Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
"Shut up" was of course meant figuratively. Maybe I should have said, relax and wait. Almost 5 years after he was drafted kotkaniemi is finally looking like a first round pick.

I see this current regime making the same "mistakes" with slaf as they did with KK. Remember during kks promising rookie season he got dumped on his head by zadorov? Slaf took a couple bad hits this season yeah? Turns out it didn't damage kotkaniemi permanently, and it won't damage slaf permanently either. Neither did benching KK in the playoffs, or playing him 11 minutes a night as recently as last season in Carolina.

All this chat about rushing young players, linemates, ice time and usage when they're still developing makes my head spin. How they develop as players had very little to do with those variables and almost everything to do with just being able to wait while a player grows physically and mentally into his potential.

Not sure what you are looking at, but I don't see any comparison of how the org. is building a relationship with Slaf & how it previously navigated the relationship with JKO... Night & day really. Only thing in common is that they both started in NHL right away, but that's like saying that JKO & Tkachuk had the same treatment, which is of course demonstrably false.

There's a nuance lacking in drawing parallels btw these quite different situations.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There is a guy at the Gazette who made shitting on Bergevin his stock in trade, the recurring article was called What the Puck and he was after MB for years. Don't know if I saw that guy's post mortem after Bergevin was axed, though.
Brendan Kelly.
His takes were basically straight from our pages.

Reactions: dinodebino

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nobody is triggered, relax.

The discussion is about our perceptions of decisions made at this moment. Constantly saying that the future will look different is simply a not worthwhile contribution.
I don’t think I said the future will be different, I’m just against being a prisoner of the moment.

Adversity, even for a young player, isn’t always a bad thing.

Reactions: Miller Time

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I don’t think I said the future will be different, I’m just against being a prisoner of the moment.

Adversity, even for a young player, isn’t always a bad thing.
For a fan of the team that hasn’t successfully drafted and developed a single impact forward in a very long time, that’s an awfully confident take upon which you’ve built your castle.

Adversity isn’t always a bad thing? Sure, but what about drafting the wrong guy, putting him in the wrong environment, and developing him the wrong way?

Surely you can understand people would feel like one or all of the above fits their evaluation of this prospect or that prospect… especially when the player simply does not perform to a level necessary to shut down the critics.

@Jaynki said that Slaf should have questions asked of him if he still hasn’t put it together by game 100. I think actually that’s unfair to Slaf because this past season is a write-off. But Slaf certainly should show progress every season and if he doesn’t, your “he’s only 19, he has plenty of time” shtick will run dry. We’ve been through that with the last two top3 picks the team rushed to the NHL.

Kotkaniemi went down in his second season and Galchenyuk went sideways. Neither matched their 3OA expectations. A 1OA should improve every year.

Last edited:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know. I mean I'm not outraged but I do think it's unprofessional. Calling him a fool and a weakling could be replaced by showing his ineffectiveness.

It just screams someone who's got a personal gripe with Hextall over a hockey analyst.
And he does. Need to look at his Twitter account to see that he probably got snubbed.
And those paragraphs show me that this individual has never managed anything in his life before.

Reactions: Canadienna

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Time to publicly eat some crow, I mentioned Hextall as an alternative a couple of years prior to Bergevin leaving.
It seemed to me that Hextall was succesful as an AGM with the Kings and had Philadelphia's rebuild on track before top brass got inpatient and decided that it was taking too long and sacked him.

I can't complain about us having HuGo today.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
oh yeah, we really need a team in Atlanta, again!
giphy.gif

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
oh yeah, we really need a team in Atlanta, again!
giphy.gif

This proposal is in a northern suburb of Atlanta as opposed to the southern part of the city where the thrashers played. The south is more African American, and have little if any interest in the nhl. It is also a nightmare for the people in the northern suburbs to commute to the southern part of the city.... Many find no reason to travel to Atlanta when they are in the suburbs.

This location has a better chance of working. The idea is usually to play downtown but in Atlanta's case, only 500k are living in the city (many of whom will never give the nhl a chance), while the entire surrounding area has 6.1 million people.

Reactions: MarkJ and MadMslm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad