Ovechkin just won his 9th Rocket. Does this change how you view him?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Still behind Hull, who won three Art Ross trophies and finished runner-up three more times. You could argue Ovechkin is a better goal scorer (not sure I agree) but there's no argument as to who was the better rounded offensive star.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
It won't change the view on him for a lot of people (see the few comments above mine). What people will need to wrap their head around is that he now has TWO more than Bobby Hull does. This is a record that may not be broken for 100 more years. Leading the league the most out of anyone in the hardest thing to do (and the most important) is one of the biggest accomplishments an NHL player could do.

And Ovi just padded that lead with his 9th.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Of course not.

I don't like Ovechkin's game very much, but he's certainly great at putting the puck in the net.

I hope he breaks the all-time goal-scoring record....it would be good for hockey. But I don't care that much.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
To me, he is the Cristiano Ronaldo of hockey. One-dimensional players who can score a lot of goals but provide little else especially as they have aged. Now, CR has proven to be a huge winner and leader, moreso than Ovi whose NT record is horrible while CR has a great one, but the parallel is still there. Crosby is still better, and so is Messi.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Still behind Hull, who won three Art Ross trophies and finished runner-up three more times. You could argue Ovechkin is a better goal scorer (not sure I agree) but there's no argument as to who was the better rounded offensive star.

Ovechkin led the NHL in PPG three times. What's the difference. Their resumes are virtually identical.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Ovechkin led the NHL in PPG three times. What's the difference. Their resumes are virtually identical.
The difference is that Hull was a better offensive player and a better defensive player. Ovechkin is primarily a goal scorer. There are some similarities of course.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yowzers. OV >>>> Hull. Ovechkin also had a punishing physical presence Hull never had. He’s not a one trick pony.

and it’s not even close, he’s a way better goal scorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRoseEh

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Yowzers. OV >>>> Hull. Ovechkin also had a punishing physical presence Hull never had. He’s not a one trick pony. It’s almost laughable you’re calling OV a one trick pony and Hull not.

and it’s not even close, he’s a way better goal scorer.
Because Hull was not a one trick pony. If you think that Ovechkin is a lot better than Hull and that it's not even close, then I'm the one laughing. Hull is widely regarded as either the second or third best winger ever. Ovechkin is still behind him and Jagr.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Because Hull was not a one trick pony. If you think that Ovechkin is a lot better than Hull and that it's not even close, then I'm the one laughing. Hull is widely regarded as either the second or third best winger ever. Ovechkin is still behind him and Jagr.
Jagr yeah. Hull no.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Not really. There's certainly nothing surprising about it.

If he had 1 less goal but 2 more assists, for example, I don't really think any sane person would think less of his legacy.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

In his era, Ovechkin has 53% more goals than any other player, more points than any other player, is top 10 in assists, and top 3 in hits.

So which of these things is the "one trick" in your opinion?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Do you have Ovechkin ranked in your top 10 all-time by any chance?
Without actually making a list, almost certainly not. But he will possibly end up the best goal scorer all time and a lock of the top 15, with a shot at eventually maybe 10.

Reactions: bobholly39

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Not really. If anything, I’d say a 48:19 ratio to David Pastrnak’s 48:47 and Leon Draisaitl’s 43:67 emphasizes that looking at goals and assists in isolation of each other is problematic.
I heard some kid named ross had an art project to fix this problem, i'm not sure how it turned out though hopefully it catches on in the future.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
In his era, Ovechkin has 53% more goals than any other player, more points than any other player, is top 10 in assists, and top 3 in hits.

So which of these things is the "one trick" in your opinion?
Hull also led the league in goals in the 60's by a wide margin. He finished top 10 in assists for the decade. He also finished fourth in shorthanded goals that decade. He scored 19 shorthanded goals in his career. Ovechkin doesn't kill penalties. He has 4 shorthanded goals in his career and 3 of those were in his first season. I understand the league has changed on who kills penalties, but this is what we have to work with. He's never been as good defensively as Hull. I know plus/minus can be overrated, but he's a -12 this season, despite playing on the top line of one of the best teams in the league.

I just don't see him better than Hull. I have Ovechkin right behind Hull as best LW in NHL history. Nothing wrong with that. Second best at your position is not a slight. If he keeps this up, he could pass him on my list.

I said 83 shorthanded goals for Bobby Hull. Not quite. :) He finished with 19. Still better than Ovie, though. I'm not saying Hull was Bob Gainey in his own zone, but Ovechkin is a low bar for two-way comparisons. He just floats too much defensively.

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Without actually making a list, almost certainly not. But he will possibly end up the best goal scorer all time and a lock of the top 15, with a shot at eventually maybe 10.
That would mean you have Bobby Hull outside your top 10 as well. We are talking about Bobby, not Brett, correct? Bobby Hull would have 800 goals easily if he didn't leave the NHL still in his prime.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I doubt it change much contemporary views, but legacy wise I imagine it will. It could create a player of the late 2020s/early 2030s are not much better than those of the mid 2000s one, if the current younger star are not demolished by them.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That would mean you have Bobby Hull outside your top 10 as well. We are talking about Bobby, not Brett, correct? Bobby Hull would have 800 goals easily if he didn't leave the NHL still in his prime.
Yes I have bobby Hull nowhere near top 10. Probably closer to 20 to 25. Brett Hull might crack top 100. Maybe.

And saying he would easily break 800 had he not gone to the WHA is not a sure thing at all. Yeah he put up lots of goals in the WHA but that’s against lesser players.
Ovechkin will certainly crack 800, and may pass Hulls totals including WHA goals.

his goals per game is certainly higher and goal paces will obviously decline in later years, so the fact that Hull didn’t really play in the NHL past his early 30s favours ovechkin even further.

conn Smythe and cup pretty much completed his resume. Art Rosses, hart trophies, most Richard trophies, he’s only behind Crosby of this last 15 years.

I feel like some people always favour older players because they get a legend status, and current players can’t really achieve that status.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->