Out Of Town Scoreboard IX: Home Stretch

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the Washington-Isles winner has a puncher's chance in round 2 but more than likely their biggest challenge in the East comes in round 3, especially since they'll be well-rested after their round 1 bye :P

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think the Islanders blew it tonight. Not having home ice is going to hurt them.

I don't think they'll be able to beat Washington. They've been on a downward spiral, and a lot of their early victories in the season were in things like the shootout, anyway, which doesn't exist in the playoffs. By contrast, the Capitals have been picking up speed and Ovechkin seems to be a man on a mission. Trotz is also by far the superior coach in my opinion. Islanders had a good run this year making the playoffs, but I don't see them surviving beyond the first round.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I thought for most of the season the Isles would win their first-round series for sure this time, but I also thought they had to keep home-ice in the first round. They would have been a tougher out against the Caps with that home atmosphere to start the series. Now they could be down 0-2 before playing at home.

I don't see much in the way of upsets in the East unless Ottawa trolls the Habs again - with the bracket the way it is now it's probably gonna be Rangers-Lightning/Habs in the ECF.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The guy presenting the trophy said Boston instead of Providence. lol

"Congratulations to Boston.........I mean the Providence Terriers."

1-3, maybe he'll get it right next time.

I missed the tying goal while channel surfing. For those who missed it, Providence dumped it in from center ice and goalie Matt O'Connor gloved it then lost it. Puck then rolled between his legs and in.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

I missed the tying goal while channel surfing. For those who missed it, Providence dumped it in from center ice and goalie Matt O'Connor gloved it then lost it. Puck then rolled between his legs and in.

patrick roy vs avs?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

This makes me sad actually, it's that horrific

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Poor guy. My little brother used to play goalie in hockey, so I can only imagine how horrific that would feel. Going to give the kid nightmares for weeks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This makes me sad actually, it's that horrific

Yeah, as a beer league goalie myself, I like to think I can empathize with him. Sometimes I get annoyed at my teammates when they expect me to be able to play the puck like a pro. Goalie gloves can be pretty bulky and clunky; I've had plenty of adventures on what should be simple transfers in and out of my glove.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Taking the blinders off, this is the Rangers Cup to lose. I've been watching hockey for a long time and as much as I can't stand their ****ing fans and all the theatrics that come along with that franchise, it's unfair to say that they're not the best team in the league. Never mind having the most points, which team plays a more complete game than the Rangers? Outside of injury and beating themselves, I fully expect them to get the job done. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but if you're putting a gun to my head and I have to choose a team to go the distance, they're the one. All day. Pains me to say it, but they're really good and they'll be very deserving of it if they do in fact win it.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap. That said, I'm hoping Crosby and Malkin have the series of their lives and they find a way to stun the **** out of the Rangers.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Sometimes you just have to tip your cap. That said, I'm hoping Crosby and Malkin have the series of their lives and they find a way to stun the **** out of the Rangers.

You know, if anybody can go on a lightning tear and stun the opposing team, it's Crosby and Malkin. Hopefully the Pens figure their stuff out in time for the playoffs so they don't get swept...maybe even ask for a round win? :sarcasm:

Camille the Eel

Yeah I thought for most of the season the Isles would win their first-round series for sure this time, but I also thought they had to keep home-ice in the first round. They would have been a tougher out against the Caps with that home atmosphere to start the series. Now they could be down 0-2 before playing at home.

I don't see much in the way of upsets in the East unless Ottawa trolls the Habs again - with the bracket the way it is now it's probably gonna be Rangers-Lightning/Habs in the ECF.

What hurts the Isles most is the way they lost the game - Halak was dreadful (right after a brilliant night in Pittsburgh) - otherwise starting on the road could take some pressure off them in games one and two. The pressure is on the home team in the opening games (remember Devils vs. Kings). Offsetting that, Trott gets to put Ovechkin and Backstrom against whom he likes. Look for Capuano to be making fast changes.

Does Julien survive as coach for Boston?

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
maybe its just my blind delusion, but i wouldnt count out Pittsburgh giving the Rangers a series. Rags owned them during the season but with Crosby and Malkin....ya never know

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
maybe its just my blind delusion, but i wouldnt count out Pittsburgh giving the Rangers a series. Rags owned them during the season but with Crosby and Malkin....ya never know

Pitts is shot, a sinking ship.
Check out the poll on the Pens board, they have the pulse of their team and it's barely beating.

Season ending injuries to Letang and Maata crushed their chances of doing anything this spring. I don't think Ehrhoff is coming back soon either.
They struggled to beat the worst team in the league last night to even get in.

And Malkin is nowhere near 100% health wise either.
Likely the shortest series in the opening round.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Toronto fires coaching staff and Nonis.

aVZgT.gif

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What hurts the Isles most is the way they lost the game - Halak was dreadful (right after a brilliant night in Pittsburgh) - otherwise starting on the road could take some pressure off them in games one and two. The pressure is on the home team in the opening games (remember Devils vs. Kings). Offsetting that, Trott gets to put Ovechkin and Backstrom against whom he likes. Look for Capuano to be making fast changes.

Does Julien survive as coach for Boston?

No, I think they make a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad