GDT: Out of Town Thread - GAME ON! (No Patrick Kane talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Torres came about 40 feet, and had plenty of time to pull up after Silferberg got rid of the puck, and hit him high anyway. Way high, way late.

Then, the way he nonchalantly skates into him when he's down as though he doesn't even see him sure seems to add insult to injury.

I too don't put Rinaldo in the same class as Torres and Cooke, YET, but I'm very concerned that he might pull something like this and injure someone or even end a career.

I suspect he'll be a fan favorite, and I will root for him to succeed because I love the laundry he's wearing these days, but I'm well aware that I may withdraw my support for him sooner rather than later...hope I'm wrong.

I also suspect I'm spelling Silferberg wrong! :nod:

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Torres came about 40 feet, and had plenty of time to pull up after Silferberg got rid of the puck, and hit him high anyway. Way high, way late.

Then, the way he nonchalantly skates into him when he's down as though he doesn't even see him sure seems to add insult to injury.

I too don't put Rinaldo in the same class as Torres and Cooke, YET, but I'm very concerned that he might pull something like this and injure someone or even end a career.

I suspect he'll be a fan favorite, and I will root for him to succeed because I love the laundry he's wearing these days, but I'm well aware that I may withdraw my support for him sooner rather than later...hope I'm wrong.

I also suspect I'm spelling Silferberg wrong! :nod:

I don't like Raffi Torres, or the hit, but there is no way he had plenty of time to pull up, and the hit was more certainly not late.

The puck was still in Silverberg's feet, and Raffi was skating pretty quickly. It's a fast game. Also, it looks to me like Raffi was trying to keep his arms tucked, and go for a shoulder hit, but accidentally made contact with the head.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
http://gfycat.com/RipeGoodGopher

The replay video doesn't look so bad and pretty much like you described but there's the other angle where Torres charges from center ice, the puck has left Silf's stick at this point Torres goes around a guy and throws his shoulder into Silf's melon. I didn't think it was that bad either until I saw the replay.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I don't like Raffi Torres, or the hit, but there is no way he had plenty of time to pull up, and the hit was more certainly not late.

The puck was still in Silverberg's feet, and Raffi was skating pretty quickly. It's a fast game. Also, it looks to me like Raffi was trying to keep his arms tucked, and go for a shoulder hit, but accidentally made contact with the head.

Bull ****. You don't "accidentally ma(k)e contact with the head" of a guy skating upright that is about your size, who doesn't duck the hit or otherwise move at the last second. You either target the chest, target below the waist, or target the head, and Torres targeted the head. Or are you saying that he lined the guy up for 40 feet, saw him the entire way, the guy never ducks the hit (or even sees it coming) and poor, misunderstood Raffi's shoulder "accidentally" rises up 6 inches to hit the guy right in the melon?

cbatson730

Nov 29, 2010
Boston, MA

I have to strongly disagree with you. He charged at him from center ice but these guys are professionals; they can stop on a dime. Torres had sufficient time to pull up. If his teammate continued on his path and cut in front of Silfverberg I'm sure he would have stopped and not run him over.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I have to strongly disagree with you. He charged at him from center ice but these guys are professionals; they can stop on a dime. Torres had sufficient time to pull up. If his teammate continued on his path and cut in front of Silfverberg I'm sure he would have stopped and not run him over.
Agreed. You can clearly see in the slo mo replay Torres slightly slowed down to avoid another player on the other team so he could get a good hit w/o losing most of his momentum. He also lifted his opposite skate right before the hit so he could get a better upward angle with his shoulder.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I see a lot of Torres in Rinaldo, Zac does a far better job of staying tucked and using circular routes.

This last Torres hit is almost late, kinda charging and he goes up too soon and connects clearly high.

Also, it is a bit predatory in that Raffi had enough time to recognize someone with their head down and got to that player...

...many purist will question who's fault that really is.

From what I have seen of Rinaldo he likes to take indirect low routes and blast through hits. He is just as if not more so a predatory player but he plays it closer to the legal side than Torres.

It's like Raffi sees a player with his head down and goes straight at him, Zac makes note and plans out a hit.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Torres got 41 games for that ****. Since he's a repeat offender I would have banned him for life but this is the NHL we're talking about.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I see a lot of Torres in Rinaldo, Zac does a far better job of staying tucked and using circular routes.

This last Torres hit is almost late, kinda charging and he goes up too soon and connects clearly high.

Also, it is a bit predatory in that Raffi had enough time to recognize someone with their head down and got to that player...

...many purist will question who's fault that really is.

From what I have seen of Rinaldo he likes to take indirect low routes and blast through hits. He is just as if not more so a predatory player but he plays it closer to the legal side than Torres.

It's like Raffi sees a player with his head down and goes straight at him, Zac makes note and plans out a hit.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say?

First, you say you see a lot of Torres in Rinaldo, even though Rinaldo's suspension record is not nearly as lengthy or egregious as Torres'. Then you say Rinaldo is a more predatory player than Torres, except he plays it closer to the legal side.

Wait...what?

Either Ribaldo is more of a predator than Torres or he isn't, and right now there is no evidence that suggests he's worse.

I said a couple of years ago that I thought Torres was much worse than Cooke, but that for some reason he didn't get nearly the notoriety. What happened the other day did nothing to change that opinion.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Boy, I have never saw this coming :

Former NHL player Sean Avery was arrested last week on two criminal charges.
According to a report from the 27east.com, Avery was arrested by Southampton Village Police on Wednesday, Sept. 30 following a routine traffic stop.
Avery was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief and seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, both misdemeanours.
According to the report, the criminal mischief charge was for Avery allegedly throwing objects at passing vehicles. He also was found to be in possession of two prescription drugs, acetaminophen with oxycodone and roxicodone

http://www.tsn.ca/report-former-nhler-avery-arrested-1.372713

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

I get all that. I do. I can only assume you haven't seen the video that shows Torres literally from the moment he goes over the boards up to the hit. It was predatory. There was zero hockey play intent. Period.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say?

First, you say you see a lot of Torres in Rinaldo, even though Rinaldo's suspension record is not nearly as lengthy or egregious as Torres'. Then you say Rinaldo is a more predatory player than Torres, except he plays it closer to the legal side.

Wait...what?

Either Ribaldo is more of a predator than Torres or he isn't, and right now there is no evidence that suggests he's worse.

I said a couple of years ago that I thought Torres was much worse than Cooke, but that for some reason he didn't get nearly the notoriety. What happened the other day did nothing to change that opinion.

I'm saying they both love to find people with their head down, Torres does it blatantly and directly against people skulls.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

According to a report from the 27east.com, Avery was arrested by Southampton Village Police on Wednesday, Sept. 30 following a routine traffic stop.
Avery was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief and seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, both misdemeanours.
According to the report, the criminal mischief charge was for Avery allegedly throwing objects at passing vehicles. He also was found to be in possession of two prescription drugs, acetaminophen with oxycodone and roxicodone

Now there is a real shocker.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I get all that. I do. I can only assume you haven't seen the video that shows Torres literally from the moment he goes over the boards up to the hit. It was predatory. There was zero hockey play intent. Period.

Fair enough. I watched the first replay from the stands, and it looked like a borderline irresponsible charge, and that was about it. Clearly the primary point of contact was the head, but it looked like he could have been going for the shoulder.

I'll have to check the other replays.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

its all spin!!! :sarcasm:

BigBadBruins63*

Wow, that top 10 hit reel for Rinaldo was impressive. Of the 9 hits shown (one was a fight) only one was an actual penalty. This guy is a violent hitter, and i love it.

Cannot wait to see him blow people up in the B&G

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm saying they both love to find people with their head down, Torres does it blatantly and directly against people skulls.

The only hit of the 10 (well 9 because one was a fight) that was "dirty" was the hit on Moulson, which was only bad because it was late. Most of them were just vicious shoulder to chest contact that were called penalties because of the end result and because it was Rinaldo.

To me that's targeted, but not "predatory". I only use that term if the intent is to hurt with an illegal hit.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

You show us a film on how to throw devastating checks without targeting the head and you think this proves a point? In almost every hit shown, Rinaldo deliberately threw his shoulder to miss the head. With those kind of targets, Torres would have sent them to the hospital.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Torres got 41 games for that ****. Since he's a repeat offender I would have banned him for life but this is the NHL we're talking about.

It's the longest suspension in NHL history for a player-on-player hit (an attack on an official resulted in a lifetime ban in the 1920s; the offender was reinstated after 2 years but never played again).

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I have a feeling this is the death knell for Torres in the NHL.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
All summer long we heard here in Montreal what a genius Bergevin was for trading Prust for Kassian and a 5th rounder.

Suddenly the genius has become a twit for taking on Kassian with all his issues.

When I tried to tell them that Kassian had his issues they told me a Bruin fan was an unreliable source.

They told me he was going to be a power-forward and play top 6 for them. I told them you don't get a top 6 power-forward for a declining player like Prust. I even pointed out there wouldn't be a 5th included in the deal if Kassian was what they projected.

They still think he's going to play for them this year.

Good luck to Kassain, hope he can get his issues figured out.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
You show us a film on how to throw devastating checks without targeting the head and you think this proves a point? In almost every hit shown, Rinaldo deliberately threw his shoulder to miss the head. With those kind of targets, Torres would have sent them to the hospital.

I said Rinaldo was also "predatory", maybe even worse so, looks for heads down, not take them off.

Never called him a head hunter.

But if you can call all those clean???

In those ten alone he hides a charging very well, he gets off the ice a lot and and he has a questionable chicken wing twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad