Out of town scoreboard part IX: Stanley Cup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Dainius Zubrus, 20 years in NHL, 3 Final appearances. 0 Cups. Shame but good on him for clinging onto a Stanley Cup team to close out his career (most likely). Very impressive career, I bet many players would trade careers with him in order to play twenty seasons.
his penalties were always bad though. last game, his penalty caused a goal. this game, it might have cost them the game and cup, if you want to think about it that way.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
his penalties were always bad though. last game, his penalty caused a goal. this game, it might have cost them the game and cup, if you want to think about it that way.

I thought his penalty this game was bad.

It was the dreaded DOG penalty last game, someone was bound to take that with how badly they were being pinned in.

I'm surprised they didn't take 80000 DOG penalties with how much they were trapped in their end.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Meh. The Sharks would have found another way to lose anyway. Their PP was a joke and they were routinely outplayed through out the series. Even if they had won tonight I don't think they would have won Game 7. Them winning Game 5 was basically like us winning Game 5 against the Kings. It was just postponing the inevitable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This end of playoffs montage is pretty funny.

Forgot all about the Panthers losing to the Islanders in round one. Just saw that joke of a wrap around game winner on Luongo by Tavares. That was the most brutal series to watch this playoffs. I can't believe how much trouble the Panthers had at scoring.

Then the next round, the Lightning destroyed the Islanders in 5 games.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I won the HFBoards bracket league!

100th percentile, overall rank 740.

Still think I can do better. We'll see how high I am next year!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still maintain that Justin Williams, Cam Ward and Giguere are the three most irrelevant Conn Smythe winners of the last 15 years, if not the last 25 or more years.

That's not saying that they didn't deserve it in the respective years they won it. Just that every other Conn Smythe winner had better careers and most are even HOF worthy or already in the HOF. Zetterberg is borderline worthy, he'll just miss out though IMO. Richards is not HOF worthy, though had a better career than Williams, Ward or Giguere. Tim Thomas is not HOF worthy either, just for the fact that he was such a late bloomer and lacks longevity. Though he might have had the best resume of any non-HOF goalie ever. Two amazingly good regular seasons, that most would die for and the 2011 playoffs. He's also got the 2 Vezina's, Ward and Giguere never had a season like either of those two that he had. Vernon and Thomas have the best resume's of any non-HOF goalie. At least in fairly modern times.

Just going back to 1990. Only Ranford, Claude Lemieux and Mike Vernon aren't in the HOF. Lemieux is one of the best players that's not in the HOF. Ranford isn't HOF caliber, Mike Vernon falls just short of it. He did win another cup even before that though. In the 2000's, Stevens, Roy, Lidstrom, Niedermayer all in the HOF. Malkin is on pace to be a HOF'er right now. Toews is well on pace for the HOF. Quick will be the most winning American born goalie of all time, that should get him into the HOF along with his Smythe. He's on pace to beat out Beezer by quite a bit in wins, Beezer is not in. Kane is on pace to be an HOF'er, Keith is probably gonna be in the HOF. Crosby is probably in the HOF after tonight, even if he announces his retirement tomorrow and never plays again.

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
If the Pens can do it then with the right moves maybe there's hope for the NJD someday. Maybe. And lol at PD blowing another Final.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If only this game was played in the opposition's building, we would have heard it tonight.

''Tough building, battled Haaaard'':sarcasm:

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Brad Richards lifting it last year.

Carl Hagelin lifting it last night.

Feels good watching the Rangers rejects.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Brad Richards lifting it last year.

Carl Hagelin lifting it last night.

Feels good watching the Rangers rejects.

And the Pens beat the Rangers, there's at least a small silver lining.

Lesser of two evils to most of us.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't have the hatred for the Pens that I used to. I would rather the Sharks have won obviously, but I'm also happy for Kessel. His first year away from Toronto and he's a huge reason his team wins the Cup. The only real negative is I'm sure the Pens bandwagon will be insufferable now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't have the hatred for the Pens that I used to. I would rather the Sharks have won obviously, but I'm also happy for Kessel. His first year away from Toronto and he's a huge reason his team wins the Cup. The only real negative is I'm sure the Pens bandwagon will be insufferable now.

I'm more annoyed that one of the worst GM's of all time now has 2 cups and Pens fans will also use this as some kind of proof that Shero sucked as a GM and thank god he's out of there. Despite the fact that Shero was behind a lot of this team. You can't say ''Shero lucked into Crosby and Malkin'' and also say ''Shero had very little to do with the 2016 team'' at the same time. You can't have it both ways there.

I think Kessel not winning the Conn Smythe is a conspiracy too, just so many people who said negative things about him can save face.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'm more annoyed that one of the worst GM's of all time now has 2 cups and Pens fans will also use this as some kind of proof that Shero sucked as a GM and thank god he's out of there. Despite the fact that Shero was behind a lot of this team. You can't say ''Shero lucked into Crosby and Malkin'' and also say ''Shero had very little to do with the 2016 team'' at the same time. You can't have it both ways there.

I think Kessel not winning the Conn Smythe is a conspiracy too, just so many people who said negative things about him can save face.

idk if a lot of pens fans think that shero did nothing to help get them this cup, but i haven't seen a lot of their reactions. at the same time, i can see why they would credit rutherford for the cup for the "big" moves he made, aka phil, hagelin, and bonino

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Crosby should not have been given the Conn Smythe.

It was Kessel's.

Sharks fans now have something else in common with us.
They booed the Conn Smythe trophy winner.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Though I wanted the Sharks to win for Zubie and even Pete (not to mention Pavelski, Thornton and Marleau), I'm thrilled Paul Martin still has to wait. Not to mention having his old team beat him for it.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Wasn't really rooting for either team but was hoping the Sharks would show up and at least make it a series. The whole thing was pretty meh and just felt flat overall, didn't really feel like the cup finals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Though I wanted the Sharks to win for Zubie and even Pete (not to mention Pavelski, Thornton and Marleau), I'm thrilled Paul Martin still has to wait. Not to mention having his old team beat him for it.

He was seriously the worst player for the Sharks this series, expectations considered.

You expect Polak and Dillon to be bad, because they aren't very good. Paul Martin is still a pretty good defenseman, so I just can't figure out how he was able to be the Sharks worst player in the series or at least one of them. He was just completely brutal from game 1 all the way to game 6. Game 1 was when he left his man uncovered on the game winning goal, because he was looking up in the stands somewhere for some old Pittsburgh friends.

Pavelski was bad too, but I would bet he had a legit injury.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marleau wasnt good too

He was okay. Most Sharks fans want him gone. He's old and declining, but he's still a decent second liner, provided he doesn't fall off anymore.

I have a hard time giving too many players an F for this final, and I also have just as hard of a time giving out A's. Jones gets an A+. Nothing more that he could do and he outplayed Murray. He might have allowed one bad goal all series long. Couture gets an A from me. I'd probably give Melker Karlsson a B for the way he stepped into Hertl's spot. Hertl I would give an A for the two games he played.

Mostly everyone else gets a C. Polak, Dillon, Martin, Wingels, all F's. I even have a hard time giving Wingels an F. Pavelski gets an F from me for the series, injury news pending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad