GDT: Out of Town Thread - GAME ON! (No Patrick Kane talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
The things with the torch is it based on a pretty bad ass quote that has been in the Habs dressing room since the 1950s

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high,"

Leave it to those (some of the worst people in the world) sports fan experience marketers to ruin it. :laugh:

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
The things with the torch is it based on a pretty bad ass quote that has been in the Habs dressing room since the 1950s

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high,"

Leave it to those (some of the worst people in the world) sports fan experience marketers to ruin it. :laugh:

It's from the famous Canadian poem "In Flander's Fields" which was written by an army medical officer during the battle of Ypres in ww1 referring to fallen Canadian soldiers.

If that's the source of the whole torch thing when referring to a ****ing hockey team as someone with deep Canadian roots who had relatives fight in Europe during both world wars I find that beyond offensive.

Edit. Here's the whole poem for reference.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's from the famous Canadian poem "In Flander's Fields" which was written by an army medical officer during the battle of Ypres in ww1 referring to fallen Canadian soldiers.

If that's the source of the whole torch thing when referring to a ****ing hockey team I find that beyond offensive.

Leave to that hockey-psychotic town to equate saving the world from tyranny and oppression to men playing a boy's game. No wonder they flooded 911 when Patches got an owie or burned the city after L'enfant Terrible got a few games for an on-ice temper tantrum.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

If that's the source of the whole torch thing when referring to a ****ing hockey team as someone with deep Canadian roots who had relatives fight in Europe during both world wars I find that beyond offensive.

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields

**** that's great.

But what if it's really about a pre-game hockey ceremony with an actual torch? Think about it.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
**** that's great.

But what if it's really about a pre-game hockey ceremony with an actual torch? Think about it.

Well after the torch thing, they do march out every soon-to-be-dead fossil who ever wore a toilet seat (mostly because those grey hairs are the last ones alive who actually won anything). So there is that.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Overplaying price. He looked tired last game.

Surely playing Edmonton is a game where you turn to your backup.

After they lost the Habs coaches should have rested Price. No record to go for anymore and let him get a break.

The Habs overly relied on Price the last two seasons and saw him case in the playoffs.

Oh well it was kinda of nice to go to bed expecting another Habs win but to wake up to the loss. Maybe it will start a 9 game losing streak ;)

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields

Whoah- I always thought that was an English poem critical and cynical about war after the horrors of WWI- along the lines of Dolce et Decorum Est.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Whoah- I always thought that was an English poem critical and cynical about war after the horrors of WWI- along the lines of Dolce et Decorum Est.

It was written by a field surgeon John Macrae, a native of Guelph who wrote the poem in combat. It's been reprinted so many times in so many places that it's original tone could be up for debate. They way we were taught it in school is that Macrae, as a doctor would see first hand the waste of the first world war and wrote the poem not only as a way to blow off steam but to acknowledge his understanding of the reasons for the conflict and that the men who fought on the battlefield should be remembered as human beings who fought with purpose and for peace.

It's basically sacred up here. It's on our ten dollar bill. I read today an article by Ken Dryden who seems for someone so educated utterly unable to grasp how wildly inappropriate using lines from that poem in his attempts to justify why the Habs use parts of it as some kind battle slogan and to put on ridiculous garish pageants using war imagery.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's basically sacred up here. It's on our ten dollar bill. I read today an article by Ken Dryden who seems for someone so educated utterly unable to grasp how wildly inappropriate using lines from that poem in his attempts to justify why the Habs use parts of it as some kind battle slogan and to put on ridiculous garish pageants using war imagery.

Exactly! It would be like Manchester United wrote "Into the Valley of Death rode The 600!" in their locker room and staged mock charges before every match with little kids singing:

"Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die".

It's sacrilege and insulting. I mean, the New England Patriots have Minutemen in full gear firing muskets, but they are named THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!! It kind of goes with the theme! And I don't see anyone writing lines from "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" or "The Shot Heard 'round the World" on the Pats locker room wall.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Every Bruins defenceman should watch what Darnell Nurse did last nite vs habs forwards when they tried to control pucks coming out of corners in 3rd period.He was downright physical and nasty and took pucks away every time easily.There was no standing around waiting.He just manhandled them.It was a thing of beauty and Edmonton has a beast there for years to come.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Exactly! It would be like Manchester United wrote "Into the Valley of Death rode The 600!" in their locker room and staged mock charges before every match with little kids singing:

"Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die".

It's sacrilege and insulting. I mean, the New England Patriots have Minutemen in full gear firing muskets, but they are named THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!! It kind of goes with the theme! And I don't see anyone writing lines from "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" or "The Shot Heard 'round the World" on the Pats locker room wall.

We save that kind of stuff for jack edward's rants! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad