Out of Town V Again out our town playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hasn't been good enough this series.

Averaging a bad goal once per game.

He doesn't give up one every game, he'll just give up two bad ones to make up for it in the next game.

Greiss is a scrub, Luongo shouldn't be getting outplayed by him. I've said since 2006 that Greiss might not even good enough to be Team Germany's starting goaltender, and Team Germany don't have much to choose from as far as NHL goaltenders go these days.

This is why Luongo doesn't get respect...his meltdown in the 2011 Cup Finals, his meltdown(s) against the Hawks earlier as a Nucks goalie. I like the dude but he's come up small too often in the playoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hopefully Tampa takes 'em out if it comes to it, remember the Isles are in the other bracket.

I was thinking if it came down to the ECF.

I think NYB beats Tampa, but I'm not positive. Detroit is the weakest team in the Eastern conference playoffs, outside of Philly. And they put out Jimmy Howard for 2 games, which makes them almost as bad as Philly with Mason this series.

Florida is a disappointing team. Hope they enjoyed their trip to New York and practicing in Newark yesterday. I'm pretty confident this will be their last trip up there until at least October, if they lose tonight's game.

They can't score, when they do score, they lose the lead faster than you can take a bathroom break. Any given shot towards the cross bar on the short side can go in on Luongo. Can't score on a guy that I gave a nickname that's named after the German expletive for fecal matter.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
This is why Luongo doesn't get respect...his meltdown in the 2011 Cup Finals, his meltdown(s) against the Hawks earlier as a Nucks goalie. I like the dude but he's come up small too often in the playoffs.

And that vancouver team won the presidents Trophy by a big margin. They were in general a good team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And that vancouver team won the presidents Trophy by a big margin. They were in general a good team.

That was his only real good playoffs too, until the last five games of the Finals anyway.

Actually he was good in 2006-07 too even though they only won a round...but that's going back a ways.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I used to hate Luongo in the early 2000's, back when he was the largest equipment wearing goalie in the history of the game up to that point.

Now he's just the size of your average NHL goaltender, smaller equipment than a lot of them these days. But after the BS Cory has gone through here, I can really sympathize with Luongo's Panthers days from his first tenure. Terrible win/loss record, absolutely the best goaltender in the league after Marty in the 00's decade. Not counting Henrik or Roy, as they didn't play the entire decade. Neither did Hasek.

But some of the time he's been meh in these playoff games. I think he was fine last game and in game 2 he was amazing. His team has a hard time scoring on some bum, but he could have stopped the Tavares goal.

Not a BRUTAL softy like the Mason goal or anything, or even some of Mason's goals against last game. But absolutely stoppable.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Or was that a different year? Canucks won the presidents trophy 2 times in a row.

No you were correct, they DID almost blow a 3-0 lead the year they went to the Finals, they had to win a Game 7 in OT.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't they almost squander a 3-0 series lead to Chicago? I remember the overtiime game 7 Burrows scored.

Or was that a different year? Canucks won the presidents trophy 2 times in a row.

They won the Presidents Trophy two years in a row. 2011 and 2012. First year was when they almost blew the 3-0 lead to the Hawks and wound up going to the finals.

Second year was the next season. When they went out to LAK in 5 games, same year we lost to them in the SCF. Luongo was benched after game 2, then AV started Schneider the next 3 games. Schneider played amazing, but the Canucks gave us a preview of what some of Schneider's Devils games would look like a couple years later with the horrific goal support.

And the Kings won game 5 in OT, and we all know how they have the reverse OT record in the playoffs in the last 5 years that Marty and the Devils had in playoff OT over 20 years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And Luongo in this series is really displaying the negativity of butterfly goaltending. Drops to his knees way early on every shot.

Greiss dropped down in game 1 on that Reilly goal before a 35 footer wrister even made contact with the shooters stick and Reilly scored. Must have been trying to demonstrate he could drop down too early too.:laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Awful job by Wash tonight.

I knew they wouldn't sweep Philly but they will wish they would have put them away tonight to rest bumps and bruises.

I could see Philly taking game 5 too which would then put unneccesary pressure and chance of injury on Wash.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If they had put Philly away in 4 people'd be complaining they'd get too rusty for the next series :P

Just end it in Washington.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hasn't Greiss made the most saves so far these playoffs?

Wouldn't surprise me.

But I don't think he's this good, he's had a career year. He stunk for the Pens last year, he faded down the stretch for the Yotes when Smith was injured the year before.

He wasn't that good as a Sharks backup, one year he was even sent back to Europe and they signed Nittymaki to back up Niemi. He's really not that good. I've been a detractor of his since he was a prospect. I had more faith in Stalock than him, though Stalock is now a wash out.

I remember Greiss got his first start in the league against the Devils back in 07-08. Nabokov was injured and he had to start. He played in relief the game before, but had never started. The Sharks lost to us that night all because of him. Every goal was horrific and I think it was Sergei Brylin's last goal ever in the NHL.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Butch Goring makes me sick. Seriously can't stand him. He's such a homer. Such a stupid comment to make over what was clearly a nasty slash. And now he's crying about a dive. Seriously, **** off.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Butch Goring makes me sick. Seriously can't stand him. He's such a homer.

The Islanders make me sick. **** them all!

And I know some of you are a little paranoid, but if Washington blew this series to Philly after being up 3 games to 0, it would be the worst choke job in this history of the NHL. One of the worst in the history of any sport that has a best of 7 playoff format.

It would be way worse than any chokejob during the Boudreau Caps years, combined with all the Rangers chokejobs they've pulled over the years, combined with the Bruins chokejob to the Flyers in 2011, Sharks to the Kings in 2014.

It would be a monumental collapse that isn't even seen once in a lifetime. Once every 4 or 5 lifetimes. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thomas Greiss sighting!

That's the Thomas Greiss I know, letting in a terrible and leaky point shot goal through his 7 hole.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still don't trust the Panthers, they hold leads about as well as the Devils did in October-December of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad