Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa's run is not reflecting well on Paul MacLean.

True enough...conversely Randy Carlyle might get a third kick at the can after people were complaining about him for two years when the Leafs were staying afloat, then cratered the minute he got fired.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I would just be worried that a coach wouldnt want to come to NJ because he wouldnt have control of his assistances. It seems like everyone we bring in just takes who we have in place and some of these guys may not be OK with that idea.

I dunno if Lou would be ok with someone coming in and firing Stevens which is why i believe Stevens has an inside track.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have zero clue where we're going to go with our next coach. Oates or Stevens seem the obvious favorites, but I'm not so sure. If Lou felt strongly about either of them, why go with the hydra approach for this long?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
True enough...conversely Randy Carlyle might get a third kick at the can after people were complaining about him for two years when the Leafs were staying afloat, then cratered the minute he got fired.

Honestly a very good point. The Leafs were at least still scoring during their losing streak with him.

They stopped doing anything right after he was fired. Could definitely seem him getting a job somewhere.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
im one of the guys who might be open to guy boucher. I don't see much else out there that is realistic. if st. Louis loses in the first round, does Hitchcock get the can? if so, I would be all over him. perfect coach for the devils IMO (as close to lemaire as you'll prolly get). so that's my input, boucher or if Hitchcock somehow becomes available. in an unrelated topic, wonder what the chances are that pete finds work as a HC......I think he'll catch on somewhere. if st louis, san jose, boston, anaheim or Pittsburgh get rid of their coaches due to missing the playoffs or underachieving in them, he could be a good fit possibly. wouldn't rule out Toronto or philly either, especially the latter.

Last edited:

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
If Oates is hired as head coach likely $0 of my income will be disposed on this team next season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I could see him bringing Pete back before Julien :laugh:

Not now though...maybe down the road.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hiring Foligno to be the head coach might be enough to get me to stop being a Devils fan, I'm dead serious.

At least until he is gone.

He's about as qualified as MacLean.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I give it about 30 games before we hate whoever gets hired. Assuming it's not Oates, who we'll all hate immediately.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There is zero shot Foligno's the next coach. I'll steal RG's chicken little Devil avatar for a month if we promote Foligno. I'd do it if we promoted Oates too except half the board might beat me to it :P

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Voted for Stevens because it's a total Lou move, I'd prefer Paul Maclean though.

It would almost be worth it just to see the Bleed rant and what MacLean looks like without a mustache. Then again Chere would have a field day cause he wouldn't look like such a boob after all for suggesting MacLean would be the next coach.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
In all reality if it's not Oates (hope not) or Stevens (meh) I can see it being someone not even on the list like Boucher or something.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What exactly is so good about Paul MacLean? I'd like to know.

He won the Jack Adams on the back of unsustainably high goaltending from all 3 guys that played for him that year, while they were giving up 30+ shots per game.

Because he's a Babcock protege? I could be an assistant under Babcock too. Would you want me to be a head coach in the NHL?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Boucher would make sense for the Lemaire connection if nothing else but we've had multiple chances to hire him and didn't so I don't think it'll happen.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not really a fan of the Walrus either, but who knows how if would work out on another team. And if you're going to say look what the Sens have done without him, they're basically where they are now because of unsustainable goaltending. It's like the saying show me a good goaltender and I'll show you a good coach. Look at Minnesota. Everybody was writing Yeo off before they got Dubnyk and he caught fire. Conversely, Mike Smith blows ass in Arizona and Tippett is on the chopping block. It's amazing what getting some saves will do for a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad