Out of all of the $10M+ contracts present today, how many players are ACTUALLY worth $10M+?

How many players are worth $10M+?

• Total voters

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just McDavid.

I think there are guys making less than 10 who I think could be worth it. Hedman comes to mind, in TB. I would rather give him 10m than try to replace him. I think the difference he makes w/r/t winning vs. losing couldn't be replaced with the cap space.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Looking at the play during their 10M contracts I would say
Yes:
Eichel, Kane, Matthews, McDavid, Panarin
No:
The rest. Some might have been worth it at one point but not after/during their 10M contracts

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Worth and value are two different things.

One's worth is whatever another party is willing to pay. So in this case, all 10+ million players have been worth their contracts.

That doesn't mean their value matches that.

For example, let's say Stock A is trading for $100 a share. If the buyers match this price, then the stock is worth that much.

But Stock B, trading for $90, may have higher future potential for return-on-investment and success, and therefore represents the greater value.

The concept of worth vs. value is even more pronounced in a salary-cap league.

You pay someone $10 million under the belief and motive that they will help your team accomplish its goals. But sometimes $10 million worth compromises the value of the contract, because it actually makes it less likely that you will achieve your goals (ie. have a positive return-on-investment), due to cost constraints in other positions.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
McDavid
Draisatl
Panarin
Kucherov
Hedman
Vasilevsky
Matthews
Kane

I know TB trio and Draisatl are not paid 10M or more but they would be worth it

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Funny how Matthews is worth 10, but not Marner, when Marner had more pts than Matthews and basically same playoff pts.
Funny how you would frame Marner having 1 more point in more regular season games played as him just straight up outscoring Matthews, but Matthews having 1 more point in the same number of playoff games is basically the same performance. Matthews is a much better player, and it's pretty obvious

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Realistically I'd say the top 10 are worth 10m

McDavid
Draisaitl
Kucherov
Pastrnak
Marchand
Matthews
MacKinnon
Barkov
Kane

(Calm down Leafers, it's not in order)

No goalie is worth that much. Closest would be Hellebuyck
Panarin…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
In order from highest paid to lowest paid - and assuming this is specifically for next year only, vs for the life of contract:

McDavid -
Yes, worth it. Pretty obvious
Panarin - Also yes. Pace of 113 points over 82 games past 2 seasons. I worry in the long-term he might decline before end of contract, but not a huge risk, he's still not too old.
Matthews - Yes. Good age, super consistent since day 1, no worries. Not as good as McDavid or anything - but in terms of ability + expected future consistency, he's worth it today and moving forward
Karlsson - Nope. I've been saying for 2 years he'll certainly bounce back, and he hasn't come close to. In his current form, he's barely even worth half of that. Maybe he still bounces back, but it seems unlikely.
Doughty - Nope. He had a better season last year, but overall it's a few disappointing seasons in a row. Maybe if Kings have a strong year he'll shine through again, but until that happens, nope. Maybe ~7-8M$. I do think he can bounce back though, but until he does it's no.
Tavares - Nope. Not far though. He plays 2C vs 1C in Toronto - I think if he were on a different team and if he played 1C he could put up ppg+ numbers still. I like his consistency and reliability. So i'll say no, but just barely.
Marner - Yes. Last 3 years paced for 94, 93 and 100 points. Super consistent scorer - are there 5 scorers in league who have been more consistent in past 3 years? I know there's concerns for playoffs, but he's hardly the only one in this list (Matthews/McDavid too). So to me - ~95+point player is worth 10M, so yes.
Kane - Yes. Very consistent high end scorer recent years. He's getting up there in age, so it's bound to become "no" soon. But for now, and until he declines, yes. His playoff track record certainly helps too, because even if he loses a step in season, if you make playoffs you know he'll be able to perform.
Toews - Nope. Pretty obvious. Maybe he comes back super strong, but I don't think so. If he comes back next year and has a reasonably good year, I'd say maybe ~8M$ or so, but doesn't produce enough for 10M in my opinion.
Price - Yes. Look at what he just did the past 2 playoffs. I know most will say no - but they will simply be wrong. Matthews, McDavid, Marner...none of them managed to be differentiators for their teams in playoffs. Price did, and was spectacular. Is he worth 10M$ right now because of it? Absolutely. Is he worth 10M$ for the life of his contract? That's a lot more tricky. Once a goalie declines, his value goes to almost 0, because having a lot of $$ for a backup is pointless. But for right now - 100% yes.
Bob - lol no. Speaking of declining goalies. He's essentially worthless. He's paid to be the #1 elite starter his team can rely in. He's lost a step, and has therefore become useless. It's not like a forward where if you can't produce 90 points anymore, producing 70 is still good. With goalies, you're either elite, or you're not. He sucked in season, and was even worst in playoffs.
Kopitar - This one is tough....going to say no. I'll lump him in with Tavares. Close, but no. Maybe others will disagree, close though
Eichel - Yes. Assuming his injuries aren't going to impact him too much, because otherwise of course that could change. But aside from that, super talented, much like Matthews very consistent so no worries paying him 10M$ today + for life of contract.

So I guess out of 13 players making 10m+ going into next year, I believe only 7 are worth it, with 2 others being quite close.

If you expanded the question to ask how many NHL players overall are worthy of 10m+, the answers climbs to more than 10 very easily. Guys like Mack, Drai, etc etc easily worth it.

Seems fair although I’d say Tavares and Kopi are yes.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
From a team standpoint, no player is worth 10mil AAV.

From a skill standpoint, there are quite a few worth 10mil+

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
As a fan of a team who owns 3 almost-11M per season cap hits, I think all of them individually are 11M players in this league, the talent is undeniable. The question is how many 10M+ cap hits can 1 team afford at the expense of balance and depth.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Stealing @bobholly39 format

McDavid - Yes

Panarin - Biased yes, I think he's worth his pay.

Matthews - easily

Karlsson - Nope. He was before the contract but not lately.

Doughty - Nope.

Tavares - Nope. He's not someone you win with, he shouldn't get paid like it

Marner - No way Jose. Regular season yes, playoffs def no.

Kane - Yes. Easily.

Toews - Maybe? Cup wins mean yes but lately no.

Price - overall no. When he's on his game yes but way too inconsistent.

Bob - Obvious no.

Kopitar - Easy yes.

Eichel - Yes.

Before I broke it down I though maybe 2-4 but once I looked at each name it's closer to 6-7 for me.

Price is consistently elite in the playoffs, arguably the best playoff goalie of our generation given the shit teams he has in front of him.

Regular season is for fun, Price shows up when it matters.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Doughty is only 31? Hmm

Anyways, 5 max 6. Kane, Kopitar, Matthews, McDavid, Panarin... Maybe Eichel

Noone else is close but there are some making less that deserve more

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Funny how you would frame Marner having 1 more point in more regular season games played as him just straight up outscoring Matthews, but Matthews having 1 more point in the same number of playoff games is basically the same performance. Matthews is a much better player, and it's pretty obvious

I wouldn't worry too much about it. These are our opinions, he's entitled to think Marner is worth as much or more than Matthews, but he'd be still be wrong :D

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like to look at whether a player is worth it more in terms of whether where they rank in overall salary compares to where they rank in overall production (forwards) or overall .. erm ... status where they rank among other defensemen (defense). Players I don't think are worth their $10+ million contract are the ones who get paid a lot higher relative to their peers than their on-ice play is relative to their peers.

For instance, if you're being paid like a top 5 forward and you produce like a top 5 forward, then you're worth it. But if you're being paid like a top 5 forward and produce like a forward outside of the top 10, top 15, then you're not. Similar for defensemen. If you get paid like a top 5 defenseman but when the annual Norris trophy voting comes around you're never in or near the top 5 in votes, then you're not worth it.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
From a team standpoint, no player is worth 10mil AAV.

From a skill standpoint, there are quite a few worth 10mil+
The Lightning, Penguins, and Capitals have won 5 of the last 6 cups with a player making $9.5M. You don't believe it's possible for another player to be worth even 500-750k more from a team standpoint than Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Malkin or Ovechkin? Malkin's 9.5M in 2016 is equivalent to 10.84M today.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As a fan of a team who owns 3 almost-11M per season cap hits, I think all of them individually are 11M players in this league, the talent is undeniable. The question is how many 10M+ cap hits can 1 team afford at the expense of balance and depth.
So far the answer is none, if the goal is to win a Cup.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Lightning, Penguins, and Capitals have won 5 of the last 6 cups with a player making $9.5M. You don't believe it's possible for another player to be worth even 500-750k more from a team standpoint than Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Malkin or Ovechkin? Malkin's 9.5M in 2016 is equivalent to 10.84M today.
That 500k could mean keeping a dearth play at 2.5 instead of lòsing him because he won’t take only 2. How much more depth do the Leafs have if their top three guys are paid 27 instead of 33?

Reactions: J T Money

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
OP said of the guys making $10m+, how many deserve it. You can plainly see many here are just counting up how many players they think deserve it, regardless of their current salary. Obviously those are going to be very different answers.

Realistically I'd say the top 10 are worth 10m

McDavid
Draisaitl
Kucherov
Pastrnak
Marchand
Matthews
MacKinnon
Barkov
Kane

(Calm down Leafers, it's not in order)

No goalie is worth that much. Closest would be Hellebuyck

Guy doesn't even know that Panarin is one of the top 5 players in the league.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
That 500k could mean keeping a dearth play at 2.5 instead of lòsing him because he won’t take only 2. How much more depth do the Leafs have if their top three guys are paid 27 instead of 33?
Sure? This also applies to 9.5M contracts, or 8.5M contracts, or 7M contracts. I'm also not talking about the Leafs and I said earlier I think Matthews is the only guy they have over 10M that's worth it. What I'm saying is that we have 5/6 recent cup winners that won with a 9.5M cap hit and I just don't think the idea that it's flatly impossible for another player to be worth just 5% more money to his team makes any sense. There are players in this league who are easily 5% more valuable to their teams than 2017-18 Ovechkin for example.

That's before even adjusting for cap percentage Penguins won back to back with a 9.5M player under a 71.4 and 73M cap, and then the Capitals with a 9.538M player under a 75M cap. Under today's 81.5M cap that's equivalent to 10.84M, 10.6M, and 10.365M. Crosby's initial 8.7M back in 2009? Equivalent to 12.5M today. I just don't really get why the 10M cutoff is so important to people, it's just a round number when what actually matters is the contract as a percentage of the cap. 10M is 12.27% of the cap, plenty of teams have won with their highest paid players around that cap%.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sure? This also applies to 9.5M contracts, or 8.5M contracts, or 7M contracts. I'm also not talking about the Leafs and I said earlier I think Matthews is the only guy they have over 10M that's worth it. What I'm saying is that we have 5/6 recent cup winners that won with a 9.5M cap hit and I just don't think the idea that it's flatly impossible for another player to be worth just 5% more money to his team makes any sense. There are players in this league who are easily 5% more valuable to their teams than 2017-18 Ovechkin for example.

That's before even adjusting for cap percentage Penguins won back to back with a 9.5M player under a 71.4 and 73M cap, and then the Capitals with a 9.538M player under a 75M cap. Under today's 81.5M cap that's equivalent to 10.84M, 10.6M, and 10.365M. Crosby's initial 8.7M back in 2009? Equivalent to 12.5M today. I just don't really get why the 10M cutoff is so important to people, it's just a round number when what actually matters is the contract as a percentage of the cap. 10M is 12.27% of the cap, plenty of teams have won with their highest paid players around that cap%.

I agree that I don't think it's as cut and dried as "can't win a Cup with a $10 million player". I think it's more a couple of things:

1-It's incredibly difficult to build a Cup winner with multiple $10+ million players.
2-If you do have a player making that much, he better actually perform at a level that offsets having a lack of depth.

Reactions: J T Money

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I agree that I don't think it's as cut and dried as "can't win a Cup with a $10 million player". I think it's more a couple of things:

1-It's incredibly difficult to build a Cup winner with multiple $10+ million players.

2-If you do have a player making that much, he better actually perform at a level that offsets having a lack of depth.
Of course, and this is basically what I'm getting at anyway. Currently it's 12.27% of the cap, that's a lot but plenty of teams have won with more than that tied up in one player. Crosby in 2009 was equivalent to 12.5M, Chara in 2011 equivalent to 10.3ish, Niedermayer and Pronger equivalent to 12.5M and 11.5M in 2007, etc. I don't think there's any problem having Eichel, Matthews, McDavid, or Panarin at a cap percentage in line with those guys from the past, and the Ducks did it with two guys above that money. They just have to actually be franchise players.

I was just responding directly to someone saying that nobody is worth 10M from a team standpoint. That just doesn't make sense to me, I just think it's silly to essentially say it's impossible for a player to be 5% more valuable than any of the 9.5M guys were when they won cups, especially with the cap hit% stuff I mentioned where a 10M contact is taking up a smaller fraction of the cap than Malkin/Ovechkin did in 2016-18.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

When I watch the Leafs, there are lots of things that make Marner stand out more to me, and they both have games where they are kind of quiet out there. He is certainly not much better, and the pt production for their careers show this. I think Matthews is the far better goal scorer, but Marner is much better playmaker and I also think he is more responsible in his own end of the rink than Matthews. I think Matthews being the goal scorer more often makes people think he is much better, when if you kept everything about them the same, but Mitch was the goal scorer and Auston the playmaker, people would hold Marner in Matthews level and vice versa.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

TB also gets the benefit of the tax thing and the fact they have been good for awhile now, which lots of times gets guys to take pay cuts to keep the band together. If Toronto ever gets a good run going, they will get people taking pay cuts as well. Also, it is largely believed that Auston and Mitch wanted more cause at that time Mike Babcock was still the coach and both players likely weren't happy about it.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
How about players that are undervalued with their current contract?

We all know Toronto throw the cash register at everyone.

VALUE should be the question

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad