Line Combos: Out of curiosity...

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
We know of Turris's success with Ryan and MacArthur. Do you think Spezza would perform better with them both over Turris?

Maybe Michalek was just what made the chemistry between Spezza and Ryan fail. Thoughts?

Not saying I wanna break up the great line of Turris, Mac and Ryan.

MacArthur - Spezza - Ryan
Michalek - Turris - Zibanejad (Dat Defense)
Greening - Smith - Neil
Condra - Grant - Conacher

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
If it is working then don't change it.

I'm aware of this, but in the long run, I would rather get Spezza develops chemistry with Ryan. I wouldn't wanna change Turris being their center right now. Just wondering if Spezza would do a better job than Turris.

Having someone like Mac fight on the boards to retrieve the puck to Spezza and dishing it out to Ryan for the goal would be epic.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I would like to find two other line mates that work with Spezza. Have two legit scoring lines will help us if we ever want to contend.

Last edited:

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I'd love the return to form the Greening-Spezza-Michalek line, then that'd leave a nice 2nd line.

Lets face it, Greening is not gonna be in the lineup much longer unless he starts to perform. Only getting 12+ minutes on average and under a shot / game. 3 assists in 17 games with 16 shots isn't what I expect from someone who just signed an 2.65m/3 year extention. I'd much rather get Stone, Hoffman , Pageau or Prince in his spot... That's just me.

Or maybe Michalek - Turris - Ryan? Anything to get Michalek going.

Milan the God*

Probably not. Turris and Mac compliment each other well, and then Ryan adds a lethal offensive threat to the line.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
I'd love the return to form the Greening-Spezza-Michalek line, then that'd leave a nice 2nd line.

Im hoping for this as well. Imagine having to defend againstv speedyTurris linee and when they come off you got 2 big speedy wingers and a playmaking center to defend against after . Thats kind of nightmare for most teams.

Hopefully maclean tries the greening-spezza-michalek line again

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
spezza and ryan where bumping into each other in the offensive end. that adjustment is huge and would take a long time if it where to happen at all. i'd rather not have those two together.

despite greening's disappointing season thus far, i would like the greening - spezza - michalek to play with each other for a few games. if that line can get clicking, we'll have a good thing going. we can always swap greening out for zibby (like i think i've been seeing a little bit) on that line.

macarthur - turris - ryan
michalek - spezza - zibby (or the wingers flipped. whatever they're more comfortable with)
greening - smith - neil (i know they were awful together early, but smith has been quite good recently.)
conacher - grant - condra (potential hidden scoring line. would at least be a good possession line.)
kassian

did i forget anyone (besides hoffman, da costa, pageau, and stone :sarcasm:)?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Conacher-smith-neil has looks great at times, greening-s-n is always sh**
Spezza just needs to play simple and get rolling, then it doesn't matter who plays with him. Turris line is too good now to mess with.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
All 3 are good along the boards and in the cycle game. That really hasn't been Spezza's game. He is strongest in transition but at times can dominate on the cycle just not often enough.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Greening - Spezza - Michalek <- has worked in the past
Mac - Turris - Ryan <- don't touch it!
Conacher - Smith - Ziba <- get Smith away from the plugs, build a 3rd good line, put Ziba with the hard workers
Condra - Grant - Neil <- the rest

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I think we need to use some of our young offensive call ups to play with Spezza.

1. They will come up motivated and driven to succeed and playing them with Spezza gives them even more of a boost.

2. They will be playing on the second line rather then the first so competition level won't be nearly as bad as playing with Spezza before.

3. Scratch some vets that need a kick in the ass.

4. If they don't work out right away it will have been no different then continuing with the status quo, send them back down.

5. Everyone likes shiny prospects :P

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel like with the MacArthur - Turris - Ryan line you're getting something where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts so to speak...their chemistry is off the charts (or so it seems) through the first 17 games of the season. Breaking them up could see diminished returns from every player involved.

As I've said before...it would be much better to just get a winger that can drive possession on the Spezza line to help him. While Spezza is a good complementary possession player there should be another one on his line for him to truly be effective as an offensive catalyst (at least while he's not fully healthy). There are a bunch out there right now that could probably be had for cheaper than normal or are in a good spot in their careers to contribute in that way for Spezza.

Voracek is a guy worth looking at in Philly right now with their struggles and his specific skillset. Michalek - Spezza - Voracek would be nice.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't touch Mac-Turris-Ryan.

It's a bad idea to mess with something that's working, and that is the best line we've iced in years.

While this line is true if you look at the actual dominance of the line as a whole, and it might seem a little crazy, it's...so far...been the best line we've ever iced. Their combination of possession, scoring, and puck support in the offensive zone (as well as a touch of physicality) puts it over the Pizza line IMO. Obviously it's really early to proclaim that and they'd have to at least continue their current level of dominance over the full season...but that's just how good they've been.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Spezza would produce more points with MacArthur and Ryan.

Spezza would produce more points than Turris with Macarthur and Ryan because Turris would have crappy linemates.

Having said that, I think I would rather have Spezza struggling at a PPG pace with crappy linemates than having Turris go on long scoring drought like he did last year.

The Turris line is producing. Don't touch it. Find linemates for Spezz.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
While this line is true if you look at the actual dominance of the line as a whole, and it might seem a little crazy, it's...so far...been the best line we've ever iced. Their combination of possession, scoring, and puck support in the offensive zone (as well as a touch of physicality) puts it over the Pizza line IMO. Obviously it's really early to proclaim that and they'd have to at least continue their current level of dominance over the full season...but that's just how good they've been.

It's certainly a fair discussion to have if they can keep this up. The Pizza line was ridiculously dangerous offensively, but these guys play a different style that appears to fit each other (and Maclean's possession system) pretty much perfectly.

Not too shabby for a bust, a cast-off and a spare part. Some quality asset management there (along with a healthy dose of luck).

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Seems way to drastic but I would still be tempted in trying to make Spezza and Ryan work.

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan (Dream line if they could mesh)
MacArthur - Turris - Conacher (Proven that this works)

Zibanejad fits better with Spezza than Turris, Conacher fits better with Turris than Spezza. Zibanejad and Conacher on third line together with Smith GOLD :nod: Lose Greening for Hemsky ??? Hemsky could be the missing piece in the top 6 ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad