that 10th place scoring season in a league with only 6 teams likely ends up top 2-5 in scoring at worst, in comparison.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Likewise, you keep ignoring the facts that
(a) When Bourque started in the NHL, there were about 240 fewer available NHL jobs than in recent years (thereby eliminating your 'talent pool' argument); and

Indeed there are 50% more teams than 1980, but the talent pool has increased by probably a minimum of 300% since then, so I think your statement is very much the opposite of reality.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin was so excellent that I recall discussions debating whether or not Washington was screwed as a franchise going forward due to his big contract and sharply declining performance.

Indeed people say all sorts of things. Some even believed Toews is better than Malkin, and the moon landings were faked.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
What I'm doing is showing that HOH has consistently ranked defensemen higher than forwards with similar (or even superior) Hart voting records. That's necessary, because forwards have a much easier time earning Hart votes. If we didn't do that, the project would have been heavily biased in favour of forwards.

I think you have an underlying logical flaw - you assume defensemen must be proportionately represented (or somewhat proportionately represented) among the greatest players of all time. The problem is, the vast majority of the greatest talents don't choose to play defense.

I don't think it would have made the project biased to acknowledge this reality: The greatest prospects - the McDavids of the world - are far more likely to want to be forwards. This is true in lots of other sports too - tackles > guards, starting pitchers > relief pitchers, hitting > fielding. To control for position may actually be biased.

Hockey Outsider said:
We're not talking about Howie Morenz here. Many (most?) of the people posting here have actually witnessed some/all of Bourque's career (and therefore his contemporaries). I can confidently state that, at a minimum, Gretzky and Lemieux were substantially better players than anybody from the past fifteen years. Is this even debatable?

The top two players of Bourque's era are clearly better than the top two players of Ovechkin's era. Even if the next five or ten players in each era are close, how does this equate to Bourque facing "vastly inferior" competition, especially since the Hart votes are usually concentrated among the top few players in a season? Maybe the 12th best player today is better than the 12th best player in 1990 - but the 12th best player in any season isn't going to win the Hart.

The next 5 or 10 players probably aren't close. The #15 player from today may very well be far ahead of the #10 player from 1984. Ahead of this season, Leon Draisaitl was ranked 20th by the sporting news.

Ranking the top 25 NHL forwards in 2019-20

It's a far deeper NHL. All the evidence points to this.

Lemieux and Gretzky are probably better than anyone playing today, but if we go 50 years without anyone being able to make the ridiculous amount of separation from the pack the way they did (and Bobby Orr), it's going to look increasingly like the weakness of the era was the primary factor.

Hockey Outsider said:
For the record - you were the one who compared the Hart voting results between Ovechkin and Bourque. You brought that up - not any of the HOH regulars. When it was quickly demonstrated that it was a bad argument, only then did you start arguing that Bourque's competition for the Hart was inferior. That seems suspicious - if you actually thought that was true, why would you even make the Hart trophy argument in the first place?

I've been arguing for years that the talent pool has dramatically increased. I argued this point with you, specifically you, what, last week? Bizarre that you would accuse me of inventing this just now. This obviously isn't some new thing I just came up with - it's absolutely not a moving goal post. Canada used to be 97% of the NHL (at the beginning of Bobby Hull's career). 76% in Gretzky's heyday. Now it's 41.9%, and Canada's population has doubled since 1960 when 1980s players were born and tripled since Bobby Hull's generation was born (remember those numbers?).

You guys have anecdotal evidence to say kids are fat now because of video games, or immigrants don't count, hockey gear has somehow outpaced inflation, or whatever. It's mostly weak. The fertility data relative to the baby boom is a fair point, and relevant. Again, that's a deep dive and certainly worthy of its own thread topic. IMO the question is how much the talent pool increased by, and certainly not "if."

Hockey Outsider said:
Show me where "this forum" stated that Canada with a population of 11M produced as much hockey talent as the entire world today.

For the record - Canada had a population of 11M in 1937. If we look at the HOH Top 100 list, there were seven Canadians (plus one Russian) born in the 11 year period spanning 1932 to 1942. In the 11 year period spanning 1960 to 1970, the list had 19 players (11 Canadians, 3 Americans, 2 Finns, 1 Czech, 1 Russian, and 1 Swede). So the final product actually reflects the fact that the talent pool was both larger and more diverse compared to the Great Depression / early WWII era. If HOH treated that older, much smaller talent pool as being equal, this result would be impossible.

Nobody is accusing the project of an anti 1960s or bias. Quite the opposite. I am accusing you guys of an anti 2000s and 2010s bias.

This is evidenced by there being 5 players from the 50s and 60s ranked above the best ranked player from the 2000s and 2010s.

So the top 100 players project participants collectively believe Canada from 1921 to 1939 (18 years) with a population of 9-11 million, and no baby boom, put out 5 talents greater than the whole world did - inclusive of 30M Canada - in today's international NHL? I find that to be on the extreme end of unlikely.

Certainly you can argue that today's players aren't done yet. Crosby and Ovechkin can still add to their legacies, and they still are. But unless the needle moves, then it's going to look a little strange.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
You guys have anecdotal evidence to say kids are fat now because of video games, or immigrants don't count, hockey gear has somehow outpaced inflation, or whatever.

How is the following "anecdotal evidence"?

According to the 2016 Census, 1.9 million people in Canada were of South Asian descent, 1.6 of Chinese descent, 0.8 million of Filipino descent, 0.3 million of other South East Asian descent, 0.2 million of Korean descent. Those communities added up to almost 19% of the entire population back in 2016 (it should be more now) and the number of NHL players from those communities can be counted on one hand.

The first part are census numbers. The second part is a claim you could easily prove wrong if it wasn't true.

The fertility data relative to the baby boom is a fair point, and relevant.
And yet, you act as if it isn't. Those fertility numbers show clearly that there were more people in a hockey-relevant age in Canada back in the 1970s and 1980s than there are today.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If you want a more recent example look at Crosby in 2018. He finished 10th i believe with 89 points. I think that 10th place scoring season in a league with only 6 teams likely ends up top 2-5 in scoring at worst, in comparison.

Far too much speculation here.

The 5th best scorer, on average, from 1946 to 1966 was about the same % behind the leader as the 10th place scorer in the last 20 years or so.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So you had to go back to 1992 to find an example you could use as another candidate for a weak Hart. And then 1960. If you can't find more than one example from the last 59 years to place below 2013 Ovechkin in the pecking order...well, I don't blame you. They don't appear to exist.

You're twisting yourself into a pretzel here, Kyle. I didn't bring up those Hart-winning seasons simply because they were weaker than Ovechkin's. I brought them up because they were objectively weak Harts.

If I were actually ranking recent Hart winners, I'd place Ovechkin's 12-13 season comfortably ahead of Taylor Hall's. Comfortably. You can check yourself on Hockey Reference that Ovechkin adjusted goals created for his season compare very favourably to Hall's (46 to 37). I'd also place it ahead of McDavid's year in 2016-17 (46 to 41) and as roughly comparable in productivity to Kucherov last year (46 each).

But if we're being fair, the onus shouldn't be on me to make an ironclad case, but rather on the person claiming that Ovechkin had a weak Hart without even attempting to make a good argument.

The thing is, by pretty much every statistical measurement, Ovechkin had an excellent Hart. But this fact kinda throws a wrench into the view held by a few very emotional folks on this board that he wasn't a very good player anymore.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Messier scored 35 goals that season.

Again, denigrating historical players is not helping you make your point about Ovechkin (which I otherwise agree with). It is making you look not very knowledgeable about hockey history. (For example, you don't seem to be aware that Hart trophy is not the Art Ross.)

I mis-typed 35 as 25, while the point stands. Get off your high horse, mate.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You're twisting yourself into a pretzel here, Kyle. I didn't bring up those Hart-winning seasons simply because they were weaker than Ovechkin's. I brought them up because they were objectively weak Harts.

If I were actually ranking recent Hart winners, I'd place Ovechkin's 12-13 season comfortably ahead of Taylor Hall's. Comfortably. You can check yourself on Hockey Reference that Ovechkin adjusted goals created for his season compare very favourably to Hall's (46 to 37). I'd also place it ahead of McDavid's year in 2016-17 (46 to 41) and as roughly comparable in productivity to Kucherov last year (46 each).

But if we're being fair, the onus shouldn't be on me to make an ironclad case, but rather on the person claiming that Ovechkin had a weak Hart without even attempting to make a good argument.

The thing is, by pretty much every statistical measurement, Ovechkin had an excellent Hart. But this fact kinda throws a wrench into the view held by a few very emotional folks on this board that he wasn't a very good player anymore.

Do you have any argument that Ovechkin was the league's most valuable player in 2013 beyond the counting stats he compiled with the significant advantage of playing against terrible Southeast Division opponents? We're not talking about some player from 90 years ago, we all watched him. For reasons that aren't entirely clear he just wasn't nearly as good from 2012-2014 as the rest of his career. The fact that a hot streak that was literally a dozen games managed to convince the same media that felt he might be done as an elite player in March of 2013 that he was actually the league's MVP in April of 2013 is Exhibit A of why awards voting just can't be taken that seriously anymore.

Taylor Hall led a bad team to the playoffs for the first time in a while. 40 points more than any teammate. Connor McDavid led a team that was a perennial basement dweller to their best regular season in decades, comfortably winning the scoring title in his first full NHL season. Had more help than Hall, but still not a ton of it. Conversely, Ovechkin had two other teammates right behind him in the scoring race and his team at best met expectations, definitely didn't exceed them. That stuff matters when it comes to the Hart Trophy, or at least it did in every other year.

Reactions: seventieslord

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's really tricky comparing AST across positions and eras, because so much context needs to be applied each time I agree. In some cases the fluctuation between 2 player's AST conditions is so wild that this comparison is completely useless and tells us nothing. It's almost better in cases like this to completely ignore AST, and instead come up with your subjective tier-based analysis of seasons being compared and slot them accordingly.

To a lesser extent - top hart placement or top 5-10 scoring finishes - exact same idea.

On the whole, award/all-star/top-10 etc. counting gets over-emphasized in these comparisons, and it probably always will. Not saying I was never guilty of it myself, either.

Reactions: senior edler

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I think you have an underlying logical flaw - you assume defensemen must be proportionately represented (or somewhat proportionately represented) among the greatest players of all time. The problem is, the vast majority of the greatest talents don't choose to play defense.

We've been waiting for your list for two years now. At least post your top fifty and help educate us as to which specific defensemen were overrated, and which specific forwards were underrated.

I disagree that forwards are more valuable than defenseman. The value that a good two-way defenseman can bring to his team is enormous. From 1996 (the start of the five-ballot Hart) to 2019, defenseman have earned less than 4% of the votes for the Hart trophy. Are you seriously going to argue that these results, where defensemen only earn 1/25th of the available votes, in any way reflects reality? I find it surprising we even need to discuss this point.

It's true that top prospects in recent years are disproportionately forwards. There are two obvious reasons for that. One, offense is easier to measure than defense. Even if two players are equally talented/impactful, it's easier for the forward to "prove" their value through stats. Defense can only be measured indirectly. Even if two players are equally good, the forward's talent is easier to measure (making him a less risky pick and more likely to be taken higher - leading him to getting more hype before the draft).

Two, players reach their offense peaks at a relatively young age and defensive abilities (and defensemen in general) tend to peak later. So even if there were two equally talented prospects, it makes sense for a team to pick the forward first - they're more likely to get most of that player's best years before he becomes a free agent.

I don't think it would have made the project biased to acknowledge this reality: The greatest prospects - the McDavids of the world - are far more likely to want to be forwards. This is true in lots of other sports too - tackles > guards, starting pitchers > relief pitchers, hitting > fielding. To control for position may actually be biased.

If we take this argument literally, we could conclude that centres are more valuable than wingers. Centres have a greater impact on the ice compared to wingers (so do defensemen, for the record); there are more all-time great centers than wingers; and more elite forward prospects are centers than wingers. Do we now use this as an argument for Crosby over Ovechkin? I'm fairly sure you wouldn't make that argument when comparing Crosby and Ovechkin (correct me if I'm wrong) - you'd argue, and rightly so, that we're comparing individual players, not positions as a whole. So why make that argument here?

The next 5 or 10 players probably aren't close. The #15 player from today may very well be far ahead of the #10 player from 1984. Ahead of this season, Leon Draisaitl was ranked 20th by the sporting news.

Ranking the top 25 NHL forwards in 2019-20

It's a far deeper NHL. All the evidence points to this.

Lemieux and Gretzky are probably better than anyone playing today, but if we go 50 years without anyone being able to make the ridiculous amount of separation from the pack the way they did (and Bobby Orr), it's going to look increasingly like the weakness of the era was the primary factor.

We're talking about Bourque versus Ovechkin (right)? There were 4 years, 4 months between Bourque's last NHL game (a season in which he was a Norris trophy finalist and played 28:32 per game on a Stanley Cup winning team), and the start of Ovechkin's first game. That would have been 3 years, 4 months if not for the lockout (Ovechkin was almost certainly NHL-ready in 2005).

Again, we're not talking about Howie Morenz here. Held me understand how the NHL advanced so dramatically in 3-4 years that Bourque gets downgraded in this player-to-player comparison.

Back to the Hart trophy argument - who was the 15th best player in the NHL this year - maybe Jack Eichel or Alex Pietrangelo? Maybe it's true they're better than the 10th best player in 1987 (perhaps one of Ron Francis, Michel Goulet, or Mark Howe). But does that matter, when Bourque finished 2nd in Hart voting to 183 point Gretzky (who took 49 of the 54 first-place votes)? That's another reason the Hart trophy argument is a bad one (in addition to it being unfair to compare across positions) - it doesn't matter who played in a deeper league - what's important is who faced the stiffest top-end competition.

I've been arguing for years that the talent pool has dramatically increased. I argued this point with you, specifically you, what, last week? Bizarre that you would accuse me of inventing this just now. This obviously isn't some new thing I just came up with - it's absolutely not a moving goal post. Canada used to be 97% of the NHL (at the beginning of Bobby Hull's career). 76% in Gretzky's heyday. Now it's 41.9%, and Canada's population has doubled since 1960 when 1980s players were born and tripled since Bobby Hull's generation was born (remember those numbers?).

You guys have anecdotal evidence to say kids are fat now because of video games, or immigrants don't count, hockey gear has somehow outpaced inflation, or whatever. It's mostly weak. The fertility data relative to the baby boom is a fair point, and relevant. Again, that's a deep dive and certainly worthy of its own thread topic. IMO the question is how much the talent pool increased by, and certainly not "if."

My point was - you brought up Hart trophy voting as evidence that Ovechkin was better. A bunch of posters here shot down that argument, pretty much simultaneously. Only then did you start talking about how Hart voting was unfair because of the larger talent pool Ovechkin faced. If that's really what you thought, you wouldn't have brought up the Hart trophy in the first place. Why would you advance an argument that you're now saying is invalid? You only brought it up after the flaws in the argument were exposed; you're trying to salvage what's left of a weakened position.

Yes, we talked about Canada's talent pool a few days ago. My point (which is well-supported by both data and common sense) is that the increase in the size of Canada's talent pool is less than the overall increase in Canada's population.

Of course the global talent pool is bigger today than it was 25 or 50 years ago - but who's denied that here? You're running around attacking positions that no regular on HOH has taken. For the record, I agree with your last two sentences above.

Nobody is accusing the project of an anti 1960s or bias. Quite the opposite. I am accusing you guys of an anti 2000s and 2010s bias.

This is evidenced by there being 5 players from the 50s and 60s ranked above the best ranked player from the 2000s and 2010s.

So the top 100 players project participants collectively believe Canada from 1921 to 1939 (18 years) with a population of 9-11 million, and no baby boom, put out 5 talents greater than the whole world did - inclusive of 30M Canada - in today's international NHL? I find that to be on the extreme end of unlikely.

Certainly you can argue that today's players aren't done yet. Crosby and Ovechkin can still add to their legacies, and they still are. But unless the needle moves, then it's going to look a little strange.

Every time there's a version of this project (the first one was more than a decade ago), one of the main criticisms that non-participants make is - why aren't recent players better represented? The reason is the same every time. Very recent players don't rank higher, because they haven't finished their careers yet. McDavid could legitimately end up in our top 20 (or higher) - but he's clearly not there yet. Crosby and Ovechkin could end up in our top 10 - and they're getting close (maybe Crosby is already there), but in my opinion neither is there yet.

When we re-do this project in, say 2030, we could very well have five players from the 2000s/2010s in the top twenty (those three plus Lidstrom and Jagr, if he counts). Malkin perhaps could have made it, if not for injuries. That's not even including players like Lemieux, Hasek, Roy, Messier and Bourque, who all played a bit in the 21st century.

If you look back at the 2008 project - there's been a ton of turnover on the list. In 11 years we added 10 players who built their legacies since 2008 (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Pronger, Selanne, Kane, Chara, Thornton, St. Louis, Keith). Then you have other players who moved up significantly based on what they added since 2008 (Lidstrom being the best example). If we were systematically biased against players from the 2000's and 2010's, as you've suggested, that type of transformation would be impossible.

The Hockey News did a top 100 project in 1997. It was, at the time, the most thorough and credible ranked list that anybody ever put together. But the biggest embarrassment was having Eric Lindros (who had played less than 300 games at the time) ranked 54th. They were obviously projecting how his career would turn out, and now they look silly for counting their chickens before they hatched. All of the HOH projects have strict "no projecting" rules - we want to avoid embarrassing outcomes like that (and, of course, we can't predict the future, even if we wanted to). So we're assuming Ovechkin doesn't score 800 goals, and McDavid doesn't win six Art Ross trophies - because it hasn't happened yet.

My point is - if you think that Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid (or other recent players) are underrated on our list - give them a chance to finish their careers! Is it really surprising that 13 years of Crosby is ranked lower than 20 years of Beliveau? Longevity for the sake of longevity isn't rewarded, but Beliveau was a Hart finalist or Conn Smythe winner at ages 32, 33, 34, 36 and 37. When we finished the project more than a year ago, Crosby had just turned 31. Give him a chance to build a legacy over his full career. The results of the projects clearly show that most regulars here are willing to change their minds and give modern players a fair assessment - but it has to be based on evidence and actual accomplishments - not projections.

Last edited:

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I am not sure why Ovechkin 2012/13 season is getting so much heat. Measuring him against his pears, he was 52% ahead of #10 in goals and 14% ahead of #10 in points. If you convert that to 2018/19 currency, Ovechkin's 2012/13 would pro-rate to 62 goals and 107 points - maybe he would not have taken Kucherov's Hart away, but he would have been hands down 2nd-best player (e.g., better than McDavid with his 41 goals and 116 points).

Seasons with comparable leads include: Selanne 97/98 (nominated for Hart, finished behind Hasek and Jagr), Brett Hull 89/90 (nominated for Hart behind Messier and Bourque), Bossy 80/81 (4th in Hart voting behind Gretzky/Liut/Dionne). Having a season that would have been a top3 season in Brett Hull's or Bossy's career is nothing to sneeze at.

In terms of recent Hart wins, I would put Ovechkin's 2012/13 Hart ahead of Taylor Hall's and probably MSL's (in 2003/2004 currency, Ovechkin's 2012/13 pro-rates to 50 goals and 88 points vs. MSL's 38 goals and 94 points), and a small step behind Corey Perry's and Iginla's (I still think he should have had it instead of Theodore). The fact that Ovechkin won his Hart in a final spurt, when he scored 22 goals in 21 games, should not be a detraction - many Hart races were won this way, and it is hard to blame Ovechkin for the fact that the league played a shortened season. He scored at a goal-per-game pace for nearly the second half of the season, he got rewarded for that.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Far too much speculation here.

The 5th best scorer, on average, from 1946 to 1966 was about the same % behind the leader as the 10th place scorer in the last 20 years or so.

So.....you agree with me? Cool

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So.....you agree with me? Cool

The only thing I think is reasonable to conclude is when comparing Top X finishes for Hull vs. Top X finishes for Ovechkin is to give OV an edge if their career resumes look similar. Not a big fan of moving players up a statistical notch as that brings in too much speculation.

I don't think you can categorically say that a 3rd for Hull in any particular year is the same as an 8th for OV for example.

Hull has more higher end Art Ross finishes than OV and the higher peak season even when considering league sizes. This is reflected in Hull's higher relative PPG vs. his peers over his prime (1960 to 1972) vs. OV's.

Any doubts about regular season resumes are out to rest when their playoff resumes where again Hull has a more impressive PPG vs. his peers than OV does while also leading in points.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The only thing I think is reasonable to conclude is when comparing Top X finishes for Hull vs. Top X finishes for Ovechkin is to give OV an edge if their career resumes look similar. Not a big fan of moving players up a statistical notch as that brings in too much speculation.

I don't think you can categorically say that a 3rd for Hull in any particular year is the same as an 8th for OV for example.

Hull has more higher end Art Ross finishes than OV and the higher peak season even when considering league sizes. This is reflected in Hull's higher relative PPG vs. his peers over his prime (1960 to 1972) vs. OV's.

Any doubts about regular season resumes are out to rest when their playoff resumes where again Hull has a more impressive PPG vs. his peers than OV does while also leading in points.

To the bolded - no, of course you can't, and I never suggested that. All i'm saying don't count "top 5 scoring finishes" in different eras as they aren't the same. Many top 5 scoring finishes in one era would translate to....non-top 5 in another.

Gordie Howe with 20 top 5 scoring finishes - i'm sure at least a few of them would end up below top 5 if he was playing in a 30 team league. So - make sure to add in a lot of context when you bring that up

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
To the bolded - no, of course you can't, and I never suggested that. All i'm saying don't count "top 5 scoring finishes" in different eras as they aren't the same. Many top 5 scoring finishes in one era would translate to....non-top 5 in another.

Gordie Howe with 20 top 5 scoring finishes - i'm sure at least a few of them would end up below top 5 if he was playing in a 30 team league. So - make sure to add in a lot of context when you bring that up

I agree. I like to look at PPG dominance over a stretch a seasons as a way counter the league sizing.

More specific to this discussion is the idea that Hull and OV should only be compared on the goalscoring front.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Why are you sure of that? If Howe had played in a 30-team League in the 1950s, the other 24 years would have been comprised of minor-leaguers who couldn't make the NHL. Why would they be competing with Howe? All the best players in the world in the fifties were the pro-NHL players in the fifties.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's interesting how a thread on the "History" forum about a contemporary player goes to 14 pages and leads to discussion of Canadian fertility rates.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Why are you sure of that? If Howe had played in a 30-team League in the 1950s, the other 24 years would have been comprised of minor-leaguers who couldn't make the NHL. Why would they be competing with Howe? All the best players in the world in the fifties were the pro-NHL players in the fifties.

I am sure he means Howe in today's league. There is no denying that there is a statistical difference in finishing Top 5 in a six team league vs. a thirty team league given a reasonable presumption that the talent level of both leagues are similar. (Not a huge fan of the population/international players topic. I believe great talent rises to the top regardless.)

The average % that Howe finished behind the first place scorer in his non Art winning years is closer to a 5th to 10th place finish in today's league.

I.e. he was the equivalent of a Top Ten scorer for 20 years in a 30 team league.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I think you're twisting the point I was making. I agree with this - there wasn't 30 teams worth of NHL caliber players in the 50s - and if you add a bunch of less good players to make up 30 teams, Howe still dominates them.

What I was saying though - a top 5 point finish in 1954 is often less impressive than a top 5 point finish in....2014 might be. Because in 2014 - there are 30 teams, full of stars (not full of "minor leaguers who couldn't make the NHL" as you say) and so often if that same caliber season in 1953 was had in 2014 - odds are instead of finishing 5th in points, you finish closer to 10th or so.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think you're twisting the point I was making. I agree with this - there wasn't 30 teams worth of NHL caliber players in the 50s - and if you add a bunch of less good players to make up 30 teams, Howe still dominates them.

What I was saying though - a top 5 point finish in 1954 is often less impressive than a top 5 point finish in....2014 might be. Because in 2014 - there are 30 teams, full of stars (not full of "minor leaguers who couldn't make the NHL" as you say) and so often if that same caliber season in 1953 was had in 2014 - odds are instead of finishing 5th in points, you finish closer to 10th or so.
Okay, I see what you're saying.

But, isn't this kind of a wrong-headed way of thinking? You're suggesting we should judge a player of the 1950s by the standards of the 2010s.

So, in the future, are we going to diminish Ovechkin because there weren't any Chinese players in the NHL, as there will be in 50 years?

I think this is the wrong approach to take. Everything should stay in its era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad