Out of Town Scoreboard 2017-18 season (Mod warning: post #6685 3/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How was Wedgewood worth anything more than a 5th round pick? He probably wasn't even worth a 5th round pick, considering he could have been had for free less than a month ago....

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He isn’t.
I'm certainly not wishing or hoping for him to play poorly, but I can already see him having a .904 save percentage in a month or two and then DD saying it's Arizona, they suck, they make their goalies look worse, Wedge is much better than he's playing.

Although a DD endorsement for a goalie is usually the death knell for them. He was pretty high on Hamburger man and told me he was a late bloomer and not a fluke, currently in the AHL and spent almost all of last year in the AHL also. And Petr Mrazek, now the Red Wings backup and had a really terrible season last year, and another 4 games of identically poor play this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL nice!

Can someone please tell me why Brian Elliott plays so much? I don't wanna ask the Flyers board, since they might think I'm trolling and I'm sure it's a sore subject over there already, with how poorly he's played.

I mean, he's played 8 games, he's one more bad game away from having Louis Domingue type numbers (.884 save percentage). SOMEHOW, he's actually won 5 games and only lost 2 in regulation and 1 in OT, with these hideous numbers. And the eye test confirms it the nasty, awful performance on the spreadsheet. The first goal tonight, he allowed one of the worst rebounds that I've seen all year. He at least deserved a secondary assist on that one, since he was the third guy to pass the puck before the goal was scored. And the Perlini goal on the PP that made the Coyotes go ahead 3-0 early in the 3rd period? This puck really can't go in when it's 2-0.

Why does this jabroni get so much ice time when the other guy has a .925? Hakstol, who is another one of these ''Play not to lose'' coaches, must also be another one of these ''The goalie that wins, is automatically better and gets the most starts'', as Neuvirth has a 1-3-0 record, despite having a far superior save percentage and a GAA of 0.93 fewer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Or maybe the Philadelphia young blue line isn't as good (yet) as they're saying.
Or maybe, Elliott is not good unless he has a strong blue line/team system?

that’s what everyone says about bad goaltenders. How do you explain Neuvirth at a .925?

Even Steve Mason was below average last year, but not terrible. I know it’s only 8 games, but Elliott has been allowing roughly two piss poor goals per game. Those piss poor goals are stoppable shots whether he plays behind a good blue line or a terrible one. And Elliott FAILS the eye test right now, which completely corroborates the hideous inadequate numbers.

There are bad goaltenders in the league. Some of them play behind terrible teams, which shouldn’t absolve them of any blame. Some great goaltenders play behind terrible teams (Cory in 2013-2016) Luongo in Florida the first time. Carey Price, this year not included. Lundqvist played behind some bad defense’s back when he was good. Just like bad goaltenders sometimes play for good teams, and get credited for more than they really should. There are bad goaltenders and Elliott has been below average (at best) for every NHL season that Hitchcock wasn’t behind the bench.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well I'm not defending Elliot, just saying it's not all on a goalie.
When a goalie has a save percentage that terrible, the eye test usually confirms it. Just look at Scott Darling the night before. He's looking like a bad pickup so far, but all 3 goals he allowed in that game were stoppable.

When a goalie has a .90-something (Elliott would feel elite if he had that right now) save percentage over a significant amount of games played, all you gotta do is analyze some of the goals they allow and you'll see that there's some holes and some things he's doing wrong. I saw it in Cory last year, I saw it in Marty in his last few seasons, I saw it in Kinkaid in 15-16 when he had a poor season. Now this don't mean that if a guy allows 5 goals on 32 shots one game, that he necessarily played poorly that night. He may have had no chance on any of those goals. And that usually catches up to him another night, where his play on paper looks good, but he fails the eye test. I feel like Cory played that way on Saturday night, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he has a game where he allows 4 goals on 22 shots, where he has zero chance on any of them. It usually evens out. Every goaltender allows bad goals sometimes, but the guys that have these middling or mediocre numbers, usually are allowing them at a much higher frequency than the guys who have the sparkly and sexy numbers.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Got this off Facebook lol

22852081_10154915644921937_80496869053138083_n.jpg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL!

I remember when he was in for our first win in 5 tries that season against the Blue Jackets in 2016. That was his first start in the NHL. I remember being really annoyed at how many times we had lost or even gotten blown out by them that year, and they were terrible.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
LOL!

I remember when he was in for our first win in 5 tries that season against the Blue Jackets in 2016. That was his first start in the NHL. I remember being really annoyed at how many times we had lost or even gotten blown out by them that year, and they were terrible.

Wedge shut Pitts out too.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i wonder - if this trade waited 2 days, could we have ripped mcphee off for something? granted, that means schneider wouldn't have played them, since we wouldn't be able to activate him, but man are they desperate now. their AHL team has no goalie prospect that's their property.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
LOL!

Wedgewood cost us Clayton Keller! :scared:

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Rookie of the year is Keller's to lose now.

Now you guys know why I and a few others were so high on him prior to that draft.

Some were comparing him to Jost but to me it was easy to see that he was going to be way better.

Too bad Ray couldn't find a partner to trade up to snag him.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I wanted Keller SO bad here but had little hope he would fall that far. Which is surprising considering lots of projections leading up to the draft had him falling right to where we picked. He gained momentum and attention late that gave him a boost in the rankings. He's very skilled and smart.

In other news, I hate to see Vegas floundering in net because they really need to do us a solid tonight and down the rags. Not because of standings, projected standings...but just because...Rangers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah basically the entire board had a pre-draft lovefest for Keller, but it was only going to be 50-50 at best that he would get to us.

In other news, I hate to see Vegas floundering in net because they really need to do us a solid tonight and down the rags. Not because of standings, projected standings...but just because...Rangers.

Too bad we don't have another Wedgewood to trade them :P

Reactions: mtnet

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Rookie of the year is Keller's to lose now.

Now you guys know why I and a few others were so high on him prior to that draft.

Some were comparing him to Jost but to me it was easy to see that he was going to be way better.

Too bad Ray couldn't find a partner to trade up to snag him.

What a completely premature statement to make.

Bratt is only 3 points behind and has played two fewer games. Hell Butcher is only two points behind with two fewer games.

Serge and Boeser are also right in the thick of it and it wouldn’t take much for Nico and McAvoy to catch up in a hurry either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad