Confirmed with Link: Ovechkin 5x9.5m

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We did the same for hank and it was PAINFUL the last 2 years we had him. It'd suck if the end of ovies career he's only talked about as one of the worst contracts in the league. It's just so damn near impossible to play as long as he has. A two year deal would have made it so if he drops off a bit then he could still get another 2 or 3 years, just at a lower AAV.

The man's a legend and a physical freak so I'm all in on him keeping up his ability and breaking the record. Hope it works that way
There is NO world in which this will ever be one of the worst contracts in the league.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We did the same for hank and it was PAINFUL the last 2 years we had him. It'd suck if the end of ovies career he's only talked about as one of the worst contracts in the league. It's just so damn near impossible to play as long as he has. A two year deal would have made it so if he drops off a bit then he could still get another 2 or 3 years, just at a lower AAV.

The man's a legend and a physical freak so I'm all in on him keeping up his ability and breaking the record. Hope it works that way

If he fades away into a situation like Hank, our team follows in the process so it doesn't really matter. Even then no real Caps fan is ever going to question overpaying him because of all he's done to save this franchise and deliver us the Cup. For an owner he's never going to be a bad contract because he's one of the most recognized players in the earth and hugely popular in both NA and Russia and will bring his value into the table elsewhere.

I don't think it's going to be a brutal contract on-ice either though.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I don't think anyone arguing caution against the 5 year deal wants Ovechkin to play less than five years or wants him to change to a different team. I don't want it to happen. I don't expect it to happen. I pray that it won't happen. But we're coming off a reality in which Zdeno Chara just played a season for the Capitals and it took an act of god to stop Henrik Lundqvist from playing for the Capitals. Patrick Marleau spent time in Toronto, and Thornton is there now. Daniel Alfredsson had that season in Detroit and Mats Sundin in Vancouver. I don't want to ever see Ovechkin in another NHL team's jersey, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

It comes down to where you see the franchise's priorities in 4 or 5 years. Is it chasing 894? Or is it chasing another Cup? For those who still hope for the "both" answer, a shorter deal with subsequent (presumably cheaper) extensions may have been the best answer. That's why you see some people thinking that 5 years is too long. If the franchise is hellbent on another Cup, the 5 year deal could even jeopardize the odds that Ovechkin remains a Capital. I doubt the franchise will go that route, but I can understand the logic of those who fear it. I suspect the last few years of Ovie's contract will be all about the 894 circus.
Get out with your sensible attitude, it's not welcome round here :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Hivemind

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Seriously. Little Ov is already scoring one timers.

f*** it makes time fly, the fact that the boy who was born AFTER the Cup win, is now playing hockey (sorta).

Also, maybe its the old goalie in me, but that keeper doesn't look too thrilled that he's forced to let in softies just so little Sergei can get some kiddo self esteem! :sarcasm:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
f*** it makes time fly, the fact that the boy who was born AFTER the Cup win, is now playing hockey (sorta).

Also, maybe its the old goalie in me, but that keeper doesn't look too thrilled that he's forced to let in softies just so little Sergei can get some kiddo self esteem! :sarcasm:

It appears the little guy is sleeping with his hockey stick

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I hope Ovi approaches the next season or two in the best possible shape - how many goals he scores in that period will likely determine if catching up with 99 is possible. Still, thrilled he’s sticking around for another five years.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I doubt that means anything for Ovi's future.

Not sure what you mean. Its been my view for a while that Ovechkin is going to take a management role and possibly ownership stake in the team when he has finished playing. That means he will continue to live in the US and work here. What happens with grown children, who knows.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Not to skunk things up, but I can't say that these quotes from the Post story this morning fill me with a burning desire to shell out money for seats for the next 5 years. Sure, I'd love to see Ovie break the record. But the sentiments below don't exactly scream "Team success is paramount; individual goals are secondary." To me, they scan closer to the opposite. Am I surprised? No. But I'm concerned that this is not how you structure a successful hockey organization

“That’s why I want to play five more years,” Ovechkin said. “To have a chance to catch the Great One, why not? If I’m going to be second, you know, it’s a pretty good number as well.”

Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, who was only slightly involved in these contract negotiations, said the franchise hopes both to win another Stanley Cup and for Ovechkin to surpass Gretzky, calling the pursuit a “joyride of a lifetime for the fans.” [NB - like I said, it would be nice. But it would not be the joyride of my lifetime] “That’s very motivating for the players, that’s very motivating for the organization and the fan base, and it’s important to the league,” Leonsis said. “You want to be able to have a great team in a big market with a once-in-a-generation player who has a chance to break a record that, to be honest, I thought was unbreakable. As you break that down, 33 goals a year and he’ll stay healthy, it is a doable achievement. It jazzes everybody up.”

But, as MacLellan said, there is more the organization needs to do to best help Ovechkin pursue that goal, including surrounding him with a strong-enough supporting cast. . . . “We need to have a good team for [Ovechkin] to accomplish his individual goals,” MacLellan said. “And I think trying to balance out those goals with winning a championship, I think we can do both at that $9.5 [million annual figure] and a five-year term.”

Reactions: 895

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not sure how Russian citizenship rules work, but its likely the kids could have dual citizenship and could elect to play for Team Russia, or ROC, OAR or whatever they will be called then... USSR? CCCP maybe?

Brett Hull had the choice. Canada or US. I dont know the rules where Russia is concerned

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They wont play for US 100%
Caps stake is up to Ted, I could believe in that.
Caps management is unlikely, because he will be busy being Sports Minister or smth in Moscow. Pretty easy choice where to live in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad