Out of Town Thread Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Still a ton of RFA's without deals?

Any theories as to why teams are making them wait? Who gets their deal first? Marner? Laine? Connor? The list goes on and on...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Any theories as to why teams are making them wait? Who gets their deal first? Marner? Laine? Connor? The list goes on and on...

I think the PA is monitoring the situation. They want to make sure the first player to sign sets the bar high enough for the others.

Reactions: BLONG7

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

The way I see it the team and the player don't want to go into the year without a deal and what's happening is simply a game of chicken.

Players don't want to be the first to sign and have the contract be too low compared to market, and teams don't want to be the first to sign and set a new high bar for RFAs that other GMs won't like.

It will go until one side jumps off the tracks first, or else they both get hit by the train (sitting out regular season games).

I predict Laine goes first, with an average AAV but a deal that buys no UFA years.

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hahaha I remember seeing that video a while back and wondering what the heck....

It all makes sense now!

It really hit me when I saw what he did while his teammates hoisted the Cup. :sarcasm:

LknbuMa.jpg

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
It really hit me when I saw what he did while his teammates hoisted the Cup. :sarcasm:

LknbuMa.jpg

#heartattack

I don't agree with suspending him tbh. Send him into their in house rehabilitation program and if he fails to complete that then he serves a suspension.

I really do think Cocaine should be considered a PED in the NHL though, so if someone were to pop midseason...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
#heartattack

I don't agree with suspending him tbh. Send him into their in house rehabilitation program and if he fails to complete that then he serves a suspension.

I really do think Cocaine should be considered a PED in the NHL though, so if someone were to pop midseason...

Coke apparently doesn't enhance performance but it could be deemed a prohibited drug. I wonder if he's going to be urged to enter the NHL's substance abuse program as a result.

Seems strange that there is no consequence whatsoever for the player taking an illegal drug, whether or not it happened while the player was playing an NHL game or not. The PA did some job keeping cocaine away from the prohibited drugs list.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Coke apparently doesn't enhance performance

I would beg to differ. Give a bump to a player going into double OT and it will enhance their performance.

I wonder if he's going to be urged to enter the NHL's substance abuse program as a result.

I hope so, it would be a good way for both sides to save face and it might end up helping Kuzy who knows?

Seems strange that there is no consequence whatsoever for the player taking an illegal drug, whether or not it happened while the player was playing an NHL game or not. The PA did some job keeping cocaine away from the prohibited drugs list.

There's no legal issue, it's not illegal to fail a drug test, or even to be high. Only possessing the drug is the crime.

Among my age and gender demographic, it's very prevalent. I can't imagine among the same demographic except with only incredibly wealthy fitness junkies.

The reason I don't think it's right to suspend him is that we all know there are likely dozens of players throughout the league that do the same thing, but just aren't tested.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, this might explain a few things. Good ole NHL.

The NHL has a relatively lax policy regarding recreational drugs compared with other American major professional sports leagues. Major League Baseball, the NFL and the NBA prohibit cocaine use and punish players who test positive – regardless of the quantity found in their system. NHL players who test positive with high levels of cocaine and marijuana may be contacted by the league’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program and recommended to a treatment program, but it’s not required.

Capitals’ Kuznetsov denies drug use after circulated video shows him sitting next to lines of white powdery substance

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Well, this might explain a few things. Good ole NHL.

The NHL has a relatively lax policy regarding recreational drugs compared with other American major professional sports leagues. Major League Baseball, the NFL and the NBA prohibit cocaine use and punish players who test positive – regardless of the quantity found in their system. NHL players who test positive with high levels of cocaine and marijuana may be contacted by the league’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program and recommended to a treatment program, but it’s not required.

Capitals’ Kuznetsov denies drug use after circulated video shows him sitting next to lines of white powdery substance

Good for the NHL, no need to follow the other leagues just for the sake of it.

The only change I would make is maybe have a threshold where the Substance Abuse program becomes mandatory in lieu of a suspension.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would beg to differ. Give a bump to a player going into double OT and it will enhance their performance.

You may well be right. Never tested it for myself, I'll defer to whatever science is saying.

There's no legal issue, it's not illegal to fail a drug test, or even to be high. Only possessing the drug is the crime.

Among my age and gender demographic, it's very prevalent. I can't imagine among the same demographic except with only incredibly wealthy fitness junkies.

The reason I don't think it's right to suspend him is that we all know there are likely dozens of players throughout the league that do the same thing, but just aren't tested.

I appreciate that possession is what constitutes an illegal act in Canada and in the US (in some jurisdictions, possession is permitted for medical use). I never meant to infer that failing a drug test is in and of itself illegal.

You are very likely correct that there is a drug issue across the NHL and cocaine may well be the recreation drug of choice. As for what punishment may await him, I wonder what the precedents might be. I know there is a clause the NHL can use where a player commits an act deemed detrimental to the league, they can impose sanctions but I don't know if it was ever used for a case like this.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I would beg to differ. Give a bump to a player going into double OT and it will enhance their performance

This is short term though. Providing a player can take a line just when needed yeah could work. But i highly doubt anyone can take a line only when needed. Coke is highly addictive.

Unlike international competitions where you are required to perform at max level a handful of weeks a year winning a cup requires a long grind. Yeah that line might help you in double OT of game 7 in the scf but for it to be helpful you need to win enough beforehand for a very long period of time.

I doubt if you give coke on a regular basis to all players of the Montreal Canadiens last year that it helps them make the playoffs. But i'm pretty sure if you give all of them real PED that they do make the payoffs rather easily (providing other team's player don't take them of course which is highly questionable to begin with).

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
This is short term though. Providing a player can take a line just when needed yeah could work. But i highly doubt anyone can take a line only when needed. Coke is highly addictive.

Unlike international competitions where you are required to perform at max level a handful of weeks a year winning a cup requires a long grind. Yeah that line might help you in double OT of game 7 in the scf but for it to be helpful you need to win enough beforehand for a very long period of time.

I see what you're saying, and absolutely it is detrimental for you in the long term, but I think it's much more long term than that.

If there are stock brokers, and teachers, and lawyers and doctors who can manage their coke habit, I have no doubt an NHL player could.

At the risk of sounding like I'm diminishing the addiction potential of it (which I'm not), Plenty of people use cocaine regularly but not daily. Lots of users fall into the once a week category, as it's used in conjunction with going out on the town on the weekends.

I agree the scenario of using it before double OT is unlikely (though I bet this has happened in the past). I just think it absolutely has the potential to give someone a competitive edge that others don't.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Coke apparently doesn't enhance performance but it could be deemed a prohibited drug. I wonder if he's going to be urged to enter the NHL's substance abuse program as a result.

On the short, I betcha yayo would be an enhancer, it’s on the long run that it would become a detriment.....the lifestyle, winding down off that drug would screw up your sleeping patterns and consequently your workouts would suffer too.

He should go into the substance abuse program....fully paid.

Relapse.....do it again

3rd times a charm though.......You’ve lost your right to play in the NHL

Jul 6, 2016
#heartattack

Rick Nattreess was suspended half a season by the NHL for a joint he smoked in Junior hockey.....

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
August prediction/.guess for Stanley Cup winner in 2020 ........ Vegas Knights

They would have won it last year if not for the game 7 gift to the Sharks

Reactions: the

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder if New Jersey will outperform the Habs this year.

They have added a trimmer Subban, and Jack Hughes. That is likely a pair of 50-point players.

Depends on goaltending for them. If they get league average goaltending, I have them in the play-offs. I don't have Montreal in the play-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad