Out of Town thread Part XIV: On the cusp of the 2nd round edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Damn so you found the only example that works and hes probably the worst case of player development ever.

Well, there's many examples that work when you don't restrict yourself to ''muh 50 goals.'' Why goals and not points? Is it because Ryan Strome had 106 and Kyle Wellwood had 118 and Dal Colle had 95?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, there's many examples that work when you don't restrict yourself to ''muh 50 goals.'' Why goals and not points? Is it because Ryan Strome had 106 and Kyle Wellwood had 118 and Dal Colle had 95?
Funny both Ryan Strome and Kyle Wellwood put up 50 points in the NHL.

So the best examples you could come up with are Yakupov and two middle 6 forwards ? Fool.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yep, Brendl is the obvious one. What happened there, I wouldnt know.

He's a guy who scored a lot of goals by exploiting holes in terrible junior defences, but didn't have much of a game outside of that.

Sound familiar?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Funny both Ryan Strome and Kyle Wellwood put up 50 points in the NHL.

So the best examples you could come up with are Yakupov and two middle 6 forwards ? Fool.

Ryan Strome is an immense disappointment, and Kyle Wellwood never put up 50 points in the NHL. And you forgot about Dal Colle who, at 22, has yet to earn himself an NHL roster spot.

Muh 102 points is a guarantee tho.

Reactions: jaffy27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ryan Strome is an immense disappointment, and Kyle Wellwood never put up 50 points in the NHL. And you forgot about Dal Colle who, at 22, has yet to earn himself an NHL roster spot.

Muh 102 points is a guarantee tho.
Isnt MDC kind of the opposite of Artur in playstyle though ?

Obviously high points seasons dont guarantee a NHL career, but which of these were as skilled as Kaliyev? You have to go to Brendl and Yakupov (I assume Brendl was, Ive never seen him play.)

I wouldnt want the Habs to land him as a lot of times theyve shown theyre not able to develop anything, but theres no reasons a NHLer cannot be made from Kaliyev.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He was lazy, out of shape, had poor work ethic and relied on his immense talent. So, bad example :naughty:

I guess hes a good example, along with Yakupov.

Even if Yakupov was the opposite of lazy, out of shape and poor work ethic.

Kovalchuk is another guy who bustef hard because he didnt play defense or hustled.

Oh
Damn
Waiiit

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Not sure if the Avs look like their going to be a tough team to beat or if Calgary just isn't good enough.

My picks for remaining teams are Stars, Blues, Knights, Caps, Avs, Bruins (even if I want the Leafs to win)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I am rewatching the Tampa-CBJ series.

McDonagh gave CBJ life game 1 and game 4. CBJ's sixth man is Ryan McDonagh. Foglino doesn't even get that chance if McDonagh does not make that pass.

Game 1 in that series was thievery. David Savard going coast to coast, and that SHG by Anderson happened because Savard crashed the net and got Stamkos to crash into his own goalie.

Tampa is a very, very bad puck possession team. They should get Boucher back and start trapping, because their offense is so opportunistic that it can work.

Scary foreshadowing of Tampa's problems came in Period 1 of Game 1 - Pierre Mcguire said Tampa's PK was elite and Cooper said their D just needs to move the puck a little quicker. Tampa's breakout was never fixed and CBJ's PP was money all freaking series. Maybe Marty St. Louis the consultant saw something in Tampa's PK, CBJ adjusted, but Tampa could never adjust.

Cooper needed to adjust, but didn't. Is he the first coach to get swept twice in his career?

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I am rewatching the Tampa-CBJ series.

McDonagh gave CBJ life game 1 and game 4. CBJ's sixth man is Ryan McDonagh. Foglino doesn't even get that chance if McDonagh does not make that pass.

Game 1 in that series was thievery. David Savard going coast to coast, and that SHG by Anderson happened because Savard crashed the net and got Stamkos to crash into his own goalie.

Tampa is a very, very bad puck possession team. They should get Boucher back and start trapping, because their offense is so opportunistic that it can work.

Scary foreshadowing of Tampa's problems came in Period 1 of Game 1 - Pierre Mcguire said Tampa's PK was elite and Cooper said their D just needs to move the puck a little quicker. Tampa's breakout was never fixed and CBJ's PP was money all freaking series. Maybe Marty St. Louis the consultant saw something in Tampa's PK, CBJ adjusted, but Tampa could never adjust.

Cooper needed to adjust, but didn't. Is he the first coach to get swept twice in his career?

Coach Q of all people got swept twice in three seasons with the Avs.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Coach Q of all people got swept twice in three seasons with the Avs.
Well, at least Q advanced to the second round first before getting broomed in a far more respectable conference back then, and the Avalanche were just a 95 point team. Perhaps, Cooper is the only coach to get booted out of the first round twice in a sweep?

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
Not sure if the Avs look like their going to be a tough team to beat or if Calgary just isn't good enough.

My picks for remaining teams are Stars, Blues, Knights, Caps, Avs, Bruins (even if I want the Leafs to win)
Flames first line isn't built for the NHL PO's and their goaltending duo is mediocre at best.
I live in Calgary and I said they'd be out in the first round because of that.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I keep watching the Avs OT winner and the back check of the Flanes forwards is pretty shocking. James Neal just gilded back into the defensive zone and didnt try and take out a passing lane.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I keep watching the Avs OT winner and the back check of the Flanes forwards is pretty shocking. James Neal just gilded back into the defensive zone and didnt try and take out a passing lane.
That's asking a little too much from Neal. He's a premier cherry picker, he can't waste time back checking.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
@PaulD again, what do you mean “always”? knights joined the league last year, are you saying you've been a hockey fan for 1 year?

Dont be like that, everyone here knows you like the Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad