Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
All these teams making moves to their management and coaching staff after one or two bad years makes the sclerotic Molson-Bergevin era look even worse.

The Pens miss the playoffs one time and they clear out their upper management.

I really hope Molson and Gorton know what they’re doing.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Can we find an improvement over Burrows in the off season ? There's going to be a lot of coaches looking for a spot, most of them with a lot more experience .

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Really strong second half from Kotkaniemi this year…not too long ago I had raging debates on here that when Kotkaniemi would be 23-24, he’d be as valuable a player on a roster as Danault was, who at the time was monopolizing all of the ice time down the middle for the Habs.

He’s not quite there yet…but…..

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Really strong second half from Kotkaniemi this year…not too long ago I had raging debates on here that when Kotkaniemi would be 23-24, he’d be as valuable a player on a roster as Danault was, who at the time was monopolizing all of the ice time down the middle for the Habs.

Project center taking project time to get there.

I think the ceiling is still a good 2C with size.

Reactions: 417

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Wait until they hire Bergevin as their new GM.

This guy wrote a SCATHING piece in the Athletic, and he noted that part about Hextall's assistant being the one to push for Granlund. But there's no doubt how Yohe felt as he finished the piece.

"Hextall is one of the worst general managers in franchise history. He may well have destroyed the Penguins with his ghastly record of player transactions.

It’s easy to say that Hextall is a fool, and surely this explains why he stunk as general manager. Maybe.

More than anything, though, Hextall was a weakling during his time as Penguins’ general manager. Tough guy Hextall, the goalie with an attitude, rolled over and let his assistants make decisions. He let his players make decisions. He let fans make decisions. He sat quietly in his office all day while the rest of the organization was fading away."

• Wow
Reactions: ngc_5128 and ReHabs

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Project center taking project time to get there.

I think the ceiling is still a good 2C with size.

Agreed…I don’t see #1C ceiling but an all-around 2C is what he’s trending towards.
Barrett Hayton (#5 pick in 2018) is on a similar trajectory. His 22-23 numbers are almost identical to KK's.

It takes time for these guys. Many posters here were dumping on Dach when we acquired him last year as if he was washed up at 21. :laugh:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
This guy wrote a SCATHING piece in the Athletic, and he noted that part about Hextall's assistant being the one to push for Granlund. But there's no doubt how Yohe felt as he finished the piece.

"Hextall is one of the worst general managers in franchise history. He may well have destroyed the Penguins with his ghastly record of player transactions.

It’s easy to say that Hextall is a fool, and surely this explains why he stunk as general manager. Maybe.

More than anything, though, Hextall was a weakling during his time as Penguins’ general manager. Tough guy Hextall, the goalie with an attitude, rolled over and let his assistants make decisions. He let his players make decisions. He let fans make decisions. He sat quietly in his office all day while the rest of the organization was fading away."

Did we ever get anything like this written by anyone about Bergevin?

• Haha
Reactions: Team_Spirit

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

To be honest that seems unprofessional and unnecessarily personal.

It's what I'd expect to see on HF not from a paywalled hockey journalist.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That was fast!

Now who's going to have the awful job of trying to make the old man team make the playoffs next season?
Apparently Fenway Sports Group (ownership) have targeted Dubas - not surprising since the owner John Henry tried very hard to poach Billy Beane from As once he bought Red Sox and is a big time analytics guy further influenced by his hedge fund background

Mario Lemieux. What was he thinking?
Mario is nothing more than a figurehead w Pens now since selling the team to John Henry’s Fenway Sports Group

Reactions: dinodebino

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Can we find an improvement over Burrows in the off season ? There's going to be a lot of coaches looking for a spot, most of them with a lot more experience .
We can. However, I believe the plan is to avoid systems coaches at the moment and keep development and culture coaches. In Burrows’ case, he seems to be a developing coach as well. If they aren’t happy with him when the team is ready to win I expect them to upgrade but there’s no rush.

Reactions: dinodebino

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Turns out his usage as a teenager didn't ruin him at all.

• Wow
Reactions: dinodebino and 417

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To be honest that seems unprofessional and unnecessarily personal.

It's what I'd expect to see on HF not from a paywalled hockey journalist.
Can’t say anything on Hextall because I wasn’t following it but I’d argue that some people deserve a good blasting.

I didn’t read anything tin that excerpt that was over the line. To bring it closer to home, is it wrong to describe Therrien as a bully if that’s what he really was? It’s personal but it’s absolutely correct.

Reactions: ReHabs

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Can’t say anything on Hextall because I wasn’t following it but I’d argue that some people deserve a good blasting.

I didn’t read anything tin that excerpt that was over the line. To bring it closer to home, is it wrong to describe Therrien as a bully if that’s what he really was? It’s personal but it’s absolutely correct.

I don't know. I mean I'm not outraged but I do think it's unprofessional. Calling him a fool and a weakling could be replaced by showing his ineffectiveness.

It just screams someone who's got a personal gripe with Hextall over a hockey analyst.

Reactions: dgeezus

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Did we ever get anything like this written by anyone about Bergevin?

Nothing that harsh in the mainstream, but then against it's pretty easy to trash an organization from top to bottom when you don't rely on them to put foods on your table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad