HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
In other words, it’s a factor they had to consider which you said they didnt
Nice way of saying… In other words the org wasn’t really high on Michkov the player whose offensive capabilities were not good enough to overcome his other shortcomings

Habs didn’t feel Michkov was the BPA at 5OA is the crux of the matter and assessed Redenbacher as being a better player / fit for their team

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nice way of saying… In other words the org wasn’t really high on Michkov the player whose offensive capabilities were not good enough to overcome his other shortcomings
Perceived shortcomings. So much to unpack once people in the know hopefully start talking.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Nice way of saying…
You said it wasn’t contract when his contract status was most definitely a factor. I’m not talking about player evaluations here, I’m talking about contract status being a factor which it absolutely is despite what you said.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You said it wasn’t contract when his contract status was most definitely a factor. I’m not talking about player evaluations here, I’m talking about contract status being a factor which it absolutely is despite what you said.
It wasn’t because Michkov was not a player they held in high regard per Basu - but Hughes can’t publicly state we don’t like his overall game, so the easy politically correct out is “we want to pro-actively be able to control the development path of a player we draft”

Notice they still drafted another Russian a few rounds later

Reactions: Miller Time

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It wasn’t because Michkov was not a player they held in high regard per Basu - but Hughes can’t publicly state we don’t like his overall game, so the easy politically correct out is “we want to pro-actively be able to control the development path of a player we draft”

Well it was because Hughes himself said so.

Drafting someone with a contract "risk" in later rounds is significantly different than drafting one with a top 5 pick.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I have a hard time getting into Michkov Marner since it seems so social media and fan driven. If he ever starts spanking the NHL then I guess I will think it sucks they passed on him, but getting too high or low on prospects is f***ing silly. Get like that about NHL contributors, not hypotheticals.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Multiple Russians...

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Interesting game tonight

Boeser out throws a kink

Apparently Vancouver has their personal ref who they have like an 11-0 record with. Thats just weird no matter how much a coincidence

Skinrash implosion?

McDrai dominance?

Vancouvers unsung heros and comebacks?

Was last game Silov starting to fade or will he bounce back?

Home ice or riot?

Reactions: Gustave

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I have a hard time getting into Michkov Marner since it seems so social media and fan driven. If he ever starts spanking the NHL then I guess I will think it sucks they passed on him, but getting too high or low on prospects is f***ing silly. Get like that about NHL contributors, not hypotheticals.
Fans already seem mad about the 2024 5th overall pick that they haven’t made :laugh:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I know, we need to have trust in the GM, they are on the right track for this team
Several scouts watching games, filing reports, doing interviews. These guys watch hundreds and hundreds of hours of games, tapes. We fans can have an amateur assessment which makes it fun but to second guess these guys is comical.

Reactions: rahad

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Several scouts watching games, filing reports, doing interviews. These guys watch hundreds and hundreds of hours of games, tapes. We fans can have an amateur assessment which makes it fun but to second guess these guys is comical.
you are right.. we fans are each other's click bait.
Good to hear fans prospective. Keeps things interesting

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I mean we can definitely second guess them lol, scouting is far from an exact science. Look at Vancouver getting outperformed by taking the highest PPG player in the CHL for each pick over a decade.

Most scouts are nepotism hires, it's not like they're trained and licensed like doctors or lawyers.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Let it go Arpon Basu made it clear the Habs did not like Michkov’s game - “lack of completeness

It wasn’t contract, it was Michkov not being the right fit for this team + system

You’re wasting your breath… the Michkov brigade aren’t going to have any of this and stick with the narrative that HuGo are sh*tting themselves and how Michkov is gonna score a bazillion points.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I don't see how Edmonton or Vancouver are going to beat a rested Dallas. Sadly, is probably going to be another American team winning the Stanley cup.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I don't see how Edmonton or Vancouver are going to beat a rested Dallas. Sadly, is probably going to be another American team winning the Stanley cup.

I agree

Edmonton doesnt have the depth or goaltending

Vanvouvers depth now further tested with Boeser and i think will need Demko soon then later as i can Silov will fatigue in my opinion. Also werent lighting the lamp much with Boeser so now without?

Add Dallas is likely the deepest PO team. Most well roundeded team

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You’re wasting your breath… the Michkov brigade aren’t going to have any of this and stick with the narrative that HuGo are sh*tting themselves and how Michkov is gonna score a bazillion points.
The "Michkov brigade" are simply acknowledging that this lack of control regarding Michkov's development that Basu and management had was seemingly all for nothing if he's already coming over. That is separate from what their beliefs are regarding Michkov as a player. Those not part of the "Michkov brigade" were also jumping up and down celebrating when Michkov got scratched in his first game in the KHL, got loaned, and his coming over was contingent on him playing 1st line minutes in the NHL (which has been proven to be a mistranslation).

I don't see the need for hyperbole in both cases with this new news of him coming over, but the issue of being unable to control his development has already seem to have been resolved. Nothing to do in regards to the player, only time will tell which is what most here are saying.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I agree

Edmonton doesnt have the depth or goaltending

Vanvouvers depth now further tested with Boeser and i think will need Demko soon then later as i can Silov will fatigue in my opinion. Also werent lighting the lamp much with Boeser so now without?

Add Dallas is likely the deepest PO team. Most well roundeded team
They did all of this with out cheating (like Vegas and Tampa Bay). They need to win this year. This could be Pavelski last year in the NHL (67pts at the age of 39... wow!)

Wyatt Johnston next contract is going to be huge. Same could be said about Stankoven (if he keep improving).

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Interesting game tonight

Boeser out throws a kink

Apparently Vancouver has their personal ref who they have like an 11-0 record with. Thats just weird no matter how much a coincidence

Skinrash implosion?

McDrai dominance?

Vancouvers unsung heros and comebacks?

Was last game Silov starting to fade or will he bounce back?

Home ice or riot?

And, the other ref, Sutherland, Vancouver has an 0-8-1 record with.

Just Edmonton fans thinking everything is rigged against them.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't see anyone beating Dallas tbh. They eliminated the last two cup champions and maybe Florida can give them a challenge but I don't see the Oilers or Canucks lasting more than 5 games.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

There were a lot of factors besides the contract as far as Michkov goes. The differences between Michkov & Demidov during their draft years is startling.

Michkov: Teams, for whatever reason, didn't get any live viewings or interviews in season, except for Philadelphia.

Demidov: Teams got live viewings & he spoke to scouts. Montreal got at least one live viewing maybe more. Chicago's scout spoke to him in-season.

Michkov: refused to do interviews after season and said everything would happen at the draft then held a secret interview for Philadelphia only, where he toured their facility.

Demidov: Has setup his own combine in Florida, so that he can work out for & interview with interested teams. I assume Montreal will be there.

Michkov: He signed that lengthy contract, which was problematic for some teams. It's a huge unknown. Hindsight is 50/50.

Demidov: has refused to sign an extension so far, and has made it clear he wants to play in NHL.

No one will ever know all the behind scenes play on this, but it seems to me that Michkov set things up so he would be drafted by Philadelphia. Why? No idea. They're hardly the ideal oorganization. They certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm more than happy to draft Demidov, and hope that he's there at #5. He seems like a straight up dude with the way he's handled things.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
There were a lot of factors besides the contract as far as Michkov goes. The differences between Michkov & Demidov during their draft years is startling.

Michkov: Teams, for whatever reason, didn't get any live viewings or interviews in season, except for Philadelphia.

Demidov: Teams got live viewings & he spoke to scouts. Montreal got at least one live viewing maybe more. Chicago's scout spoke to him in-season.

Michkov: refused to do interviews after season and said everything would happen at the draft then held a secret interview for Philadelphia only, where he toured their facility.

Demidov: Has setup his own combine in Florida, so that he can work out for & interview with interested teams. I assume Montreal will be there.

Michkov: He signed that lengthy contract, which was problematic for some teams. It's a huge unknown. Hindsight is 50/50.

Demidov: has refused to sign an extension so far, and has made it clear he wants to play in NHL.

No one will ever know all the behind scenes play on this, but it seems to me that Michkov set things up so he would be drafted by Philadelphia. Why? No idea. They're hardly the ideal oorganization. They certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm more than happy to draft Demidov, and hope that he's there at #5. He seems like a straight up dude with the way he's handled things.

Matvei Lindros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad