Our Toronto Maple Leafs - An Offensive Juggernaut

• Thread starter BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
  • Start date

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

With tonight's hattrick heroics from Phil 'The Thrill" Kessel, our very own Leafs now sit atop the Eastern Conference in total number of goals scored. When looked at as a per game average, we are barely behind the Penguins (3.33 to 3.30). If Clarkson can play as well as he has in the past, that will just help our offense even more.

I know it's early, but if we can find some way to sustain our performance I think it is POSSIBLE that we lead our conference in goals. This is especially the case if Crosby gets injured at some point like he does every year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Leafs have had no issue scoring for years. Always near the top. That hasn't been the issue. And I hate to admit it but Clarkson really doesn't add that much firepower up front. You give most players enough minutes and they'll pop in 20 goals.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Most teams have a main line they feel most comfortable sending out to score a goal. We have two. It's our biggest strength in my opinion.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The Leafs have had no issue scoring for years. Always near the top. That hasn't been the issue. And I hate to admit it but Clarkson really doesn't add that much firepower up front. You give most players enough minutes and they'll pop in 20 goals.

The man has scored at a ~30G pace (or flat out scored 30G) the past two seasons and he doesn't add much firepower.. :badidea:

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Yeah I know but we're doing even better. Having the most goals overall and being almost a tie with Pittsburgh for most goals per game is something to be especially happy about.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
We have some nice firepower. I hope adding Clarkson helps to stabalize the second line which has fluctuated a bit with Kadri moving up and down and Lupul the only real set guy on the line.

Still we definitely have some nice weapons up front and when they are on their game they are a dangerous group.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Leafs have finished in the league's top 10 in goal scoring for the past two years. They are currently second in the league. If anyone is surprised that the team can score goals, then they haven't been paying attention.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We really are a stacked offensive team.

Probably the weakest part of the advanced stats crowd analysis of the leafs is that whether they realize it or not, they are claiming that the Leafs are a poor offensive team due to taking few shots....but with the production history of the players on this roster, this team is going to score a lot of goals, no matter how many or how few shots they take.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
BXO28xUCQAA1F7V.png

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
The man has scored at a ~30G pace (or flat out scored 30G) the past two seasons and he doesn't add much firepower.. :badidea:
It's because after the big splurge in 2011/12 and the first dozen games last season, he fell off a cliff. So you look at his numbers before 2011/12 and he's basically a 15-goal scorer.
He's a 30-goal scorer the same way Kulemin is a 30-goal scorer.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
It's because after the big splurge in 2011/12 and the first dozen games last season, he fell off a cliff. So you look at his numbers before 2011/12 and he's basically a 15-goal scorer.
He's a 30-goal scorer the same way Kulemin is a 30-goal scorer.

Except that Nikolai Kulemin was a 30G scorer 3 seasons ago.. David Clarkson was on a ~30G pace just last season.

Last time I checked goals are all recorded equally whether they are scored in bunches, on the PP or at ES, early in the year, late in the year..etc ..etc The only goals worth more to me happen in May and beyond..

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Except that Nikolai Kulemin was a 30G scorer 3 seasons ago.. David Clarkson was on a ~30G pace just last season.

Last time I checked goals are all recorded equally whether they are scored in bunches, on the PP or at ES, early in the year, late in the year..etc ..etc The only goals worth more to me happen in May and beyond..

The point is that he went on a goal-scoring splurge all in one segment. He didn't do it before and he didn't do it after. Calling him a 30-goal scorer is like calling Jason Blake a 40-goal scorer.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The point is that he went on a goal-scoring splurge all in one segment. He didn't do it before and he didn't do it after. Calling him a 30-goal scorer is like calling Jason Blake a 40-goal scorer.
The last time I checked David Clarkson scored a total of 45G over the course of 128 games spread over his 2 most recent seasons. That equates to .35GPG or a pace of 29G per 82GP season. Making him a ~30G scorer over his past 128GP.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
The last time I checked David Clarkson scored a total of 45G over the course of 128 games spread over his 2 most recent seasons. That equates to .35GPG or a pace of 29G per 82GP season. Making him a ~30G scorer over his past 128GP.

And he had 9 pts. in his last 36 games (can't remember how many of those points were goals).

That segment equates to a 20.5 point season.
And you could go back before 2011/12 and find similar numbers.

Which segment do you want to believe?

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
And he had 9 pts. in his last 36 games (can't remember how many of those points were goals).

That segment equates to a 20.5 point season.
And you could go back before 2011/12 and find similar numbers.

Which segment do you want to believe?
Let me ask you:

Which is a bigger sample size.. 36 games or 128 games?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
We really are a stacked offensive team.

Probably the weakest part of the advanced stats crowd analysis of the leafs is that whether they realize it or not, they are claiming that the Leafs are a poor offensive team due to taking few shots....but with the production history of the players on this roster, this team is going to score a lot of goals, no matter how many or how few shots they take.

No. Remember the first period where we had two shots? Remember the rest of the game when we started shooting?

Bowen said it best: "if the Leafs had scored on every shot they took that period, they'd be up 2-1." We were on pace for 4 shots halfway through the 2nd. You can't win like that, even with a team of Sidney Crosbys. Shots are important Zeke. Deal with it.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
No. Remember the first period where we had two shots? Remember the rest of the game when we started shooting?

Bowen said it best: "if the Leafs had scored on every shot they took that period, they'd be up 2-1." We were on pace for 4 shots halfway through the 2nd. You can't win like that, even with a team of Sidney Crosbys. Shots are important Zeke. Deal with it.

Now consider that one of those shots was a feeler shot in the first 40 seconds of the period from Mason Raymond that had practically no chance of going in.

That means we took 1 shot the rest of the period :laugh: (Which came ~17mins later from Paul Ranger). :help:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

He's scored at a 20+gl pace in three of his last four seasons.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

This team is going to score lots and lots of goals this year.

Deal with it.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Let me ask you:

Which is a bigger sample size.. 36 games or 128 games?

A guy has played 426 NHL games and you want to call him a 30-goal scorer based on his highest 128 game segment and forget the rest.

All inclusive, that makes him a 19-goal scorer, trending down.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
This team is going to score lots and lots of goals this year.

Deal with it.

The Leafs are a very odd team, were a team that takes very little shots yet we're always amongst the top teams in scoring, the lesson to take here is we have an unreal shooting %. Zeke you can argue all you want this team will score lots of goals and if they keep up their shooting % then yes you're right, however as a whole the Leafs have been terrible this year for the most part, don't let their 7-3-0 record fool you because its very deceiving out of those 10 games I'd say we've been equal to dominant 4 of those ten games ( Montreal, Edmonton, Nashville, Anahiem ) the rest we have been embarassed in, only real reason we are where we are is because goaltending has been elite, if we were to even get average goaltending we'd be fighting it out with the flyers for last place in the conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad