Ovechkin as a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I don't know how it was in Russia but in Finland we have had regular coverage since the 80's. First Stanley Cup champion I remember watching was the Flames in '89. I was a kid back then so couldn't stay up all night and had to record the games on VHS. I think back then we got maybe one game per week and all finals, or something like that. Of course the coverage was nothing like today but still better than nothing. And it was on free broadcast tv, unlike today.
Ye thats what im saying. One game per week, starting at the middle of the night. Not really easy to follow a team consistently at all, specially as a kid. I never watched NHL growing up and i had jerseys and favorite players but that was from watching a clip here and there and watching the olympics, not from watching NHL games consistently.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
His favorite team was the Sharks but that Sabres jacket was for Curtis Brown. How thrilled he must have been on March 9th, 2004.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’m sure this has been posted here before, but more Alexander Ovechkin kid stuff...

Reactions: TychoFan

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I heard his favorite team growing up was the Toronto Maple Leafs, and his favorite player was Auston Matthews.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Stereotypes are everywhere.

Americans are fat, lazy, love brazen patriotism and guns.
Canadians are boring, polite and love maple syrup.
Russians are stern, love knives, hate being the brunt of jokes and hate playing two way hockey.

Swedes are clean, nice, attractive people, who play two-way hockey
Norwegians all look like Mats Zuccarello

Reactions: Coffey

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I heard his favorite team growing up was the Toronto Maple Leafs, and his favorite player was Auston Matthews.
Rarely read about his excellent vision. This makes him defenitely better than Sid.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
You want to take a bet how long the same clear joke about the USA will be allowed to stand? Don't be ridic. You know exactly the difference. There is just a joke and a xenophobic one. It's common for this board to not notice the xenophobia if it goes the certain way.

There is "jokes" about Americans and Canadians all over the place, you just don't see them because it doesn't concern your own fragility.

You are too sensitive.

Reactions: Coffey

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Eh? I heard his favorited player was Taro Tsujimoto of the Tokyo Katana. Hence the Sabres jacket. Eh.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is "jokes" about Americans and Canadians all over the place, you just don't see them because it doesn't concern your own fragility.

You are too sensitive.
I am clearly not. You obviously don't want to admit there are no jokes about Russia here except for the racist and abusive ones. Quite telling about people making them. The jokes about US and Canada are way different here. Why? Because no joke of that other kind would be allowed. Believe me, there are tons of stereotypes about the US or/and Canada. Exploiting them for jokes or otherwise would just be remarkably stupid. If you want to protect that stupidity towards Russia and Rusdians - I'm fine with it. Just adds to some stereotypes that might be true after all

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I am clearly not. You obviously don't want to admit there are no jokes about Russia here except for the racist and abusive ones. Quite telling about people making them. The jokes about US and Canada are way different here. Why? Because no joke of that other kind would be allowed. Believe me, there are tons of stereotypes about the US or/and Canada. Exploiting them for jokes or otherwise would just be remarkably stupid. If you want to protect that stupidity towards Russia and Rusdians - I'm fine with it. Just adds to some stereotypes that might be true after all

If you ever manage to sneak in to a party, please wear a sign saying "Im Atas2000" so fun people don't waste their time.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
People are talking about the Buffalo Sabres paraphernalia he is wearing, the knife he is holding and stereotypes, but I think the focus should be on the outfit as a whole. Is he wearing a cowboy hat while holding a knife and wearing hockey branded stuff? It looks like a costume of sorts, is he dressed up as a Buffalo fan hat-wearing knife killer or something? So many questions.

Really though, more information about the picture here:
The story behind young Ovechkin's Sabres jacket

Ovi quote: "It was cold. My dad gave me that jacket. But you know my favorite team was San Jose. Back then we can't order, we can't buy stuff with the logo. If we have something, you wear it because back then, for me and for kids, they don't care if it's like a Detroit or Vancouver hat or T-shirt or jersey on you. You're so cold. You play hockey and you have a T-shirt or something with an NHL team logo."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad