HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It was a mistake almost the entire fan base screamed for him to make.

It was non-sensical around here when he was up for discussion. I was on an island saying this kid wasn't gonna be anything.
And also kk. As soon as I saw him Skate with his 10 foot long stick and totally upright in game 1 I was like omg what has Timmins done now? But I shut my mouth and waited.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Why the f*** are the Oilers starting Skinner?
He apparently wanted Kreider, but was overuled
This is nonsense in my opinion. I doubt the owners would pay that much money in terms of salary and resources for an entire scouting team just to ignore all their work and draft a local French kid. Timmins is known for always making excuses and saying how he wants a certain player over the one he drafted.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Kotkaniemi with 1 point in 11 playoff games. Canes tried to troll Montreal by offer sheeting Kotkaniemi. Ended up trolling themselves. His contract costs them a series and good shot at a cup.
Go check out their board under GDT: unsolved mysteries . . .. Pretty funny, and really well done. I agree with most of the OP's statements, with exception including that KK made his way to Florida to lay low after stealing large sums of money from two NHL franchises. Nope he didn't steal large sums from two franchises, only one. BAWHAHAHAHA. One of the few contract BargainBin had the good sense not to stiff us with.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Golf tonight... can;t watch the oilers lose. Ah well... will be fun to read their board later. Man, I miss having Habs in the playoffs. Must be nice being these other teams' fans.
I get what you are saying, but I have to wonder just how nice it is being a leafs' fan. Going into a series knowing you are going to lose can't be much fun.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I’m not glad. Makes the Winnipeg pick worse.

Did he f your wife and run over your dog? Jeez
Players who refuse to show up for games should be despised (unless there is a reason like Drouin). He was treated well by the Habs. They could have sat him for most of the season and dressed someone who deserved to play.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Skinner? Really? :facepalm:

Pickard has been excellent. He had a .914 save percentage in the G5 loss and was the only reason Oilers didn't lose by a larger margin. He has a .915 over 3 games.

Meanwhile, in 6 of 8 games Skinner has never gotten a save percentage higher than .892. His last game he left with .733.

He's given up 12g in 3 games against Vancouver and has .789 save percentage.

Brutal.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Skinner? Really? :facepalm:

Pickard has been excellent. He had a .914 save percentage in the G5 loss and was the only reason Oilers didn't lose by a larger margin. He has a .915 over 3 games.

Meanwhile, in 6 of 8 games Skinner has never gotten a save percentage higher than .892. His last game he left with .733.

He's given up 12g in 3 games against Vancouver and has .789 save percentage.

Brutal.
Unless Pickard is hurt, I really don't get this decision.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Unless Pickard is hurt, I really don't get this decision.

Oilers board isn't happy about it as well. A couple of them have a theory that the organization needs a scapegoat so that criticism doesn't land on McDavid if G6 is anything like G5. If Skinner wins great. If he doesn't, he'll be blamed. It gives a soft landing to other players who aren't performing.

Interesting take.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
After the World Juniors, I thought Hayton looked like he'd be a good one.
Had the yotes not moved to Utah, I figured him to be a very good target for us... Now, doubt they move him unless they make a few other significant C upgrades.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Playing Lil Stuart and sitting our boy Perry...

RIP Oilers

1000000757.jpg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember pickard as the goalie who got lit up by the Habs some years ago when they won something like 10-1 against Colorado.

Ultimately, he's pretty much been a #3 in his career, so the question becomes, do you want to go into a deciding game putting faith that this ahler will hold up for two more games, or do you go back to the guy that you got to this point with, and give him the opportunity to redeem himself.

It's a tough decision, but the oilers did this to themselves by putting their contention window in skinner's hands, and they also had a bunch of oiler fans deluded into thinking that this would be a cup formula.

I maintain to this day that I never saw Edmonton as a legitimate cup threat, and goaltending is only one of the reasons why.

Regardless, even if they get past vancouver, dallas is going to dispose of them and remind them again just how far they really are from that cup tier.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Oilers board isn't happy about it as well. A couple of them have a theory that the organization needs a scapegoat so that criticism doesn't land on McDavid if G6 is anything like G5. If Skinner wins great. If he doesn't, he'll be blamed. It gives a soft landing to other players who aren't performing.

Interesting take.
Holy Moly, nobody among the Oilers have any faith on their team. :laugh:

Also, if they think McDavid is underperforming with 21 pts in 10 games, those people blind, you can't win with a one man (well two man with Leon) team.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I remember pickard as the goalie who got lit up by the Habs some years ago when they won something like 10-1 against Colorado.

Ultimately, he's pretty much been a #3 in his career, so the question becomes, do you want to go into a deciding game putting faith that this ahler will hold up for two more games, or do you go back to the guy that you got to this point with, and give him the opportunity to redeem himself.

It's a tough decision, but the oilers did this to themselves by putting their contention window in skinner's hands, and they also had a bunch of oiler fans deluded into thinking that this would be a cup formula.

I maintain to this day that I never saw Edmonton as a legitimate cup threat, and goaltending is only one of the reasons why.

Regardless, even if they get past vancouver, dallas is going to dispose of them and remind them again just how far they really are from that cup tier.
They have been in almost every game with terrible goalltending and McDavid needing to do more. With a good goaltender and McDavid contributing goals they would be dangerous.

Last edited:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Holy Moly, nobody among the Oilers have any faith on their team. :laugh:

Also, if they think McDavid is underperforming with 21 pts in 10 games, those people blind, you can't win with a one man (well two man with Leon) team.

It's 18 in 10 games... And they are not totally wrong in the sense that the Oilers are built in a way that need McDavid PPG to be >2. And yes, it's a dumb way to build a team, but whatever. The Habs went through something similar with Price when we needed Price GAA to be lower than ~1.8 so our offense could keep up. :facepalm:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's 18 in 10 games... And they are not totally wrong in the sense that the Oilers are built in a way that need McDavid PPG to be >2. And yes, it's a dumb way to build a team, but whatever. The Habs went through something similar with Price when we needed Price GAA to be lower than ~1.8 so our offense could keep up. :facepalm:
And without Henrique who was added to be a 2nd line centre and create 2 lines they don't have 2 good scoring lines. If they put Draisaitl on McDavid's line they only have one line.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I mixed up Draisailt and McDavid. To my credit, I didn't really check the name, just the total of pts. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure it's more 3< PPG that McDavid would need to be to carry this team with a sieve in net to the cup too.

And I don't remember many people complaining about Price's performance in the playoff the way people are complaining about McDavid's.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
After the World Juniors, I thought Hayton looked like he'd be a good one.

It's funny how much people loved him at WJCs. I didn't. He wasn't efficient at all, didn't have an accurate shot, tried to deke too much, made poor decisions with the puck, but he skated fast & worked hard.

I really, really didn't like Hayton at WJCs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad