Out of all of the $10M+ contracts present today, how many players are ACTUALLY worth $10M+?

How many players are worth $10M+?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
With the cap nowadays, teams are able to dish out double-digit figures to select few players. Now, it's not like the NBA where 30-40M contracts are handed out like candy, but still. We have had plenty of 10M+ contracts over the years.

Strictly speaking, out of all of the current players that have a 10M+ contract bestowed upon them, how many are actually worth the big bucks?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
10+ easily.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Matthews, Barkov, Kucherov, Hedman, Panarin, Makar, and Vasilevsky are all easily worth 10 mil IMO.

Then you can throw in a bunch of players that can be arguable like Point, Aho, etc.

edit: misread the thread. Out of the players making over $10 mil, not many. 3/13 (McDavid, Matthew, Panarin. 4 if Eichel comes back without missing a step).

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
10+ easily.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Mackinnon, Matthews, Barkov, Kucherov, Hedman, Panarin, Makar, and Vasilevsky are all easily worth 10 mil IMO.

Then you can throw in a bunch of players that can be arguable like Point, Aho, etc.

edit: misread the thread. Out of the players making over $10 mil, not many. 3/13 (McDavid, Matthew, Panarin. 4 if Eichel comes back without missing a step).
Haha no worries. The dichotomy is funny though. Going from an abundance of players to 3/13 hahha

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
51b555745aba2529eaf5463655df6e5e.png

After McDavid and Panarin, you could probably argue Matthews, Kane, and Eichel are worth it today. Then you have the next tier imo of Kopitar/Marner that are borderline, and the rest which are overpaid. I thought 2-4 might be a bit too low, so I went with the next option and just included everyone up to the players I see as borderline.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
In a strange way, It could be argued that only the CHI and LAK guys are worth it as they got paid for how much their success impacted the bottom line of the team, while the rest of the players are being paid for what the team hopes they will bring.

Still, I wish there was a Zero option to vote for, I don't care what other sports make, I think they're all grossly overpaid along with the owners. But that's another topic.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Realistically I'd say the top 10 are worth 10m

McDavid
Draisaitl
Kucherov
Pastrnak
Marchand
Matthews
MacKinnon
Barkov
Kane

(Calm down Leafers, it's not in order)

No goalie is worth that much. Closest would be Hellebuyck

Reactions: Kaner9

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In order from highest paid to lowest paid - and assuming this is specifically for next year only, vs for the life of contract:

McDavid -
Yes, worth it. Pretty obvious
Panarin - Also yes. Pace of 113 points over 82 games past 2 seasons. I worry in the long-term he might decline before end of contract, but not a huge risk, he's still not too old.
Matthews - Yes. Good age, super consistent since day 1, no worries. Not as good as McDavid or anything - but in terms of ability + expected future consistency, he's worth it today and moving forward
Karlsson - Nope. I've been saying for 2 years he'll certainly bounce back, and he hasn't come close to. In his current form, he's barely even worth half of that. Maybe he still bounces back, but it seems unlikely.
Doughty - Nope. He had a better season last year, but overall it's a few disappointing seasons in a row. Maybe if Kings have a strong year he'll shine through again, but until that happens, nope. Maybe ~7-8M$. I do think he can bounce back though, but until he does it's no.
Tavares - Nope. Not far though. He plays 2C vs 1C in Toronto - I think if he were on a different team and if he played 1C he could put up ppg+ numbers still. I like his consistency and reliability. So i'll say no, but just barely.
Marner - Yes. Last 3 years paced for 94, 93 and 100 points. Super consistent scorer - are there 5 scorers in league who have been more consistent in past 3 years? I know there's concerns for playoffs, but he's hardly the only one in this list (Matthews/McDavid too). So to me - ~95+point player is worth 10M, so yes.
Kane - Yes. Very consistent high end scorer recent years. He's getting up there in age, so it's bound to become "no" soon. But for now, and until he declines, yes. His playoff track record certainly helps too, because even if he loses a step in season, if you make playoffs you know he'll be able to perform.
Toews - Nope. Pretty obvious. Maybe he comes back super strong, but I don't think so. If he comes back next year and has a reasonably good year, I'd say maybe ~8M$ or so, but doesn't produce enough for 10M in my opinion.
Price - Yes. Look at what he just did the past 2 playoffs. I know most will say no - but they will simply be wrong. Matthews, McDavid, Marner...none of them managed to be differentiators for their teams in playoffs. Price did, and was spectacular. Is he worth 10M$ right now because of it? Absolutely. Is he worth 10M$ for the life of his contract? That's a lot more tricky. Once a goalie declines, his value goes to almost 0, because having a lot of $$ for a backup is pointless. But for right now - 100% yes.
Bob - lol no. Speaking of declining goalies. He's essentially worthless. He's paid to be the #1 elite starter his team can rely in. He's lost a step, and has therefore become useless. It's not like a forward where if you can't produce 90 points anymore, producing 70 is still good. With goalies, you're either elite, or you're not. He sucked in season, and was even worst in playoffs.
Kopitar - This one is tough....going to say no. I'll lump him in with Tavares. Close, but no. Maybe others will disagree, close though
Eichel - Yes. Assuming his injuries aren't going to impact him too much, because otherwise of course that could change. But aside from that, super talented, much like Matthews very consistent so no worries paying him 10M$ today + for life of contract.

So I guess out of 13 players making 10m+ going into next year, I believe only 7 are worth it, with 2 others being quite close.

If you expanded the question to ask how many NHL players overall are worthy of 10m+, the answers climbs to more than 10 very easily. Guys like Mack, Drai, etc etc easily worth it.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid
Panarin
Matthews
Marner
Kane
Eichel
Kopitar

Tavares isn't worth $10M+ on the Leafs but he would be on just about any other team where he'd be the clear #1 center

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, Eichel, Kane

There are others not making 10 that are worth it, but that's not what the OP asked.

Reactions: tucker3434

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, Kane, Maybe Marner if he can step up his playoff game and Eichel depending on how he recovers

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
How the hell does "10+" have so many votes????????????

that's insane that people think this group of 13 players that 10 of them impact the game that much for their team

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
51b555745aba2529eaf5463655df6e5e.png

After McDavid and Panarin, you could probably argue Matthews, Kane, and Eichel are worth it today. Then you have the next tier imo of Kopitar/Marner that are borderline, and the rest which are overpaid. I thought 2-4 might be a bit too low, so I went with the next option and just included everyone up to the players I see as borderline.

Funny how Matthews is worth 10, but not Marner, when Marner had more pts than Matthews and basically same playoff pts.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
People who think the majority of players are overpaid should be disqualified. I mean, it's a market and not your personal opinion of what a player should earn.

You can often read comments that make it seem like every single contract is an overpayment, which is completely ridiculous in principle. I mean, yes you have contracts that end up being overpayments for what the player brings but the margin to determine an overpayment is probably much bigger than people think. First, some people are not qualified to properly understand what a market is, and even if you are, you'd need to do an extensive research to be able to determine which contracts are overpaid or not. So outside of a few obvious ones (like Bobrovsky, Karlsson), it's actually very hard to tell.

In regards to only 10 M$ and above contracts, it's a bit easier as there will be some guys who became clearly overpaid but I coud only say with certainty that out of these 10 M$+ guys, only Sergei Bobrovsky and Erik Karlsson are

There's several on the fence like Drew Doughty, Carey Price, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews but I can't certify it one way or the other without an extensive research

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Stealing @bobholly39 format

McDavid - Yes

Panarin - Biased yes, I think he's worth his pay.

Matthews - easily

Karlsson - Nope. He was before the contract but not lately.

Doughty - Nope.

Tavares - Nope. He's not someone you win with, he shouldn't get paid like it

Marner - No way Jose. Regular season yes, playoffs def no.

Kane - Yes. Easily.

Toews - Maybe? Cup wins mean yes but lately no.

Price - overall no. When he's on his game yes but way too inconsistent.

Bob - Obvious no.

Kopitar - Easy yes.

Eichel - Yes.

Before I broke it down I though maybe 2-4 but once I looked at each name it's closer to 6-7 for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad