Out of Town - Washington Capitals Stanley Cup Champions! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's fun to read Leafs fans comments on Sportsnet, they think it's all part of the same conspiracy, that they got free players from other teams, that it is a setup by NHL and Bettman to sell hockey in the US, that the refs were against the Leafs because a US team has to win. The free players thing can be heard from other teams fans as well all forgetting that their own GMs and teams got paid by Vegas splitting the 500 millions among the 30 teams.

Reactions: groovejuice

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Poile on Subban in answer to LeBrun on Norris Balloting for the Athletic:

POILE (smiling): Well we get asked that question a lot, and I don’t think it serves us any purpose to answer that. We are blessed with a top-four defence and actually have been for a number of years, and it’s changed from Ryan Suter and Shea Weber, even a young Seth Jones whom everybody saw was getting there, so you’re right, it would not serve me any purpose to answer that question. All of our guys do something that I think really helps us win. I think all our top-four could be top-two with any other team. Ryan Ellis missed 20 games. If you look at what our record was with Ryan Ellis back in the lineup then you’d have to put some good credence that maybe he was the difference. P.K. (Subban) is the guy that got the Norris Trophy (finalist) nod this year, he almost led our entire team in scoring. And, I think it’s been recognized now probably more with Nashville than it was with Montreal, but he’s actually been recognized as being a more complete defenceman and his defensive game, which maybe was criticized a little bit in Montreal. If you talk to our players and specifically our coach, they applaud his game. Then we have Mattias Ekholm who doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, but he plays in all situations and actually we drafted him as an offensive defenceman but he doesn’t get to play the power play. But we know that he can. And Roman Josi has been top 10 in Norris Trophy voting the last couple of years; him and P.K. play the biggest minutes on our team. He’s a world-class player that any team would want. So it’s a good question, and I will not answer it (laughs).

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
This team is just crazy McPhee is a genius...

Or... maybe the other GMs are dumb?

Seriously, just wait for the next expansion. The GMs will just protect their key players and wont do any deal with Seattle.

But then again, someone could argue that there's untapped potential out there and it comes out with the expansion.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
If this had been another era, the game would remain interesting for other reasons. The era of line brawls would have never allowed the kind of passive, lackluster response the Sharks are providing right now.
Yep, sometimes I wonder if this game is still played by men. Just a bunch of millennial hipsters, metros and euroweenies now. Get rid of the instigator rule and let's see some action, ffs!

Yes, I attended the Good Friday game against the Nords in 84. Greatest game I ever saw live.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Vegas is going to win the cup. Holy ****.
Why? Because they're blowing out a notorious playoff choker team like the Sharks? That's like saying the Penguins will win because they came back to beat the Capitals, who also have a well-earned reputation for coming up small in big games.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yep, sometimes I wonder if this game is still played by men. Just a bunch of millennial hipsters, metros and euroweenies now. Get rid of the instigator rule and let's see some action, ffs!

Yes, I attended the Good Friday game against the Nords in 84. Greatest game I ever saw live.

Come on, that game was kind of a disgrace when you look at it with a little bit of historical hindsight.

I mean, it was something (at the time, I remember it too). But it's like leaded fuel and asbestos... the world moved on, for the best.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Come on, that game was kind of a disgrace when you look at it with a little bit of historical hindsight.

I mean, it was something (at the time, I remember it too), but it's like leaded fuel and asbestos... the world moved on, for the best.
It would have only been a disgrace had we lost. The brawl started at the end of the second period with Quebec up 1-0. During the melee, Sleigher knocked out Hamel with a sucker punch that ended Hamel's career. When the teams came out to start the third all hell broke loose. When order was finally restored the Nordiques scored again to make it 2-0. Then the Habs pumped 5 goals past Daniel Bouchard to end the series. It was freakin' awesome.

And after the game people had an impromptu parade in front of the Forum to celebrate because they loved to hate the Nordiques.

And that, my friends, is what is sorely missing from the game today: hatred. Nobody really hates anyone else anymore. But hate makes it great. Hate is the spice that is missing from today's game. Too much player movement which leads to more fraternization. Now instead of viewing your opponent as a stranger who is trying to break into your house and steal something from you, he's your off-season golf buddy or training partner. The game is more exciting when it's played with some "malice aforethought".

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It would have only been a disgrace had we lost. The brawl started at the end of the second period with Quebec up 1-0. During the melee, Sleigher knocked out Hamel with a sucker punch that ended Hamel's career. When the teams came out to start the third all hell broke loose. When order was finally restored the Nordiques scored again to make it 2-0. Then the Habs pumped 5 goals past Daniel Bouchard to end the series. It was freakin' awesome.

And after the game people had an impromptu parade in front of the Forum to celebrate because they loved to hate the Nordiques.

And that, my friends, is what is sorely missing from the game today: hatred. Nobody really hates anyone else anymore. But hate makes it great. Hate is the spice that is missing from today's game. Too much player movement which leads to more fraternization. Now instead of viewing your opponent as a stranger who is trying to break into your house and steal something from you, he's your off-season golf buddy or training partner. The game is more exciting when it's played with some "malice aforethought".

So... are you OK with leaded fuel in your gas tank and asbestos in your house?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
No, but I'm fine with getting rid of the instigator rule and bringing back some sorely needed mayhem into the game.

Let's get this straight.

You're OK with the risks, as long as they apply to some guys who do it for a living, but not you?

Would you be willing to work your ass out for a decade and a half to make it to the big league as a bottom of the barrel player just to go out on the rink for 40 games and get punched in the face so that I can laugh at you falling down because I don't come from the same city?

If you want to see guys getting punched in the face, there's always MMA and boxing. Which I enjoy a lot. And they do enforce stricter rules because of concussions, by the way.

My point is simple: fighting is getting phased out of hockey, wether you like it or not. It's just how the times go.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

The hatred was more politically and socially fuelled than mere sports. I remember the game too and although it was exciting to watch, especially the third, looking back today, I don't wish to go back there. If you compare that game with let's say the New-Years eve game against Russia, I'll take the latter.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I know that fighting is being phased out and I also know that I don't have to like it and I don't, at least not the phasing out of spontaneous, heat of the moment fighting (I can easily live without staged bouts between designated enforcers who fight one-man proxy wars for their teammates)

And whether I'm okay with the risks or not isn't the issue because I'm just a spectator. As long as the participants are okay with taking those risks then it's all good. This is the big issue with regard to concussions in pro sports. The only problem that sports leagues are having from a legal standpoint is that they are trying to pretend that the risk isn't real. It is real but as long as the participants give their informed consent then that's that, in my opinion. If a player is aware of the risk and decides to pursue the opportunity anyway then he should be free to make that choice. People join the armed forces in full knowledge and acceptance of the fact that they may be sent into a war zone, be put into mortal danger and perhaps killed. They still volunteer. It's no different for sports. You can poll every pro football and hockey player out there and inform them of the risks. 99.9% of them are still going to do the exact thing they would have done had they not known. Liability on the part of the league should be waived once the player acknowledges and accepts the risks of participation.

I don't require fights to break out every 5 minutes nor do I favor any sort of staged battles. But when things get crazy in the heat of a fiercely-contested playoff game some people need to get punched in the face. On April 20th, 1984, Louis Sleigher needed to get punched in the face. Repeatedly. Dale Hunter needed to get punched in the face. Wilf Paiement needed to get punched in the face. Paul Gillis needed to get punched in the face. Randy Moller needed to get punched in the face. Pat Price needed to get punched in the face.

On that night, they all got what was coming to them. Life rarely gives you that type of complete closure. It's a wonderful feeling when it actually happens.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The NFL features guys literally smashing into each other every play and it almost never results in fighting.

Fighting happens in hockey because of the out dated culture of it which needs to change.

I may hate the Penguins but their success playing an offensive up tempo style reliant on pressure has helped the game more than anything in a long time. Chicago as well.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
The NFL features guys literally smashing into each other every play and it almost never results in fighting.

Fighting happens in hockey because of the out dated culture of it which needs to change.

I may hate the Penguins but their success playing an offensive up tempo style reliant on pressure has helped the game more than anything in a long time. Chicago as well.

Fighting is not out dated. When theres a problem between 2 people its much better to let them resolve the issue between them selfs.

Its alot more healthy and natural.

Whats stupid is when a guy like Laraque wishes good luck to his opponent before fighting. That type of arranged fighthing is quite pointless and stupid.

Reactions: Laurentide

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Fighting is not out dated. When theres a problem between 2 people its much better to let them resolve the issue between them selfs.

Its alot more healthy and natural.

Whats stupid is when a guy like Laraque wishes good luck to his opponent before fighting. That type of arranged fighthing is quite pointless and stupid.

Not sure if serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad