Confirmed with Link: Ovechkin 5x9.5m

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
That has always been my calc. He would play to 40. He gets 5 seasons. He needs an Ov season this season and a near Ov season the season after and its as good as done.
I'll be a little surprised if he plays all 5. Not that he wouldn't want to honor his deal but I wonder about his body breaking down. I'll worry about that later though. Can't wait for the upcoming season!

Reactions: Neil Racki

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't think he'll break the record by the end of this one but one final 1 year deal will sure have to be enough to close the lasting gap to the top.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'll be a little surprised if he plays all 5. Not that he wouldn't want to honor his deal but I wonder about his body breaking down. I'll worry about that later though. Can't wait for the upcoming season!

If he wants that record, he will play all 5. Reality is that he is a freak of nature. I wouldnt be shocked to find out that he has been effected by Soviet era bio engineering. I make no projects about him going forward. As he ages he adds things to his game. He doesn't need to now but at some point he is going to go to the net and stand there like Tomas Holmstrom and nobody will be able to move him. He could win a rocket as a garbage man.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That shot is always going to keep getting him goals. Just needs guys that can feed him as he gets slower. But as long as we have quality playmakers i do think he stands a realistic chance to break that goal record. His shot is just unstoppable and he's a very smart player who knows how to find that space to utilise that shot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He'll remain the turret on the PP but we've yet to see him transition fully to a net presence. He's been trying to wiggle free on the wing for like 16 years. Eventually he'll start parking it in front and looking for garbage. That'll be good for a few goals in the last year or two.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone,

Congratulations on the Extension News of your Legendary Captain!
7DE436FE-7166-4427-ACD1-2918BDD7DBDA.gif

I, like many other fans of the Game, will be cheering him on in his pursuit of Mr. Gretzky’s Record.

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying the summer with your families.
Cheers,
46056672-16DF-4EE9-B358-3DA3EFAA2B85.jpeg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t give a shit if he looks and plays like Reggie Dunlop at the end of this deal, this is great. He made hockey a thing here and delivered the franchise’s first ever Cup after 40 years and the District’s first sports title in three decades. He is the Washington Capitals and will go down as the best athlete is DC sports history. Oh, and we’ll get to watch him break 99’s goal scoring record. Welcome back #8.

Jun 15, 2007
Assuming you can't have both, would you rather see a second cup or Ovechkin get 896?

AK4774

Jul 27, 2021
Assuming you can't have both, would you rather see a second cup or Ovechkin get 896?

896 easily. Tampa just won cups back to back and they're practically a laughingstock for it. The Capitals first cup was special, but the storyline behind it matters more than the hardware.

896 is a once in a century achievement while a cup is awarded every year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad