Line Combos: Out of curiosity...

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Don't touch it.

I think Turris might be better with MacArthur and Ryan then Spezza would be. They just suit each other all perfectly. I think that Spezza is STILL a better player then Turris and better offensively, however that doesn't mean that Spezza centering MacArthur and Ryan would produce more points.

Last year Turris was with Alfredsson. Alfie slowed down the play and Turris had a lot of success with him, especially defensively. Offensively this year we are seeing how great it is for Turris to have attack first wingers who don't slow it down as soon as they reach the offensive zone. MacArthur has speed and MacArthur and Ryan just relentlessly attack the net. That works for ALL THREE. Spezza likes to slow it down and make sweet cerebral plays. That was the bread and butter of the classic Pizza line. They didn't really attack you, as much as they passed in perfect unison and set up shots for Heatley or Alfie or Spezza.

Spezza simply would work better with different wingers then Turris. What Turris's line has now is magic, and it has been every game! Why change it? Even in games they don't get points, they play awesome and have possession and chances and are good at both ends.

Spezza is STILL the best forward on the team IMO. He hasn't played that well, hasn't had linemates he gelled with and had to take a game off, so might not be 100% and he still has a PPG! Plus he is doing awesome on the PK. Regardless of who Spezza plays with, his line is dangerous to score, even in games where the line isn't playing that well, gets hemmed in the zone etc.... All Spezza needs is a couple of great moments and he produces a couple of points. Eventually Maclean will find the right linemates that have chemistry with Spezza (NOT MACARTHUR OR RYAN!) and the Spezza line will dominate possession in most games, be sound defensively most of the time and produce even more offense for the wingers and Spezza himself. It is going to happen, might be next game, might be in 3 weeks or 6 weeks... but it will happen.

Once Condra comes back we can get down to deciding the bottom 2 lines and Spezza line more consistently. The fact Turris's line is so fantastic and Karlsson has come on, gives us the latitiude to still sort out the lines.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Why would you even entertain the idea of altering the best line we have?

As has been mentioned before, Spezza will get loose (eventually) no matter who he's with. He still demands attention from opposing coaches in terms of matching, so let's exploit that, shall we?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Spezza literally just needs a guy who knows how to go to the soft spots and has a bullet shot.

Basically, a non-washed up version of Dany Heatley. Idk who's out there that fits that mould, but we need to get one. Michalek has a decent shot, but doesn't have much of a one timer, and doesn't have the hockey IQ to find himself in the right spots.

Spezza needs to stay away from CMac and Ryan, because he's simply the best at doing the most with the least. He even said himself that he's more than fine with it if it means team success.

Stick with the Turris line, and continue shuffling the deck until someone sticks with Spezza.

All I really want for Christmas is Zib-Spezza-Conacher to get some regular shifts. Zib has a great one timer and Conacher has a nose for the net. I think with enough time to work things out, that line would work.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

And the winner is :handclap: But I do think he needs a couple of months in the AHL injury free and then you need to hope he can keep up with the pace of the NHL. It's also the reason Zibanejad is a decent fit on this line and Im not so sure Conacher is. The only way Conacher on this line works is if Michalek becomes more of the trigger man and Conacher just creates havoc.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
If this team wants to go anywhere, it needs to have both top lines playing well. Spezza's line has been garbage all season. I don't care that he's a ppg. I think that Turris would do fine with Michalek and Zibanejad. Putting Spezza with MacArthur and Ryan is definitely worth a 2 game experiment. If it works, great. If it doesn't, we can go back to being a one line team.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's such a piss off that Greening-Spezza-Michalek was actually an okay 1st line in the past, and now they're not even good enough to be a second line...

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Don't change that line at all. The Sens have Jason Spezza centering their second line right now. Let that sink in.

Pretty awesome if you think about it.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Keep the Turris line together, and groom Zibby to play alongside Spezza. Michalek is a stop-gap for now. If he can turn it around, great; if not, then we'll be replacing him next offseason anyway.

Toss Conacher on the third line with Smith and Neil, since that line's been pretty effective together.

Use the fourth line to give call-ups an opportunity to get a taste in the NHL (like they're doing with Grant). Hope that a Greening-call-up-Condra line can be as effective as the Greening-Pageau-Condra line was last season.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
All I really want for Christmas is Zib-Spezza-Conacher to get some regular shifts. Zib has a great one timer and Conacher has a nose for the net. I think with enough time to work things out, that line would work.

What I like about this setup is that both Conacher and Zibanejad are young guys with lots of potential who I think would greatly benefit from playing with someone who has been in the league for over a decade. I think they could learn a lot.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Keep the Turris line together, and groom Zibby to play alongside Spezza. Michalek is a stop-gap for now. If he can turn it around, great; if not, then we'll be replacing him next offseason anyway.

Toss Conacher on the third line with Smith and Neil, since that line's been pretty effective together.

Use the fourth line to give call-ups an opportunity to get a taste in the NHL (like they're doing with Grant). Hope that a Greening-call-up-Condra line can be as effective as the Greening-Pageau-Condra line was last season.

Your hired :):)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Michalek - Spezza - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Grant - Zibanejad
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Spezza is playing worse than turris, Mac and ryan. At least worse when it comes to possession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad