Pre-Game Talk: Outdoor Game 2017 OTT-MTL

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
You're confusing this game with the actual NHL game. The Sens alumni game is irrelevant to a larger audience

Sportsnet is showing an international Rugby Club match tonight at 7:00, while TSN2 is broadcasting "Ultimate Fighter". Pretty sure both networks would have more viewers nationally for an alumni hockey game with the backdrop of the Parliament Building even if those viewers just came from the Ottawa area alone. Both networks have a combined 11 stations, gotta believe that having one of those 11 broadcast this game would be a smart business decision.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
You're confusing this game with the actual NHL game. The Sens alumni game is irrelevant to a larger audience

Not confusing them at all actually, local population exceeds 1 million...for arguments sake half won't have access, doesn't seem like the best practice for a team that cannot currently sell out its building, I would say any positive promotion helps.

As pointed out above, they have nothing else going tonight on SN/TSN

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sportsnet is showing an international Rugby Club match tonight at 7:00, while TSN2 is broadcasting "Ultimate Fighter". Pretty sure both networks would have more viewers nationally for an alumni hockey game with the backdrop of the Parliament Building even if those viewers just came from the Ottawa area alone. Both networks have a combined 11 stations, gotta believe that having one of those 11 broadcast this game would be a smart business decision.

Plus, as we saw during the Rangers/Sens game, they have a bunch of broadcasting equipment set up on the Hill. Seems incredibly odd not to have the game on any of the channels.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sportsnet is showing an international Rugby Club match tonight at 7:00, while TSN2 is broadcasting "Ultimate Fighter". Pretty sure both networks would have more viewers nationally for an alumni hockey game with the backdrop of the Parliament Building even if those viewers just came from the Ottawa area alone. Both networks have a combined 11 stations, gotta beliewove that having one of those 11 broadcast this game would be a smart business decision.
I forgot you know everything about radio and TV

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

This is ****ing dumb and that player needs to be doxxed.

We weren't in the dressing room. We don't know what happened.

Maybe the player said it to Scott in confidence.

I think the tweet is a little unnecessary. I have more issues with that and the timing of it (really, the day of the Alumni game?) than the sentiment.

I wouldn't mind if Scott could provide insight into why the Leafs always got their asses kicked in the playoffs immediately after playing the Sens.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Just looking to create some controversy I guess.

On that topic, while I certainly don't have any lost love for Yashin, I hope the fans don't boo him or anything. Time to be celebrate the franchise and he wants to be here, let's not repeat the terribly embarassing booing of Gonchar in first home game for us back in 2011-2012. That was awful stuff.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My buddy said CBC is covering the alumni game tonight. Anyone can confirm this?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We weren't in the dressing room. We don't know what happened.

Maybe the player said it to Scott in confidence.

I think the tweet is a little unnecessary. I have more issues with that and the timing of it (really, the day of the Alumni game?) than the sentiment.

I wouldn't mind if Scott could provide insight into why the Leafs always got their asses kicked in the playoffs immediately after playing the Sens.

Tucker said it best when Alfie retired: the Leafs had the better goaltending and even then, usually took them everything they had to beat us.

Results were (very) one-sided but it was a closer rivalry than people give it credit for.

Reactions: NyQuil

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

CBC always covers the Alumni Games.

I'm sure tonight will be no different. It's a good test run for them too - cameras, lighting, outdoor broadcast conditions, etc.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
CBC always covers the Alumni Games.

I'm sure tonight will be no different. It's a good test run for them too - cameras, lighting, outdoor broadcast conditions, etc.

Like was previously mentioned, seems crazy to have that set up with no larger broadcast....Tim and Sid did there thing for hours last night there and come the actual alumni game with the backdrop they're just gonna shut it down...?

Reactions: Tak7

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Tucker said it best when Alfie retired: the Leafs had the better goaltending and even then, usually took them everything they had to beat us.

Results were (very) one-sided but it was a closer rivalry than people give it credit for.
I don't want to darken the occasion by pointing fingers, but Tucker wasn't lying. Even the year they got swept, the Senators carried the play in all four games. Leafs shots went in, Sens' stayed out.

Reactions: DrEasy

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

It is mean spirited and dumb, but then it 's a tweet by Scott MacArthur.
After all, how many of those series against Toronto included Yashin?

It was a happy day when those two tiresome Leaf fans, Scott MacArthur and Mike Eastman were pulled off the Sens broadcasts.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Would love to see Daigle and Hossa playing too. Heatley would have probably be the best out there out of everyone, the whiskey in his front pocket will keep him warm and his one T hard.

Daigle is gonna be there, no?

Some retired/Inactive guys I would've loved to see:

McEachern
Heatley
Schaefer
Emery
Volchenkov(playing in the KHL so probably impossible)
Hasek
Prospal

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Isn’t the alumni game at these events usually team versus team, i.e. Sens Alum against Habs Alum? Anyone know why they deviated this time?

Sorry of this has been covered.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hossa?

Scott MacArthur is classless. There is a time and a place for that comment. Guy is coming back and it takes huge stones for him to do so. What a dik.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Isn’t the alumni game at these events usually team versus team, i.e. Sens Alum against Habs Alum? Anyone know why they deviated this time?

Sorry of this has been covered.
I'm guessing so many guys wanted to come back (34 or 35) that this is the only way they could use them all. You don't want to invite guys back and then cut them. That would be rude.
I hope the Sens put this game up on their site or on You Tube. I don't get Rogers 22. I agree it's a much better TV attraction than what a couple of the sports channels are running at that time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad