Ovechkin as a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Was a huge Sabres fan. Alexander Mogilny I believe was his favorite player? Pretty cool picture.

ewOl51Z.jpg

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting photo. Ovie's 33 so Mogilny was a Sabre until 1995 when Ovie turned 10 so I can see that connection.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well I had Chicago Bulls t-shirt and shorts as a kid yet I had no idea about them other than that it's an NBA team somewhere across the pond. Life in the East block wasn't filled with choices back then so he might just have had that Sabres jacket because it was something cool and hockey related. Sure since Mogilny was there he probably knew something about the Sabres but it doesn't mean it was his favorite team or anything.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
lol It was a joke. Relax.

That’s definitely a stereotype. Easy euros can’t take a joke.
Aaand another stereotype.

The kind of the joke was pretty typical. Stereotyping. That's the point.

And if I here make those kind of jokes about North America and it's inhabitants it will probably cause a sh...storm.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV

And if I here make those kind of jokes about North America and it's inhabitants it will probably cause a sh...storm.
It's definitely a real stereotype. I'm polish and I know they can't take a joke lol

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I do recall him say that the Leafs was a team he did like or something like it will be a nice place to play because it's the biggest hockey market on the planet, and a huge spotlight on the team. this was back in 2006 or 2007, before he signed his first major contract. I remember he did mention Lemiuex as one of his favorite player a canadian player, and Crosby had a russian player as his favorite player.

but none the less that is a nice picture.

Reactions: nturn06

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

I'm Euro myself and you definitely need to learn how to relax man. You ALWAYS get super defensive if anyone ever says anything against Russia or Russians even if it is a clear joke.
Chill out dude

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I recall him telling me he was a Caps fans since the beginning :huh: saw him one time, asked for autograph and I asked him about this and he said Caps was his fav as a child :thumbu: he wouldn't lie to me:help:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont think americans understand how little coverage european countries had back then. Highly doubt he watched alot of NHL games growing up.

Anton13

Sep 3, 2012
Finland
I dont think americans understand how little coverage european countries had back then. Highly doubt he watched alot of NHL games growing up.

I don't know how it was in Russia but in Finland we have had regular coverage since the 80's. First Stanley Cup champion I remember watching was the Flames in '89. I was a kid back then so couldn't stay up all night and had to record the games on VHS. I think back then we got maybe one game per week and all finals, or something like that. Of course the coverage was nothing like today but still better than nothing. And it was on free broadcast tv, unlike today.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm Euro myself and you definitely need to learn how to relax man. You ALWAYS get super defensive if anyone ever says anything against Russia or Russians even if it is a clear joke.
Chill out dude
You want to take a bet how long the same clear joke about the USA will be allowed to stand? Don't be ridic. You know exactly the difference. There is just a joke and a xenophobic one. It's common for this board to not notice the xenophobia if it goes the certain way.

Reactions: rosenqvist

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Wait, I just assumed he was playing with a fake knife at a store. I didnt realize how bad Russia must have been back then - poor kid :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad