Out of Town Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Fresh news on TOR cap ramifications:

The Leafs don’t have a great deal of cap space, and still have to sign another restricted free agent, Travis Dermott, who does not have arbitration rights. The Leafs would probably be uncomfortable if Mikheyev won, leaving them less to offer Dermott.

A generous award to Mikheyev may mean demoting players to the minors to bury their salary, leaving the team short of extra skaters. Or it could mean trading Mikheyev, or another player, to save salary cap space.

“Whether we have to go with a 20 men on the roster to start (instead of 23), or sending guys down to play for the Marlies rather than sitting out for us … it doesn’t appear that we’ll need to move anybody else out,” Dubas said on a conference call.

In theory, the Leafs have $3.185 million in cap space with commitments to 11 forwards, six defencemen and two goalies, according to CapFriendly. That should be enough to sign both Mikheyev and Dermott, though it would mean the likes of Nick Robertson, Pierre Engvall and Rasmus Sandin wouldn’t be on the team.

:popcorn:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The rumors about duclair turning down a raise to test the market are juicy.

Maybe Ottawa will be more amenable to taking on Byron now that duclair is out of the picture? :naughty:

Byron played his Junior A for Ottawa-West... their rink is a 15 min drive from the CTC, and that in Ottawa is suuuuuper close to the CTC. It's what I see as one of the few season ticket holder areas, if you want to keep your sanity going to / coming from games with the traffic.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

The Leafs don’t have a great deal of cap space, and still have to sign another restricted free agent, Travis Dermott, who does not have arbitration rights. The Leafs would probably be uncomfortable if Mikheyev won, leaving them less to offer Dermott.

A generous award to Mikheyev may mean demoting players to the minors to bury their salary, leaving the team short of extra skaters. Or it could mean trading Mikheyev, or another player, to save salary cap space.

“Whether we have to go with a 20 men on the roster to start (instead of 23), or sending guys down to play for the Marlies rather than sitting out for us … it doesn’t appear that we’ll need to move anybody else out,” Dubas said on a conference call.

In theory, the Leafs have $3.185 million in cap space with commitments to 11 forwards, six defencemen and two goalies, according to CapFriendly. That should be enough to sign both Mikheyev and Dermott, though it would mean the likes of Nick Robertson, Pierre Engvall and Rasmus Sandin wouldn’t be on the team.

Judging by some of the recent contracts, wouldn't surprise me if Dermott signs for only 1M. He's basically as proven as Mete.

Mikheyev will be interesting, he only played 39 games but got 23 points (45-50 point pace). Wonder what the arbitration hearing will give him.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Judging by some of the recent contracts, wouldn't surprise me if Dermott signs for only 1M. He's basically as proven as Mete.

Mikheyev will be interesting, he only played 39 games but got 23 points (45-50 point pace). Wonder what the arbitration hearing will give him.
I really liked what i saw from mikheyev last year. A tenacious forecheker with size. I would sign him long term at 2,5/3

Reactions: cphabs

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The rumors about duclair turning down a raise to test the market are juicy.

Maybe Ottawa will be more amenable to taking on Byron now that duclair is out of the picture? :naughty:

Saw this on Twitter. If that's true, that really, really sucks for Duclair. Maybe a kid in their 20s shouldn't be representing themselves on their first major contract. Ouch.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I get why they signed Simmonds, but that $1.5m equates to two ELCs. It’s going to be a mess if they cannot carry an extra player during a condensed season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So what happens to the veteran core who hates this?

I imagine they've had conversations with them to see if either of them would rather be moved or would be willing to stay and help guide some of the young players.

Kane and Toews specifically, with 3 years remaining at $10.5M, Chicago would have to eat up 50% of their salary and/or attach a prospect to them. And attaching a prospect to them would kind of defeat the purpose of rebuilding since they do have good prospects in their pool.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No disrespect to Duclair but...he should've taken 4.25X3 and ran. Seriously, that's more than fair.
It will be an expensive lesson as I believe Ottawa’s deal will have been the best deal out there.

IF he comes back crawling to Ottawa, I’m convinced that deal is off the table only to be replaced by a crappier deal.

Duclair comes out of this looking like a really sharp spoon......

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I imagine they've had conversations with them to see if either of them would rather be moved or would be willing to stay and help guide some of the young players.

Kane and Toews specifically, with 3 years remaining at $10.5M, Chicago would have to eat up 50% of their salary and/or attach a prospect to them. And attaching a prospect to them would kind of defeat the purpose of rebuilding since they do have good prospects in their pool.

I highly doubt they’d have to retain anything on a guy like Kane. Toews, they might but I imagine they can just take on several bad contracts back in return to balance off the cap.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Saw this on Twitter. If that's true, that really, really sucks for Duclair. Maybe a kid in their 20s shouldn't be representing themselves on their first major contract. Ouch.

That’s what agents are for. To prevent you from making a mess of things and turning down $12M+ in a flat cap era. Think the 8% is worth it now, Anthony? What a donkey.

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
So what happens to the veteran core who hates this?

tenor.gif

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
That’s what agents are for. To prevent you from making a mess of things and turning down $12M+ in a flat cap era. Think the 8% is worth more t now, Anthony? What a donkey.
Yup, really hope he learned his lesson. How can he possibly have thought he could’ve gotten more during this situation? Even what he was offered by Ottawa could be considered an overpayment. Imagine no one wants to offer him any kind of decent contract so he goes to play in KHL or something?

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yup, really hope he learned his lesson. How can he possibly have thought he could’ve gotten more during this situation? Even what he was offered by Ottawa could be considered an overpayment. Imagine no one wants to offer him any kind of decent contract so he goes to play in KHL or something?
Just absolutely crazy how poorly he misjudged his value. To think we got Toffoli for $4.5M is insane.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

there you go... another management team willing to own a clear direction...

interesting to see how effective they are in the process and what their roster looks like in 2-3 years.

Will they get as "lucky" as the Rangers as far as ending up stockpiling an insane amount of elite young talent?
Will they be as effective as the Leafs in using the clear focus to move on from one core group and replenish the franchise with another core group of stars?

and ultimately, will they build a roster that can contend again soon...

or will they go the oilers route and spin their tires aimlessly for a decade?

time will tell, but personally, i appreciate a leadership group with a clear plan and the balls to commit to it publicly

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Now that’s a world class organization.

Cool.....so essentially they will do like the Habs with the reset.......

build around your elected vets (Weber, Price, Petry, Gallagher)

inject youth in your lineup (Suzuki, KK, Romanov)

Have youth knocking on the door (Fleury, Poehling, Juulsen, Primeau)

Have solid prospects with potential in your system (Guhle, Caulfield, Ylonen, Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Tuch, Brook)

Have a pile of picks at your disposal (14 picks in next draft)

And when the iron is hot, insulate you’re core and kids (Anderson, Toffoli, Armia, Chiarot)

Now you’re ready to compete not only this year, but for years to come.......

Honestly, this plan was executed to perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad