Ovechkin 2014-2015 under Trotz

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
After the embarrassment of Adam Oates, the Caps have made a significant change with their coaching staff and have named Barry Trotz their head coach.

Trotz is known for being a defensive minded coach, who preaches responsibility among his players. We all know Alex Ovechkin is an offensive oriented star who has played under a number of coaches with some different results. We've seen him let loose by Bourdeau, his ice time limited in the post-season by Hunter and we've seen him moved to RW by Oates.

Ovechkin feasted on the PP this season, often playing 2 minutes on the point. The Capitals allowed 10 SH goals however, and I imagine that is something Trotz will want to improve on. I could see him trying to get Ovechkin away from the blueline and closer to the net.

What do you think Trotz's approach will be to utilizing Ovechkin next season? And what kind of season do you expect from Ovechkin in numbers and play style?

My prediction? Ovechkin is put back on LW, plays much better 5 on 5, plays a bit less and more responsibility on the PP and picks up 80-95 points while playing a bit better in his own end.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Trotz coaches the team he is given, a team led by weber, suter, and rinne while having very little offense was going to have to be a defensive team. trotz said he will coach the team according to its strengths, which is offensively. i find it hard to believe he'll do much tinkering to the PP and give the best PP player in the world less ice time on the PP and move him to the front of the net (lol). and your right he should be moved back to LW, that was a terrible decision by oates to put him at RW and play him with players that can't hit empty nets. and i believe a big part of his defensive problems came from playing with 2 other poor defensive players while playing on the wrong side of the ice, i doubt trotz will make that same mistake.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
i find it hard to believe he'll do much tinkering to the PP and give the best PP player in the world less ice time on the PP and move him to the front of the net (lol)

What I mean is closer to the net, by the faceoff dots, not standing in the crease. It's harder to get one-timers there than it is from the point, but it would help negate the threat of SH goals and when he does get the puck the goalie probably won't even be able to see it before it passes him.

-Not sure why this thread was moved, but whatever.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
What I mean is closer to the net, by the faceoff dots, not standing in the crease. It's harder to get one-timers there than it is from the point, but it would help negate the threat of SH goals and when he does get the puck the goalie probably won't even be able to see it before it passes him.

The CAPS played more of an umbrella so Ovy wasn't really on the point anyway. He posted at the top of the left circle as you described already. That's why little is likely to change. 5 on 5 and general team D is what needs better players and structure.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
I see Ovi starting off slow like he did in AO's first season but there is no doubt in my mind he will be scoring a bunch of goals again, hopefully more 5v5 goals. Id say the 70-80 point range is where I see him but he could have more if Nicky and whoever else he plays with shoot the puck better to give Ovi more assists. Easiest thing to predict is that he wont be a minus player again

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
A lot of his minus was a combination of bad luck, a bad defensive system, poor goalie play at times, and just poor 5v5 offense. Highly unlikely he is in the minus again as he has only been a minus player 2 other times in his career. This past season was just strange

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Sorry for anyone who is honestly still asking this question..

But...

Hasn't this already been beat to ****ing death yet? Hasn't this topic been in some sort of conversation a million times on the main boards ? Jesus , What the ****.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I want to see what Trotz does when Ovi storming down LW is triple teamed once again

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

dont really recall him causing any short handed goals, i mean one or two probably but it was never a problem. and its funny you bring up ovechkin but not backstrom who is in the same position just on the opposite side.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Really? That is out of his control a lot more than his goal and point totals.

i think hes talking about coaching decisions. 3 defensive liabilities on 1 line probably won't happen under trotz, and players will be playing there natural positions this time.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I want to see what Trotz does when Ovi storming down LW is triple teamed once again

If he plays LW with the same mentality as he did the RW (less carry-ins by himself), he will be FAR better off.

Ovechkin was effectively neutralized with a single-team rather than a triple-team on the RW. It was so disappointing. :(

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
lulz! What ever side he plays on my hope is that playing a season and a half or so on the RW expanded AO's attack routine in transition.

In the WC Ovechkin was already looking more creative on the rush at LW. A move that stands out for me was when he did his power move between the legs drive. He left a drop pass where he useto just be pushed outside by a crew of defenders. Created a wide open shot and a good scoring chance.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ovechkin feasted on the PP this season, often playing 2 minutes on the point. The Capitals allowed 10 SH goals however, and I imagine that is something Trotz will want to improve on. I could see him trying to get Ovechkin away from the blueline and closer to the net.

Ovechkin played 0 minutes at the point and was rarely near the blueline. The Oates 1-3-1 only has one "point man" out there. Ovechkin was positioned at the left circle, and given freedom to roam up and down the left side to create open passing lanes.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Ovechkin played 0 minutes at the point and was rarely near the blueline. The Oates 1-3-1 only has one "point man" out there. Ovechkin was positioned at the left circle, and given freedom to roam up and down the left side to create open passing lanes.

I think he meant in terms of defensive responsibilities. Ovechkin had the responsibility of the left dman on the PP when push came to shove, and he was relating the SHGs to that.

I wouldn't touch the PP. Keep Forsythe, fire everybody else. Leave the PP alone.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Honestly, how complex was the PP really? It was insanely simple and it worked because of the talent we had.

You force teams to cheat onto Ovechkin and it opens up the point shot and middle of the Ice, you've also got a rebounder/blow off valve down low that can add more complex passing lanes. If they stop cheating on Ovi for even a second, you force it threw to him and he unleashes a Howitzer, more often then not into the back of the net.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Honestly, how complex was the PP really? It was insanely simple and it worked because of the talent we had.

You force teams to cheat onto Ovechkin and it opens up the point shot and middle of the Ice, you've also got a rebounder/blow off valve down low that can add more complex passing lanes. If they stop cheating on Ovi for even a second, you force it threw to him and he unleashes a Howitzer, more often then not into the back of the net.

Exactly. When you have Backstrom and Ovechkin, it doesn't have to be complex. I don't want some new complex PP implemented with a ton of movement when all you have to do is put one guy in the slot, Ovi in his spot, and have Backstrom control the puck for an automatic 22%+ PP.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Then why did we finish in the bottom half of the league in 2010-11 and 2011-2012?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If he plays LW with the same mentality as he did the RW (less carry-ins by himself), he will be FAR better off.

Ovechkin was effectively neutralized with a single-team rather than a triple-team on the RW. It was so disappointing. :(

His approach should be expanded from his lessons learned patrolling RW.

Back at left he has that quick move wide around the RD, and his patented cut inside and shoot. If that is successful, the triple team will be back on him like a fly on ****. Book it. RD LD Center.

But he never circles back on the half on his forehand and look to pass to a guy late, nor stays on the backhand around the net. Doesn't dump to the corner, and crush the RD. Rarely to never, a drop.

Nick sweating his arse off actually back checking next year, will be late on the rush. Hopefully it will be Ward over on his RW. Ward as his linemate... I still can't believe he hasn't gotten one shift there. One shift. He seems a perfect fit.

Is Trotz going to let him cherry pick? I don't think so, but that will keep him 1 on 1 vs that RD.

In the end, Ovi has to get his shots off or set up guys that are open as D's swarm to him. It's that simple.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
#8 3G (all shorthanded) + 213A = 216 PTS, +58 +/-, 507 blocked shots, 0 turnovers
#19 103G + 1A (secondary assist on Troy Brouwer empty net goal) = 104 PTS
#70 SV% 99,3 GAA 0,15

OV takes Hart, Selke, Conn Smyth
Nicky takes "Rocket" trophy
Holts takes Vezina

Stanley Cup final

Caps beat Pens 1-0 in Game 7 after 17 OT. Beagle scored the only goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad