GDT: Out of Town Playoffs III - To the Conference Finals, and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Go Rangers :handclap:

To reiterate, MMB laid it out last thread:

Please be advised. We will not tolerate the cheering of injuries on the boards.

Please also avoid sweeping attacks on entire fanbases.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
_45264566_priest2.226.jpg

I met a few decent Hab fans in my time on Earth.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
As a hockey fan, I've always been proud of the NHL's ability to pull in casual sports fans for the playoffs. So many people have said playoff hockey is so compelling they can't not watch. And then you watch clowns like Plekanec and Subban pulling their ridonkulous acts and it's frankly embarrassing. I suppose people will still watch, but instead of appreciating world-class athleticism, it's like rubbernecking a car wreck.

Oh well. Here's to Lundqvist rebounding and the Rangers taking it at home.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Personally, I don`t mind the habs going to the finals, can`t stand their antics at times but at least the city I live in is alive. The Bruins should have destroyed both these teams.

Turk 16

May 3, 2011
South Shore, MA
As a hockey fan, I've always been proud of the NHL's ability to pull in casual sports fans for the playoffs. So many people have said playoff hockey is so compelling they can't not watch. And then you watch clowns like Plekanec and Subban pulling their ridonkulous acts and it's frankly embarrassing. I suppose people will still watch, but instead of appreciating world-class athleticism, it's like rubbernecking a car wreck.

Oh well. Here's to Lundqvist rebounding and the Rangers taking it at home.

I don't understand why they don't start handing out fines and suspensions (for repeat offenders) for embellishing. I can understand how refs may miss it in realtime given how fast the game is played, but the replays of dives like Plekanec and Subban's (and, it must be admitted, Marchand's bad leg routine against the Wings) are indeed embarrassing. In fact, they're infuriating.

Hope next season the NHL takes a much tougher stance on this.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Maybe this is petty of me (ok, it probably is) but I'd rather not START a new thread with jokes aimed at children. It's just going to get worse and snowball into a stupid slap fight.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
We can't poke fun at our rivals on the Bruins board? I understand if it's the mainboard, or inappropriate, but I can't see how that's so offensive.

Don't see how it's going to turn into a fight when we're all joking in agreement. (not challenging authority, I'm just trying to understand what is and isn't kosher)

pie19

Aug 23, 2006
Billerica
I'm sorry, but the only reason I'm cheering so bad for the Habs to lose is because of the media and fan base and the traditional rivalry, and (I admit jealousy), of the Habs past domination of the Bruins.
I think the team(the players) is amazingly resilient and it aggravates me, but I gotta give it to them. A couple of irritating guys, but every team's got them. I swear it's the staunch defense of their boys and over-sensitivity of Montreal fans that drives our dislike more than the actual players.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm sorry, but the only reason I'm cheering so bad for the Habs to lose is because of the media and fan base and the traditional rivalry, and (I admit jealousy), of the Habs past domination of the Bruins.
I think the team(the players) is amazingly resilient and it aggravates me, but I gotta give it to them. A couple of irritating guys, but every team's got them. I swear it's the staunch defense of their boys and over-sensitivity of Montreal fans that drives our dislike more than the actual players.

In Massachusetts, I don't come into contact with many Hab fans. I avoid the main board and only occasionally read the Habs board, so my hatred for them is primarily player based. Hate their style of play, hate how gutless they are, just hate everything about their organIzation.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't understand why they don't start handing out fines and suspensions (for repeat offenders) for embellishing. I can understand how refs may miss it in realtime given how fast the game is played, but the replays of dives like Plekanec and Subban's (and, it must be admitted, Marchand's bad leg routine against the Wings) are indeed embarrassing. In fact, they're infuriating.

Sorry, but I disagree about Marchand. Watch the slo-mo and you can see his leg twist unnaturally. Besides, Occam's Razor says if he's going to fake it, he would have grabbed the knee that appeared to have been hit.

Anyway, I believe that for fines and/or suspensions to be instituted, that is something the NHL and NHLPA will have to agree on.

I don't always blame officials for failing to call embellishment because the game happens at lightning speed and they don't have the benefit of different camera angles and slo-mo replay. And players are always falling; was it a trip, a dive or just losing an edge?

What I would propose is what is already being done regarding dangerous hits - watching for embellishment in New York, and handing out suspensions (fines aren't enough, unless they want to start there and work up to suspensions for repeat offenders) after the fact. That would clean things up fast, IMO.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Haha not really. The habs are a bunch of jerks. Subban with his on ice antics and then post game apologises (didn't mean to hit Bergeron, didn't mean to duck Thornton, etc) and fans buying those apologises at face value. Plekanec making a mockery of the game (penalty box drama queen, head snap back etc) and Markov the biggest fake tough guy out there (reminds me of Hamerlik). Then you got Emelin, Galagher, Weiss, White, Prust, MaxPac, Moen. I think that's their strategy lol, annoy the other team into losing their composure. And their fans support this garbage cause they are sooo desperate for success. They willingly cheer on just so they can win the cup after 2 decades of futility.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

You trying too hard to be objective. Marchand actually got hit hard. Doesn't matter what leg he was favoring after. Nothing like snapping your head back from an invisible stick.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

If that's your reason, that's fine, but don't say it's what drives "our" dislike. The Montreal fans are maddening, but so are a lot of their players.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
**** the Habs !!!!

Wally, you put it succintly and 100% true. I've never seen a team and fan base disgust me more than the present-day version of the Montreal Canadiens. At least, when I first started watching them they had Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Yvon Cornyer (whose name I can't even spell), Serge Savard, JC Tremblay. All players you could respect even though you hated the uniform. What do you we have now: Plekanic, Weise, PK Louganis, er I mean Subban and a host of others that sicken me when I watch them. Is there a single Canadiens player worthy of anything but contempt ? There are HF Canadien fans I do respect but their team is the armpit of the NHL.

Turk 16

May 3, 2011
South Shore, MA
Wally, you put it succintly and 100% true. I've never seen a team and fan base disgust me more than the present-day version of the Montreal Canadiens. At least, when I first started watching them they had Jean Beliveau, Henri Richard, Yvon Cornyer (whose name I can't even spell), Serge Savard, JC Tremblay. All players you could respect even though you hated the uniform. What do you we have now: Plekanic, Weise, PK Louganis, er I mean Subban and a host of others that sicken me when I watch them. Is there a single Canadiens player worthy of anything but contempt ? There are HF Canadien fans I do respect but their team is the armpit of the NHL.

Yeah, I don't remember the great Habs teams of the 70s diving and taunting the way the modern version does. Of course, back then they were faster and more skilled than almost everybody else so they didn't need to resort to these games to draw penalties.

Somehow I hate them more watching the Rangers series than I did when they played us. Maybe watching with more objectivity now, I dunno. :shakehead

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore

It's difficult to take a tougher stance on it because only the player knows if there was embellishment or not. Plekanec yesterday and Marchand against the wings were obvious ones, but most of the time, there is somewhat of a gray area.

Then again, they could give out suspensions for the obvious ones, I guess.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Lundqvist was Awfull yesterday. We'll see if he can rebound next game and eliminate these losers or if he'll suck again and give them life and a game 7 in Lala Land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad