Outdoor WJC Div-III game in Mexico City

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
This Sunday the Division III World Junior tournament starts in Mexico City. Participating teams include Bulgaria, Mexico, New Zealand, North Korea, Serbia, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), and Turkey. Obviously no major hockey powers there, and an otherwise non-notable tournament.

Except the opening game Sunday night will be a first for a World Junior tournament, in any division. Mexico is playing Bulgaria on an outdoor rink; with free admisison, organisers expect up to 50,000 people to show up.

Of note is that the average temperature for Mexico City in January is 23°C (73°F) during the day and 9°C(48°F) at night. Some would argue that it is way to warm to have an outdoor game, and that ice probably wouldn't work there. However, the Plaza de la Constitución, also known as Zócalo, has had an ice rink built there several times, one that measures 240 by 240 metres (800x800 feet).

So the success of this game should make the NHL consider the possibility of a Winter Classic in a southern US market. After all if Mexico City can host one, Miami or Phoenix should be able to.

IIHF article about the event

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
This Sunday the Division III World Junior tournament starts in Mexico City. Participating teams include Bulgaria, Mexico, New Zealand, North Korea, Serbia, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), and Turkey. Obviously no major hockey powers there, and an otherwise non-notable tournament.

Except the opening game Sunday night will be a first for a World Junior tournament, in any division. Mexico is playing Bulgaria on an outdoor rink; with free admisison, organisers expect up to 50,000 people to show up.

Of note is that the average temperature for Mexico City in January is 23°C (73°F) during the day and 9°C(48°F) at night. Some would argue that it is way to warm to have an outdoor game, and that ice probably wouldn't work there. However, the Plaza de la Constitución, also known as Zócalo, has had an ice rink built there several times, one that measures 240 by 240 metres (800x800 feet).

So the success of this game should make the NHL consider the possibility of a Winter Classic in a southern US market. After all if Mexico City can host one, Miami or Phoenix should be able to.

That's pretty awesome.

I wish we could play Mexico one game. I'd like to see how that would turn out. I'm serious - just to see where they are in terms of ability.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com

IIRC, an outdoor rink was built in Vegas for an exhibition game one year. As long as you're not trying to play on a day where it's 110 degrees, or in a location where there's 90 degrees and 90% humidity at game time, it should work from a technical standpoint.

It's the ambience of playing outside in the cold and the snow that is the main appeal, though, I think.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
IIRC, an outdoor rink was built in Vegas for an exhibition game one year. As long as you're not trying to play on a day where it's 110 degrees, or in a location where there's 90 degrees and 90% humidity at game time, it should work from a technical standpoint.

It's the ambience of playing outside in the cold and the snow that is the main appeal, though, I think.

While that is true, Mexico City kind of lacks that so as the article says:

Opening game played between Aztec pyramids, the Cathedral, and the National Palace.

Should still be good ambience.

Also going to be broadcast live in Mexico and throughout Latin America, including Argentina, Brazil and Chile.

alexthekidd

Nov 18, 2008
London
Despite the quality of the sides involved, it's interesting to note that New Zealand is carrying six '94 born players.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Yeah, we definitely need video of this. The picture of the rink in the IIHF story looks pretty spectacular.

Bulgarians better be in good shape, though. What's the elevation there, something like 7000 feet?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
With the garbage that Sportsnet 1 seems to carry these days (I mean 6 month old World Team Tennis games?) I would hope they would consider broadcasting this game. I'd love to see it.

Heck, if no sports channel will carry it, why not TeleLatino? I hope the IIHF realizes that this is generating some interest here. I'm assuming they'll stream it.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON

Wait what?

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
I love going on the IIHF websites and looking at the results for the lowest level of competition and seeing teams from countries one would not think of as capable of playing hockey. There are some member countries whose total registered players doesn't go much beyond those playing for their 'national' team...

It's also interesting to look at some of their uniforms. Greece, Israel and Australia have some nice ones...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If 50,000 people are willing to turn up to see Mexico vs Bulgaria then that is a huge kudos to them. North Korea will be interesting to watch.

MugenSilverSiR

Jun 30, 2008
That's awesome. I wish I could be there to be part of that festivities! It's amazing to see where hockey is nowadays.

The coolest game on earth!

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad