Ovechkin is 31 now

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He could retire today and still be first ballot HOFer. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of totals he ends his career with.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
It'll be tough buy not that outrageous. Iginla is a clear tier down and so far has 237 goals from age 31-38 in the same era. He should probably put up another 20 this year. And maybe another 15-20 if he plays the following season. Could Ovechkin score 85-90 more goals than 31+ Iginla over 9-10 seasons? Maybe. Though who knows if he wants to stay in the NHL that long
I can tell you right now it takes a special freak of nature to want to stay in shape the way Iginla does, we are talking about a guy who does 2 a day workouts everyday during the summer, his idea of a relaxing day is a round of golf as the meat in a sandwich with the bread being 2 hour workouts. simply put he's obsessed with fitness that less than 1% of even professional athletes have. Having said that, I don't think Iginla plays after this season.

I have never met Ovechkin but he doesn't strike me as this type of freak. Mother Russia will be his home long before he's 39 or 40.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I can tell you right now it takes a special freak of nature to want to stay in shape the way Iginla does, we are talking about a guy who does 2 a day workouts everyday during the summer, his idea of a relaxing day is a round of golf as the meat in a sandwich with the bread being 2 hour workouts. simply put he's obsessed with fitness that less than 1% of even professional athletes have. Having said that, I don't think Iginla plays after this season.

Man I hope that isn't Ovechkin.

I hope he lives his life and does things that are fun while he is young and still can when he is not in the grind of the season. If that means he is gone from the NHL at the end of this contract then so be it.

Life is so damn short and the good years are even shorter.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I have never met Ovechkin but he doesn't strike me as this type of freak. Mother Russia will be his home long before he's 39 or 40.

Neither was Jar at this age. Ov is a serious man when it comes to sports. There is not a chance that he would ease off the gas knowing he has a chance at that record. That would be like Cal Ripken taking a game off after 1900

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If he has a healthy career and plays until his 40s he has a very good chance of breaking the record. As long as his shot from the top of the circle doesn't lose any velocity he'll have a job in the NHL.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Hope everyone here appreciates that they're watching the greatest goal scorer in history play in his prime.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Hope everyone here appreciates that they're watching the greatest goal scorer in history play in his prime.

His prime was over 5 years ago.

07-10 Ovi was him at his very best. He's been declining, and still hasn't even made it past the second round.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Love Ovie. Plain and simple. **** the rivalry, that Russian humor and immense skill that he and Malkin have graced us with, been a pleasure.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

It takes a special talent. Selanne was never as talented as Ovechkin, he managed to hit pretty hefty totals after his 32nd birthday. Maybe Ovechkin will too?

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013

07-10 Ovi was him at his very best. He's been declining, and still hasn't even made it past the second round.

That was his peak as a player. He's still in his prime as a goalscorer. He just came off his third straight season with 50+ goals and that's considered "declining"? Got it.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
That was his peak as a player. He's still in his prime as a goalscorer. He just came off his third straight season with 50+ goals and that's considered "declining"? Got it.

To be fair, he did set a pretty high bar. There's nowhere to go but down after a 65 goal campaign unless the game changes dramatically.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004

There are only two guys that have scored more goals than him by the age of 30. Can you guess who they are?

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

He went from a lock for 100 points to a 70 point player, yes he's declining.

You can still be great and declining at the same time.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I wonder if the caps don't win a cup near the end of his career a possible stacked team takes him and pulls a Ray Bourque.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He went from a lock for 100 points to a 70 point player, yes he's declining.

You can still be great and declining at the same time.

He declined from his three year peak, but has been roughly the same player for four years. That's not declining, it's plateauing, and still his prime. He's also a better goalscorer relative to the league than he was at his peak, which is what the thread, and the post in question was about.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
The amount of hate OV get's is insane. I can't help myself from laughing at comment's like, "he's 31 and has nothing to show for it". What a stupid ****ing comment.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

You can't be serious. Ovechkin works much harder than Iginla. You don't become by far the top goal scorer of the decade and a 50 goal scorer in a 40 goal league at over 30 years old without it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad