Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Boucher would make sense for the Lemaire connection if nothing else but we've had multiple chances to hire him and didn't so I don't think it'll happen.

I figured we'd hire him as an assistant a couple years ago.

Of course we hired my favorite assistant of all time instead, so I'm happy anyway.:sarcasm::shakehead

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not really a fan of the Walrus either, but who knows how if would work out on another team. And if you're going to say look what the Sens have done without him, they're basically where they are now because of unsustainable goaltending. It's like the saying show me a good goaltender and I'll show you a good coach. Look at Minnesota. Everybody was writing Yeo off before they got Dubnyk and he caught fire. Conversely, Mike Smith blows ass in Arizona and Tippett is on the chopping block. It's amazing what getting some saves will do for a coach.

I'm not even gonna bring up what the Senators are doing now. I also agree that that is unsustainable goaltending and they still aren't good.

It's not even that I think Paul MacLean is necessarily a bad coach, I just don't think he's such a great coach and don't see why he's so fascinating to some people.

And I'm split on Tippett. He has a history of being a very good coach, but Arizona has been getting outshot badly for years now. Even that year they made the WCF. There's that unsustainable goaltending again. Mike Smith had a HUGE year and playoffs that was to never be repeated again.

Tippett hasn't had a good possession system for years down there in Arizona.

I would still take him over most of the other guys though. I'd take Todd McLellan over them as well, and I don't even care for him that much.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What we need is somebody who can squeeze blood from a stone when it comes to our offense. But they also need to be able to bring the kids on D along. It's kind of a balancing act. Maybe McLellan as head coach and keep Stevens to coach the defense? Although I am a little worried that Stevens has been part of the reason we've played guys like Volchenkov, Salvador, Fraser too much in recent years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What we need is somebody who can squeeze blood from a stone when it comes to our offense. But they also need to be able to bring the kids on D along. It's kind of a balancing act. Maybe McLellan as head coach and keep Stevens to coach the defense? Although I am a little worried that Stevens has been part of the reason we've played guys like Volchenkov, Salvador, Fraser too much in recent years.

Volch barely played 5 on 5 last year, and the year before that was the log jam and our defense hadn't arrived yet.

Stevens or Lou it is clear they didn't want to have 4 kids in the line up at once, but they all wrestled their way on, and I don't really disagree. Letting them flounder out there doesn't help them.

They just want at least one tough stay at home type in the line up and no one fits that bill until Santini arrives. Plus they want someone to help Greene in being a stabilizing vet. Lou just needs to sign someone better now that Sal and Fraser are out of contract.

The idea is sound, we just haven't had the players to pull it off correctly. Free agency can fix this.

Plus Stevens seems to be the one that wants to push the kids to play. It really seems his issue with Pete might of been over not playing Lars enough because Stevens put him right with Greene when he took over. He seems really intent to get these kids playing right and playing a lot.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I'm not even gonna bring up what the Senators are doing now. I also agree that that is unsustainable goaltending and they still aren't good.

It's not even that I think Paul MacLean is necessarily a bad coach, I just don't think he's such a great coach and don't see why he's so fascinating to some people.

And I'm split on Tippett. He has a history of being a very good coach, but Arizona has been getting outshot badly for years now. Even that year they made the WCF. There's that unsustainable goaltending again. Mike Smith had a HUGE year and playoffs that was to never be repeated again.

Tippett hasn't had a good possession system for years down there in Arizona.

I would still take him over most of the other guys though. I'd take Todd McLellan over them as well, and I don't even care for him that much.

Im wondering, since you seem to dislike just about every coaching option.

Beside Babcock, Who in the world do you want Lou to hire? Who is your pick?

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Whoever Lou decides to bring in, I would want someone with some NHL experience and not just a year or two. This team is going to experience some growing pains as we transition into being a good team again and that will take a coach that doesn't lose it when things get frustrating. That's one of my reasons I don't want Boucher. Though all the new gifs we would have would be funny, I feel that would be the extent of our enjoyment with him. That's my reasoning for guys like McLellan, Tippett, Babcock, and hell, even Julien if he gets canned in Boston. Wouldn't be the first time Lou has brought back a coach and Julien has even said he learned a lot from his time in NJ. Not saying it's the best choice but I'd like it better than a coach with only a couple years on his resume. I will say that I really want Stevens to stay on as the D coach. The development of our young D players since he came in has been dramatic and there's no doubt he's a great influence. I don't think he would be the best choice for head coach yet but maybe in the future, if that's even what he wants.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Whoever Lou decides to bring in, I would want someone with some NHL experience and not just a year or two. This team is going to experience some growing pains as we transition into being a good team again and that will take a coach that doesn't lose it when things get frustrating. That's one of my reasons I don't want Boucher. Though all the new gifs we would have would be funny, I feel that would be the extent of our enjoyment with him. That's my reasoning for guys like McLellan, Tippett, Babcock, and hell, even Julien if he gets canned in Boston. Wouldn't be the first time Lou has brought back a coach and Julien has even said he learned a lot from his time in NJ. Not saying it's the best choice but I'd like it better than a coach with only a couple years on his resume. I will say that I really want Stevens to stay on as the D coach. The development of our young D players since he came in has been dramatic and there's no doubt he's a great influence. I don't think he would be the best choice for head coach yet but maybe in the future, if that's even what he wants.

I think this post is pretty spot on.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
This was from Dregger a few weeks ago regarding Tippett;

“The last time I spoke to someone close to Dave Tippett, which wasn’t that long ago, the message I got back was Dave and his wife are going to meet at the end of the season and they’re going to consider what’s best for their future. Now I don’t believe that anyone has come out and confirmed that Dave Tippett has an out in his contract. We know that he has term remaining on his contract. So until that happens it’s all very speculative, but if Dave Tippett and his wife are meeting, are going to discuss their future at the end of the year, that sounds to be like he’s got an out in his deal. If he has an out, I’d be surprised if he didn’t exercise it because I can’t imagine that Dave Tippett signed his contract extension again knowing that he was going to face a rebuild.”

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Tippett, maybe Boucher, but I like the idea of Blashill. Great reputation and track record with younger players as well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Im wondering, since you seem to dislike just about every coaching option.

Beside Babcock, Who in the world do you want Lou to hire? Who is your pick?

I already said McLellan, Tippett, and maybe even Bylsma are fine.

Hell no to Oates and Paul MacLean. **** Paul MacLean, still not sure what makes him so popular.

Let Melnyk continue to pay him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I already said McLellan, Tippett, and maybe even Bylsma are fine.

Hell no to Oates and Paul MacLean. **** Paul MacLean, still not sure what makes him so popular.

Let Melnyk continue to pay him.

Former Babcock assistant.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Former Babcock assistant.

So that makes him a good NHL head coach?

Jay Woodcroft was a Babcock assistants too, should we hire him if he's flushed in a possible McLellan purge in San Jose?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Volch barely played 5 on 5 last year, and the year before that was the log jam and our defense hadn't arrived yet.

Stevens or Lou it is clear they didn't want to have 4 kids in the line up at once, but they all wrestled their way on, and I don't really disagree. Letting them flounder out there doesn't help them.

They just want at least one tough stay at home type in the line up and no one fits that bill until Santini arrives. Plus they want someone to help Greene in being a stabilizing vet. Lou just needs to sign someone better now that Sal and Fraser are out of contract.

The idea is sound, we just haven't had the players to pull it off correctly. Free agency can fix this.

Plus Stevens seems to be the one that wants to push the kids to play. It really seems his issue with Pete might of been over not playing Lars enough because Stevens put him right with Greene when he took over. He seems really intent to get these kids playing right and playing a lot.

Pete has no idea how to develop players. He was the wrong coach for the team once we lost Parise and Kovalchuk left. We are no longer in win now mode - 2-3 years out from being a contender.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
So that makes him a good NHL head coach?

Jay Woodcroft was a Babcock assistants too, should we hire him if he's flushed in a possible McLellan purge in San Jose?

I could see Lou wanting MacLean. OTT FF% over the last 4 years was ranked 13th so it won't be the worst hire.

Not sure if you noticed, but there are 2 ways from getting a head coaching job in the NHL (95% of the time). 1) Former HC in the NHL and 2) Assistant to a quality HC in the NHL.

McLellan is also a former Babcock assistant.

The Lou should hire someone that actually wants to be here long term that knows how to get the best out of young players.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would have rather had Trotz than any of these guys, but obviously Dumbeor did enough to deserve a two year extension after last season. :shakehead

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure if you noticed, but there are 2 ways from getting a head coaching job in the NHL (95% of the time). 1) Former HC in the NHL and 2) Assistant to a quality HC in the NHL.

McLellan is also a former Babcock assistant.

The Lou should hire someone that actually wants to be here long term that knows how to get the best out of young players.

From what Ottawa fans have said, Walrus wasn't good with young players. Ottawa was also outshot a lot during his time there, like we have been all year. He shouldn't be hired.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
From what Ottawa fans have said, Walrus wasn't good with young players. Ottawa was also outshot a lot during his time there, like we have been all year. He shouldn't be hired.

He was a two time Jack Adam award nominee (1 time winner). OTT roster wasn't anything special and he got enough out of them.

Walrus won't have a choice with our roster. Best case Lou picks up one D veteran which leads him to have to play Severson/Larsson/Gelinas/Merrill.

Forward wise there aren't many young players that actually deserve playing time.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
On the downside, Oates is an awful coach. On the positive side, hiring him would pretty much guarantee an overhaul of the organization in a year.

Anyway, that's who I think it will be.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
On the downside, Oates is an awful coach. On the positive side, hiring him would pretty much guarantee an overhaul of the organization in a year.

Anyway, that's who I think it will be.

I think if Oates is named HC then Lou is in rebuild mode which IMO would be a good sign. Oates seems to be a teacher and a guy willing to develop players.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I think if Oates is named HC then Lou is in rebuild mode which IMO would be a good sign. Oates seems to be a teacher and a guy willing to develop players.

Oates developing and coaching young guys is the very circumstance the saying "the blind leading the blind" was created for.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I want a fresh set of eyes as head coach. not the same old rehashed crap

We (including me) criticize Lou for hiring from within but Julien, Sutter and Pete were all outsiders to be fair. Lemaire and MacLean were the only recent hires that were 'insiders'. Of course the issue with hiring outsiders is coaches don't get to pick their entire staff, which is where Lou's control freak tendencies can hurt.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We (including me) criticize Lou for hiring from within but Julien, Sutter and Pete were all outsiders to be fair. Lemaire and MacLean were the only recent hires that were 'insiders'. Of course the issue with hiring outsiders is coaches don't get to pick their entire staff, which is where Lou's control freak tendencies can hurt.

Yep.

I would simply make him keep Stevens and Terreri. He can do with the rest as he chooses. But im not Lou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad