Our weak PP

Codo37

Apr 7, 2008
Germany
Some thoughts on the Powerplay (Our biggeset weakness)
The last two PP Goals we scored were against CAR (PW46 with a slapper for the 1-1 tie) and the 4-3 against TOR from Kyle Turris. The diffrece was: PW46 was on the right side on both goals and finished one with a onetimer and on the second one he passes to EK65 (on the left side!!!). Karlsson makes a slappass to Turris and he had a wide open spot to score the 4-3 GW Goal.

I dont understand why we can use this setup everytime. We always have Karlsson on the right side where he can not take onetimer and Wier or Hoffman on the left side, so they can't take onetimers too. Its to easy to defend with this setup, i dont understand why the coaches dont change this.

Sorry for my english, its not the best, greets from Germany :)

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
Shouldn't be that big of a concern. The Bruins had very weak power play in the 2011 playoffs, didn't seem to affect them much.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
The biggest problem on the PP is that they are not able to enter the zone properly. And when they enter the zone they aren't able to start the cycling.

It's funny how poor they play on the board when they are on the PP compare of when they plus ES.

They are not winning battle. It always seems like they are battling 1 on 1 while they should outnumber them. If there is 2 enemy on the board you have to be 3.

Other thing, the play is always at the blue line. They have to bring the play down to open the point. It's easy to cover Karlsson if the puck always come to him.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
I'd love to see what kind of damages the Condra-Pageau-Lazar could do on PP. They have puck control and can generate some wicked offensive plays. Maybe next season...

Codo37

Apr 7, 2008
Germany
All points right, i know the zone entry, cycling and boardbattles are way worse than on evenstrange, but the setup in the zone is way better. There are a lot things to fix on the PP but it will help in close games if it workes better :nod:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's so hard to judge powerplays. Seems like fans of every team complain about their PP.

The only really deadly powerplays I can even remember were the Oilers glory years, and a few years in Pittsburgh with Mario-Jagr and later with Crosby-Malkin.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
It's so hard to judge powerplays. Seems like fans of every team complain about their PP.

The only really deadly powerplays I can even remember were the Oilers glory years, and a few years in Pittsburgh with Mario-Jagr and later with Crosby-Malkin.

i've been reading a lot of other teams boards lately and I agree... I haven't found 1 fan base that says they have an awesome PP, its all ****ing and groaning about how bad their PP is... Many of them also want to 'decline' ... I like the way we move it around when we do get setup up, but the passes aren't fast enuff or tape to tape enuff, to get good lane shots... seems like they receive the pass a lil out of position or have to pull it back and move it around before they take the shot.... I think better passing with quicker shots would help a lot

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
With the exception of yesterday's game, Pageau has drawn six penalties and was never given any time on the PP. He as shown very promising offensive abilities and his line have been awesome on puck possession lately. I would love to see how this line could perform on the PP.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think the PP has been good at everything except finishing. Not many teams have a PP thats consistently good.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
My biggest issue with the PP is how rarely we use the downlow option. I know last year a few times we had success with the downlow play to Ryan who would do the "JVR" move and instead of shoot, pass it cross crease for the tap in. Lately the whole powerplay has been "give it to Erik and hope he can get it through"

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think the PP has been good at everything except finishing. Not many teams have a PP thats consistently good.

This is what I've been thinking - its been everything except execution. They generally tend to move the puck well, open up seams etc but haven't been getting the goals. They just need to keep doing what they are doing and not panic

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
DUnno about that. "What they've been doing" is scoring on the PP at under a 16% rate.

Results are what count in this particular case.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Our PP is definitely a problem.

We're so much better in transition.

Stone, Ryan, Karlsson, these are the guys that are going to have to get it done.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I don't understand why we don't have the onetimer option from the point. :pullhair:

Wiercioch scored a beautiful goal with a onetime Vs Carolina but it was a set play from the faceoff. 99% of the time, he's on the left side and Karlsson on the right.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
On the PP, yeah we do, pretty badly also.

In the grand scheme, sure we have moved on, but he is exactly what is missing from our PP.

He is too terrible at every other aspect of his game to warrant any feeling of nostalgia from not having him waiting for a pass on the PP.

The PP is actually coming along nicely.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Not really. We can score tons of goals at even strength. More than any other team in the league actually.
Fixing PP is just a matter of coaching at this point.

Not really.

I agree with Poutine. It doesn't mean you 'miss Spezza' for everything, but on the PP, yes they certainly do.

He was the half wall playmaker, who also had the shot.. as of now it seems we have Bobby Ryan on the half wall passing but not shooting.. or Zbad on the half wall shooting but not passing..

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
I get the feeling that the coaching staff prefers to put Karlsson on the right side because it's easier for him to move the puck from there. I'd prefer him and Weircioch on their off-wings though. Even when we have zone time on the PP we can't generate any shots. At least if we had the one-time option from the point we'd have something to work with.

I also feel that the PK units are overplaying on Karlsson. I think that we might need to keep the puck off us his stick. If the other 4 PP plays actually demonstrate that they can be a threat then that might take some heat off of Karlsson. If not, he can be a decoy and we play essentially a 4-on-3 PP. Those shouldn't be poor odds.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
its way to point orientated. Needs a kovalev or spezza on the boards or a sedin behind the net. The forwards need to do more and karlsson needs to do less. It also has to be quicker. I look at tampa's pp and it seems to really screw up teams. They use one point man in the middle with i believe the other point man being closer in along to wall but not so far back where hes would be left out of a rush going the other way.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Hossa-Bonk-Havlat
Alfie-Redden

The only Sens PP I was confident would score everytime they went on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad