Ovechkin 2014-2015 under Trotz

Liberati0n*

I'm not sure if they'll bring back Forsythe and I think regardless there may be some changes to how the PP is implemented, and at least some bumps along the way. Ovechkin's ES production will go up, but his PP production down.

46G + 44A = 90P, +11

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
#8 3G (all shorthanded) + 213A = 216 PTS, +58 +/-, 507 blocked shots, 0 turnovers
#19 103G + 1A (secondary assist on Troy Brouwer empty net goal) = 104 PTS
#70 SV% 99,3 GAA 0,15

OV takes Hart, Selke, Conn Smyth
Nicky takes "Rocket" trophy
Holts takes Vezina

Stanley Cup final

Caps beat Pens 1-0 in Game 7 after 17 OT. Beagle scored the only goal

And I though I had high hopes thinking Penner would do well on the Caps..

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Then why did we finish in the bottom half of the league in 2010-11 and 2011-2012?

Because in addition to being incredibly static it was all about perimeter passing and shooting with no real threat near the net. In one of those years the PP had a hot streak early on (November?) and then went cold again. I analyzed video of PP goals from that streak and found that for almost every PP goal there were at least 2 players near the net, preferably one low and one high in the slot.

This was not so much by design but by accident, I believe, but I advocated this approach in various forums since it created massive problems for the goalie and the PKers. It was not adopted because I'm not in the game and the rest, including BB's tenure as a Caps coach, was history.

Oates or his assistant eventually adopted a similar strategy and surprise surprise, it worked.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Trotz coaches the team he is given, a team led by weber, suter, and rinne while having very little offense was going to have to be a defensive team. trotz said he will coach the team according to its strengths, which is offensively. i find it hard to believe he'll do much tinkering to the PP and give the best PP player in the world less ice time on the PP and move him to the front of the net (lol). and your right he should be moved back to LW, that was a terrible decision by oates to put him at RW and play him with players that can't hit empty nets. and i believe a big part of his defensive problems came from playing with 2 other poor defensive players while playing on the wrong side of the ice, i doubt trotz will make that same mistake.

Really? So share the roster moves that will be made. Or are you saying that we'll field the same roster as last season?

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Because in addition to being incredibly static it was all about perimeter passing and shooting with no real threat near the net. In one of those years the PP had a hot streak early on (November?) and then went cold again. I analyzed video of PP goals from that streak and found that for almost every PP goal there were at least 2 players near the net, preferably one low and one high in the slot.

This was not so much by design but by accident, I believe, but I advocated this approach in various forums since it created massive problems for the goalie and the PKers. It was not adopted because I'm not in the game and the rest, including BB's tenure as a Caps coach, was history.

Oates or his assistant eventually adopted a similar strategy and surprise surprise, it worked.

Poor D and G played a part, too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I doubt that any primary changes are coming to the power play. certainly not moving Ovechkin to the front of the net. Ovechkin is a shooter. Off the pass maybe the best shooter of his generation. Trotz is not going to turn him into Tim Kerr.

Once you put 8 on the left point, the rest is pretty easy. Backstrom as the primary passer with the puck has to be on the other side of the ice. You agree Backstrom will be on the first pp unit. yes? Trotz has already said Backstrom is the best all around player on the team.

He might stay Carlson and trade Green or go Green, but that doesn't change anything. He might go Brouwer or trade Brouwer but has Ward who he already likes for the slot spot. The 5th player can be Laich or Kuz or Grabs or Johansson or Wilson even.

All that is pretty easy to read and still you could have Green traded for futures and Brouwer traded for a top 4 stay at home.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
ovie at lw would be a good start, also team bonding and that stuff would be nice.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Poor D and G played a part, too.

Extremely subjective and can probably be said of almost any goal. Did you watch almost every PP goal during that period and then compare it to what the PP had become? Because I did and what I described was the main difference. We now have a season of effective use of the concept as proof that it works.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
This is a piece on Rick Nash, in which Ken Hitchcock talks about his work in getting Nash and, earlier, Modano to play a 200-foot game. Trotz will have to do something similar with Ovie in order for the Caps to succeed. I've bolded what I think are the key ideas:

http://nypost.com/2014/06/01/nashs-team-above-self-makes-all-the-difference-for-rangers/

Hitchcock said he benefited in communicating with Nash from his previous coaching experience in Dallas with Mike Modano, who adapted his explosive offensive style to incorporate defensive principles that became paramount during the Stars’ title run and the remainder of Modano’s career.

“I was lucky that I’d gone through it with Mo and was able to use that experience with Rick,†Hitchcock said. “It’s not about making an offensive player into a checker, it’s about changing a guy’s value system.

“What I would tell Mo and Rick was that the only way you can get the puck and create offense against good teams is to check and get it back,†said Hitchcock, an assistant coach on the three Canadian Olympic teams for which Nash played in 2006, 2010 and 2014. “You’ve got to be back on the puck if you want it; no good team you’re playing is going to give it you.

“Doing that changed Mo’s life and career. I threw Mo in Rick’s face so much I’m sure he got sick of it. But he bought in and so willingly and enthusiastically,†he said. “And you can se that he never loses sight of that value system.â€

ryan519*

I doubt that any primary changes are coming to the power play. certainly not moving Ovechkin to the front of the net. Ovechkin is a shooter. Off the pass maybe the best shooter of his generation. Trotz is not going to turn him into Tim Kerr.

Once you put 8 on the left point, the rest is pretty easy. Backstrom as the primary passer with the puck has to be on the other side of the ice. You agree Backstrom will be on the first pp unit. yes? Trotz has already said Backstrom is the best all around player on the team.

He might stay Carlson and trade Green or go Green, but that doesn't change anything. He might go Brouwer or trade Brouwer but has Ward who he already likes for the slot spot. The 5th player can be Laich or Kuz or Grabs or Johansson or Wilson even.

All that is pretty easy to read and still you could have Green traded for futures and Brouwer traded for a top 4 stay at home.

hopefully ward is placed in the slot position for the first PP unit. brouwer constantly fumbles perfect passes to him right in front of the net from backstrom. want to see more of plays like the one at 4:14 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhptmW4GT1A

beautiful

Liberati0n*

I like those Hitchcock quotes a lot. His view goes right along with what I said recently. You don't motivate Ovechkin to play defense, etc., through punishment, but by changing how he views himself and what he can do, and what playing defense can allow going the other way.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Yeah, Justin Bourne in one of his columns for "The Score" wrote about how when he was a young player and was mired in a slump, he might be tempted to cheat a bit and fly the zone early - but that he eventually figured out that you got more scoring chances by taking care of the defensive side of the ice because you not only ended up getting the puck more often, and you ended up getting it in a good position more often.

Too many Caps players view responsible defense as a zero-sum game that inevitably leads to a diminution in offensive. That doesn't have to be the case, you can end up getting more touches offensively, because you eliminate from your game all the times you cheat and strand the D and don't get the puck and stay bottled up in the O-zone - you know, most of last year for the Caps.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Great post Marcel and dead on. It's so simple. Teach Ovi he gets a bone if he plays defense. Hockey really is a simple sport.

Its tough to imagine players needing to be taught they will get more offensive chances if they do better defensively but here we are. Trotz has drained the pond and its time to start getting this team back to playing you know, NHL hockey.

We can easily make the playoffs as constructed, too. Yes, with Erskine as our 6/7. Getting rid of Oates > getting rid of Erskine. And likely McPhee, too.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
On the AO defense stuff the main thing I see him cheating is of the other team is grinding along wall work style in the Caps defensive zone he definitely is not going full effort trying to save some legs for an offensive push. Last couple years he's definitely improved coming back hard in transition when the other team is on the rush.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
#8 3G (all shorthanded) + 213A = 216 PTS, +58 +/-, 507 blocked shots, 0 turnovers
#19 103G + 1A (secondary assist on Troy Brouwer empty net goal) = 104 PTS
#70 SV% 99,3 GAA 0,15

OV takes Hart, Selke, Conn Smyth
Nicky takes "Rocket" trophy
Holts takes Vezina

Stanley Cup final

Caps beat Pens 1-0 in Game 7 after 17 OT. Beagle scored the only goal

beat me to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad