Outdoor WJC Div-III game in Mexico City

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Always wondered why certain countries that are in fairly cold climates picked up other winter sports but not hockey. Many European countries and even Asian and South American countries are big on winter sports(Snowboarding, Skiing etc) but never play hockey. Especially countries that are in skating events.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Always wondered why certain countries that are in fairly cold climates picked up other winter sports but not hockey. Many European countries and even Asian and South American countries are big on winter sports(Snowboarding, Skiing etc) but never play hockey. Especially countries that are in skating events.

I watched the entire 2010 Olympics stumped as to why hockey isn't popular in the Netherlands.

Can't wait to see pics of this game. North Korea better hope they win a game, other wise Kim Jong Il will have new jobs for all of them in the coal mines.

mr faux pas

Oct 25, 2006
Mexico DF
OK, as a resident of Mexico City I'll attempt to provide some context here ...

The city government has put an ice rink in the central plaza, or zocalo, during the holiday season for a couple years running now. It's massively popular and attracts thousands and thousands of people (mostly non-skaters, I avoid this outdoor rink for that reason).

Mexico City, which is higher than Denver in altitude, is much cooler than Phoenix and probably Miami too. It's actually fairly chilly at night this time of year, although the sun warms things up during the day. I would say it's definitely easier to maintain an ice rink here than in most sun belt cities.

I don't think 50,000 will show up, but it's possible. People love to go to the free entertainment in the Zocalo. I'd guess maybe 50,000 filter in and out during the game, but I doubt it's 50,000 all at once watching the game. Since the plaza is totally flat, it'll be hard to watch the game for most people. (Unless they put up bleachers or something which I imagine is a possibility).

Here are some photos/stories about the Mexico City outdoor rink:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2008/12/4/121733/664/travel/World's+Largest+Ice+Rink+Now+Open+In+Mexico

http://mexicomonitor.blogspot.com/2007/12/holiday-on-ice-in-mexico-city.html

Also, I didn't know about this so thanks for the post. Maybe I'll try to make it.

StoneColdFlower*

This Sunday the Division III World Junior tournament starts in Mexico City. Participating teams include Bulgaria, Mexico, New Zealand, North Korea, Serbia, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), and Turkey. Obviously no major hockey powers there, and an otherwise non-notable tournament.

Except the opening game Sunday night will be a first for a World Junior tournament, in any division. Mexico is playing Bulgaria on an outdoor rink; with free admisison, organisers expect up to 50,000 people to show up.

Of note is that the average temperature for Mexico City in January is 23°C (73°F) during the day and 9°C(48°F) at night. Some would argue that it is way to warm to have an outdoor game, and that ice probably wouldn't work there. However, the Plaza de la Constitución, also known as Zócalo, has had an ice rink built there several times, one that measures 240 by 240 metres (800x800 feet).

So the success of this game should make the NHL consider the possibility of a Winter Classic in a southern US market. After all if Mexico City can host one, Miami or Phoenix should be able top.

IIHF article about the event

NO, NO, TEN THOUSANDS TIME NO. Hockey belongs in the snow belt, not in the Bible Belt.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
http://www.ohahockey.org/news_article/show/72728?referrer_id=12829-news

The LaSalle Vipers (a Jr. B team from around Windsor) took a trip to Mexico and played their under 20 team. LaSalle won the first game 9-2, the second game got canceled because of poor rink conditions.

The Vipers players made their organization and the association proud in their first game on December 16th when they defeated Team Mexico by the score of 9-2. The game, dubbed “Canada Nightâ€, was sold out weeks in advance. Fans lined up outside of the arena hours prior to puck drop and the entire Arena was decorated in Canada Flags. After the game the Vipers players were met by over 1000 fans, they made sure to sign autographs for each and every one of them.

Autographs from Junior B players ?! :laugh:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The Vipers players made their organization and the association proud in their first game on December 16th when they defeated Team Mexico by the score of 9-2. The game, dubbed “Canada Night”, was sold out weeks in advance. Fans lined up outside of the arena hours prior to puck drop and the entire Arena was decorated in Canada Flags. After the game the Vipers players were met by over 1000 fans, they made sure to sign autographs for each and every one of them.

Autographs from Junior B players ?! :laugh:

As half mexican and understanding who they are and specially what boils in their blood, I can tell you that if you want to make money in hockey ... the next BIG thing is to buy a NHL team and settle in Mexico DF !!

Here in Europe i saw a town turning from soccer into hockey ! finally their is place for both ... but it is amazing the hype hockey can get with latinos fans !

Go Ghockey Go

SerbianHabs

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow,Russia
holy balls

I want to see footage from this game.

I will eat my keyboard if 50,000 people show up.

Yeah that is incredible.

But this was jaw dropping at the last World Championships
77,802 people :amazed:
ept_sports_nhl_experts-905786841-1273270106.jpg

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Having watch some of match, Mexico looks pretty good though they seem to love taking slap shots way too much. They ruin their own scoring chances but they do seem to move the puck well. Couple nice checks and a wonderful save on the breakaway.

Bulgaria seems in worse shape (and final score/shots shows this) but they need help exiting the zone, they seem to alway throw puck back to Mexico instead of breaking out.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
http://www.ohahockey.org/news_article/show/72728?referrer_id=12829-news

The LaSalle Vipers (a Jr. B team from around Windsor) took a trip to Mexico and played their under 20 team. LaSalle won the first game 9-2, the second game got canceled because of poor rink conditions.

I watched a little on justintv, and I have to rethink my position about playing them in an exhibition game. I think the score would be in the 40's, or maybe even higher.

I would say that most small-town, club senior hockey teams in Canada would beat those teams pretty easily, let alone an all-star junior team.

I think that Junior B team must have eased up. Junior B is nothing special, I admit, but still...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting look with all the lights and such. A lot of the people had jackets on, so it must be cooler out. Mexico City is high elevation, so it's less humid than it would be in southern NHL markets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad